• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on ArriveCan customs declaration (US resident flying into Canada)

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
So I am in the process of filling out the Advance CBSA Declaration online using ArriveCan for traveling into Canada from the US (US resident)
I'm assuming I need to declare all the following but wanted feedback from those with experience with this to make sure I'm not overly thinking this our would be unnecessarily incurring more time due to declaring something I didn't need to (I'm also doing some web searches as well)

My questions are:

1) I assume I need to declare my name brand (MuscleTech) protein shake powder I will be taking with me (for breakfast each day). It has whey in it which is made from a dairy product so not sure?

2) I assume I need to declare some snacking almonds I'm taking with me (Fleet Farm California unsalted not roasted almonds).

3) I have a small hunting knife for hiking that will be in a checked bag (plan on doing some hiking). I assume I definitely need to declare that.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In driving to Canada we have never declared these type items.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely put "yes" on the question about nuts, seeds, vegetables and dairy. They'll ask you what it is, and you tell them. It takes 5 seconds, and those items will almost certainly be fine and they wave you through. If you select no and are selected for a random search and are found to have lied (and almonds clearly fit that category) you would be fined or deemed inadmissible. They don't randomly search many people, but why take the risk.

The knife is trickier. Assuming it isn't a switchblade or similar (which are illegal in Canada) it should be allowed. But if you check the yes for weapons box it will likely be a longer than 5 second conversation with the officer...

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Greg G - ArriveCan use is no longer required

I agree with @bizaro86 on your declaration of food & knife

The government merged their pre-existing customs app into arrive can so they wouldn't have to write off the costs of arrivecan, which was pretty unpopular by the time it ceased being mandatory.

So now it has nothing to do with its original purpose, but you can submit your customs declaration in advance and skip the machines at the airport. I generally don't bother as I find the lines in Calgary where I clear are almost always very short to get a machine (2 minutes at most).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I’d agree on everything mentioned so far. I don’t see an issue with the items you’ve described. Just declare them and you’ll be on your way.

I don’t think I’ve really observed many people using the app. Machines are probably just as fast. I use Nexus. It takes maybe a minute clear customs. I handed the slip to the agent. He asked where I was flying from, I answered “São Paulo” and he waved me through.

Dress neatly, cover your tattoos, be polite and you should be good to go with the border agents :)

I hope you enjoy your trip!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I don’t think I’ve really observed many people using the app. Machines are probably just as fast.
When you use the ArriveCan app the system remembers all your answers to the questions. You don't need the app at the airport (it needs to be filled out within 24 hrs of your arrival time) and still need to go to the machine, but as soon as you scan your passport the computer knows you have answered all those questions and it immediately spits out the slip of paper with a code on it. No answering any questions on that machine. You can then proceed to a special line with the paper and, in my 8 flights to Toronto this past winter/spring using the ArriveCan app, I walked right up to an agent with the slip of paper, he looked at the code on it and I was directed to the exit. For most of my flights I was less than 5 minutes in the YYZ Customs Hall. If I had known a year ago that I was going to be making that many flights back and forth to Toronto I would have applied for Nexus, but I think I did pretty well without it.

PSA: For anybody arriving at YYZ that hasn't done so recently, there are some of those machines in the hallway between where you get off the plane and the Customs Hall. Do Not Stop at those ones unless there is no line up. There are many dozens more down in the Customs Hall. I saw so many people lining up in the arrivals hallway meanwhile when I got downstairs to the Customs Hall there were tons of empty machines.

~Diane

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you use the ArriveCan app the system remembers all your answers to the questions. You don't need the app at the airport (it needs to be filled out within 24 hrs of your arrival time) and still need to go to the machine, but as soon as you scan your passport the computer knows you have answered all those questions and it immediately spits out the slip of paper with a code on it. No answering any questions on that machine. You can then proceed to a special line with the paper and, in my 8 flights to Toronto this past winter/spring using the ArriveCan app, I walked right up to an agent with the slip of paper, he looked at the code on it and I was directed to the exit. For most of my flights I was less than 5 minutes in the YYZ Customs Hall. If I had known a year ago that I was going to be making that many flights back and forth to Toronto I would have applied for Nexus, but I think I did pretty well without it.

PSA: For anybody arriving at YYZ that hasn't done so recently, there are some of those machines in the hallway between where you get off the plane and the Customs Hall. Do Not Stop at those ones unless there is no line up. There are many dozens more down in the Customs Hall. I saw so many people lining up in the arrivals hallway meanwhile when I got downstairs to the Customs Hall there were tons of empty machines.

~Diane
Last year, the machine asked me if I wanted to change the declaration I did in the ArriveCan app before printing. It doesn't ask this question now ?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Last year, the machine asked me if I wanted to change the declaration I did in the ArriveCan app before printing. It doesn't ask this question now ?
Yes, I believe it still does.

~Diane

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL

Yes, I believe it still does.

~Diane
It did ask me yesterday. Customs officer asked me about the food and firearms /weapons declarations I made and accepted my explanations as stated above. Took just a minute to do so and be waived on

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Thanks for the advice. A Pearson Airport employee was playing confuse-a-traveler with us in the hallway, telling us we were required to line up at those specific machines. I finally convinced my wife to proceed directly to the Customs Hall and use Nexus. It saved us at least a half hour.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
So I am in the process of filling out the Advance CBSA Declaration online using ArriveCan for traveling into Canada from the US (US resident)
I'm assuming I need to declare all the following but wanted feedback from those with experience with this to make sure I'm not overly thinking this our would be unnecessarily incurring more time due to declaring something I didn't need to (I'm also doing some web searches as well)

My questions are:

1) I assume I need to declare my name brand (MuscleTech) protein shake powder I will be taking with me (for breakfast each day). It has whey in it which is made from a dairy product so not sure?

2) I assume I need to declare some snacking almonds I'm taking with me (Fleet Farm California unsalted not roasted almonds).

3) I have a small hunting knife for hiking that will be in a checked bag (plan on doing some hiking). I assume I definitely need to declare that.
Yes declare food and weapons

Reactions: cd5

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Class action lawsuit being filed over ArriveCan app issues
Lawsuit is to be filed on behalf of the 1000's of Canadians who were incorrectly told to quarantine due to IT issues with the app.

Application for class action lawsuit filed over ArriveCan app issues - Montreal Gazette , Feb 21-2024

Might be some TUG members who could be included.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Class action lawsuit being filed over ArriveCan app issues
Lawsuit is to be filed on behalf of the 1000's of Canadians who were incorrectly told to quarantine due to IT issues with the app.

Application for class action lawsuit filed over ArriveCan app issues - Montreal Gazette , Feb 21-2024

Might be some TUG members who could be included.
Interesting. With all the other things I have heard about the app and the procurement process, I am not surprised. This sounds like it will just end up costing Canadian taxpayers even more.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Interesting. With all the other things I have heard about the app and the procurement process, I am not surprised. This sounds like it will just end up costing Canadian taxpayers even more.
Hi @dioxide45 - and if you ever had ArriveCan on your phone, I would suggest making sure it is removed . I personally do not trust that the app wasn't compromising personal data, similar to the story of the Timbits app

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

In Oct. 2021 we (DH & I) along with our adult DD and my elderly father returned from the Netherlands. We were all fully vaccinated, in fact DH & I had one more vax than necessary (& other people our age) due to us getting our first one in Belize when Covid first started and way before Canada was giving the first ones to 65+ yr olds. We had to have a PCR test the day before our flight and another one when we arrived in Toronto which were both negative. Two days later I received a call asking about my quarantine. The poor woman got me at a bad time and I let her have it! I told her in no uncertain terms that I had gotten 2 negative PCR tests within 48 hrs and was not told to quarantine and neither were the other 3 people I traveled with. I told her I had already been out shopping, running errands and visiting family and I had no intention of quarantining unnecessarily since the govt also forced me to quarantine in the previous spring (paying $1500. Cndn to stay 3 days in a gov't approved hotel followed by 11 days in our house) after 3 negative PCR tests within 72 hrs and being fully vaccinated.
The next day I got a text message from the gov't about quarantining and I marked it as spam and blocked the number!

We still use the Arrive Can app as I think it saves us a lot of time going through customs, but I only install it the day before we fly home then delete/uninstall it after I get home.

~Diane

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
OK, now I'm worried. I'm taking a cruise from CA to Vancouver and staying 3 days then flying home.

Are there still Covid restrictions etc for tourists arriving in Canada?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, now I'm worried. I'm taking a cruise from CA to Vancouver and staying 3 days then flying home.

No. And don’t use ArriveCAN. It doesn’t save you time. They’ve highly automated the border clearing now and you can use the kiosks quickly.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Oct. 2021 we (DH & I) along with our adult DD and my elderly father returned from the Netherlands. We were all fully vaccinated, in fact DH & I had one more vax than necessary (& other people our age) due to us getting our first one in Belize when Covid first started and way before Canada was giving the first ones to 65+ yr olds. We had to have a PCR test the day before our flight and another one when we arrived in Toronto which were both negative. Two days later I received a call asking about my quarantine. The poor woman got me at a bad time and I let her have it! I told her in no uncertain terms that I had gotten 2 negative PCR tests within 48 hrs and was not told to quarantine and neither were the other 3 people I traveled with. I told her I had already been out shopping, running errands and visiting family and I had no intention of quarantining unnecessarily since the govt also forced me to quarantine in the previous spring (paying $1500. Cndn to stay 3 days in a gov't approved hotel followed by 11 days in our house) after 3 negative PCR tests within 72 hrs and being fully vaccinated.
The next day I got a text message from the gov't about quarantining and I marked it as spam and blocked the number!

We still use the Arrive Can app as I think it saves us a lot of time going through customs, but I only install it the day before we fly home then delete/uninstall it after I get home.

~Diane
Can you not get Nexus? The lines are always shorter and there are maybe 4 buttons to press. They usually don’t ask me any questions when I go through - perhaps where I am arriving from.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, none at all.

This is just the fallout from the various things they did poorly in the past. Leaving aside the politics/corruption of arrivecan, and whether those were good rules or not, there were often technical issues that caused people who didn't need to quarantine under the rules to get quarantine notices. Now they're sueing.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

@moonstone - you were in my ArriveCan thoughts.
Maybe the class action lawsuit will get you $omething.
Yes, that would be nice. Filling out that form is on my 'to do' list for today (right after calling Mastercard to see if we can get a refund on our now cancelled Lynx flight in 10 days). We actually had to quarantine twice unnecessarily (IMHO) due to being more than fully vaccinated and having negative PCR (more accurate than a rapid) tests before coming back and upon arrival.

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No Covid restrictions at all now. You'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise and time in Vancouver.

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Can you not get Nexus? The lines are always shorter and there are maybe 4 buttons to press. They usually don’t ask me any questions when I go through - perhaps where I am arriving from.
We could get Nexus and still may apply in the near future, our DD & 1 DS have it and think it's great. For now we don't have much of a line up as I request a wheelchair due to my knee (awaiting replacement). I, along with DH following with our bags, are always taken right past the huge lines and right to the front of the line at security and customs. When we arrived at YYZ just before Christmas I think we were just 20 or 25 minutes from getting off the plane to walking out the doors and getting into our DD's car.

~Diane