• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question - Is this Starwood timeshare worth it? (New to Timeshare Ownership)

megalybrak

Reaction score
Hi all,

My parents own 3 Starwood timeshares (2 weeks at the Sheraton in Orlando FL, 1 week at the Westin in Maui HI, and 1 week at the Sheraton in Kaua’i HI.

They have all of them paid off, and are just paying the maintenance fees. However, they are looking to get rid of them as they don’t really utilize them fully and are sick of the fees.

My husband and I love Maui, and are interested in taking the Maui property from them. Maintenance fees are $1,300/year. This is for a 2 bedroom villa with an oceanfront balcony.

We have never owned any timeshares. But am curious if you all think it’s worth it? I just looked up the cost/night at the Westin Nanea resort in Maui, and for dates in August, it is around $800/night for the 2 bedroom oceanfront villa, if booking regularly without timeshare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Maintenance fees for two bedroom units at all of the Westin Maui properties are approximately twice that amount, so this is an every other year timeshare.

What is the unit view? imho, it's all about the view. If it is deeded oceanfront, definitely take it ("oceanfront balcony" can mean different things to different people; it's the deeded view that matters). The deed will show the view or the Vistana (formerly Starwood) webpage will show the view.

Last edited:

megalybrak

Reaction score
Maintenance fees for two bedroom units at all of the Westin Maui properties are approximately twice that amount, so this is an every other year timeshare.

What is the unit view? imho, it's all about the view. If it is deeded oceanfront, definitely take it ("oceanfront balcony" can mean different things to different people; it's the deeded view that matters). The deed will show the view or the Vistana (formerly Starwood) webpage will show the view.

Yes! It is an every other year timeshare. Should have mentioned that! And it is deeded oceanfront, just confirmed. We can afford the $1,300 yearly fee. Just curious if it’s worth it to take over. We love Maui and we love the Westin property there. Just trying to understand the pros/cons of taking over the fees.

mdditt2000

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
$800 per night sounds correct for Westin Nanae. I own a timeshare at Nanae for this reason. It’s so expensive to pay retail for 7 nights at Nanae. However we not able to use the timeshare this year due to covaid so we out of pocket. :(

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Yes! It is an every other year timeshare. Should have mentioned that! And it is deeded oceanfront, just confirmed. We can afford the $1,300 yearly fee. Just curious if it’s worth it to take over. We love Maui and we love the Westin property there. Just trying to understand the pros/cons of taking over the fees.

Take it (or give it to me if you don't want it). The unit has value, so if you don't want it at some point, it will be easy to dispose of. Annual 2bd OF units at the Westin properties sell for $18K - $35K depending on which of the three properties (and in the case of WKORV, which OF view).

This makes the pros/cons of taking over the fees much easier. You get a week in one of these units for 2 x $1460 (the annual fee of $1300 plus a $160 annual club fee). There is a certain rigidity to timeshare use (you will want to make your reservations exactly twelve months in advance to get the best view), but your out-of-pocket cost will be about 50% off renting retail and perhaps 35% less than renting a unit from an owner.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you don't want it I'll take it! Is it in Westin Kaanapali North or South property? We own Westin EOY OF North and love it. Great value for Maui because you can lock-it off and stay 2 weeks (1 bdrm, studio) or you can use one side and the other half as staroptions and stay in an Island view or other Westin/Sheraton property.

Can you give us info on the other properties? I didn't know they sold deeds to the Sheraton on Kauai. Are you sure it is not the Westin Princeville?

For the Florida properties are they Vistana Village Bella or Key West units?

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
If you don't want it I'll take it! Is it in Westin Kaanapali North or South property? We own Westin EOY OF North and love it. Great value for Maui because you can lock-it off and stay 2 weeks (1 bdrm, studio) or you can use one side and the other half as staroptions and stay in an Island view or other Westin/Sheraton property.

Can you give us info on the other properties? I didn't know they sold deeds to the Sheraton on Kauai. Are you sure it is not the Westin Princeville?

For the Florida properties are they Vistana Village Bella or Key West units?
My guess is that this is at the North phase. Trying to find a EOY OF center unit is just about impossible at the south phase. The south deluxe OF have much higher MF and I’ve never seen an EOY OF Deluxe contract on RedWeek.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Agree. Probably North. I saw an EOY Center for sale a few years ago. Very rare. It was almost as expensive as an annual. I have never seen a Deluxe EOY. Wondering if they exist.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi all,

My parents own 3 Starwood timeshares (2 weeks at the Sheraton in Orlando FL, 1 week at the Westin in Maui HI, and 1 week at the Sheraton in Kaua’i HI.

They have all of them paid off, and are just paying the maintenance fees. However, they are looking to get rid of them as they don’t really utilize them fully and are sick of the fees.

My husband and I love Maui, and are interested in taking the Maui property from them. Maintenance fees are $1,300/year. This is for a 2 bedroom villa with an oceanfront balcony.

We have never owned any timeshares. But am curious if you all think it’s worth it? I just looked up the cost/night at the Westin Nanea resort in Maui, and for dates in August, it is around $800/night for the 2 bedroom oceanfront villa, if booking regularly without timeshare.

Sounds like they own 4. Can you give us full details on the properties? The orlando ones. Are they vistana villages or vistana resort? Which phase are they in? Room size and week? That would help us give you advice. If they are in mandatory phases of vistana villages (key west or Bella phase) then the star options transfer. If they are platinum weeks you should be able to sell those with no problems (I know people interested)

I’m not familiar with HI properties but it sounds like it’s an oceanfront as you say andbased on the limited knowledge I have of that resort, I’d say it’s a pretty good unit.

my only advice to you would be, depending on how accessible Hawaii is for you, it will be worth it to keep. If you live on the east coast, using staroptions from the orlando timeshares may be beneficial. Of course if trading in interval is your goal then the Hawaii oceanfront May pull great inventory. Especially when they come out with a joint program, the Hawaii May be a gem in a conversion!