• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question from Prospective HRC Purchaser

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
What sites are best to watch for sales (other than TUG Marketplace)?

I used My Resort Network, Red Week, TUG. I was only willing to spend $4K all in so I made lots of offers and one worked out...I would use google each day and search Hyatt Beach House

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I used My Resort Network, Red Week, TUG. I was only willing to spend $4K all in so I made lots of offers and one worked out...I would use google each day and search Hyatt Beach House
Thanks. I'm looking for a deal as well. The $4K was for a Platinum week correct?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! Would it be un-responsible to wait on a Gold week for $1000 all-in (basically free just paying the transfer cost)?
I choose a Diamond week because I wanted a contract that had value and could easily be disposed of when I no longer want or need it. I also bought for the resort I knew I would use and the week I would use.
You have to decide what will work for you. I’m always concerned with disposal of my TS. So I only buy ones that I know I can easily sell or get rid of

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I choose a Diamond week because I wanted a contract that had value and could easily be disposed of when I no longer want or need it. I also bought for the resort I knew I would use and the week I would use.
You have to decide what will work for you. I’m always concerned with disposal of my TS. So I only buy ones that I know I can easily sell or get rid of

I am selling back a Diamond week (2200 pts) at Hyatt Windward Pointe to Marriott. They are paying $6200 less some misc fees to buy it back. I just got the closing docs to complete the sale. That might give you an idea of what Marriott thinks the market value is.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am selling back a Diamond week (2200 pts) at Hyatt Windward Pointe to Marriott. They are paying $6200 less some misc fees to buy it back. I just got the closing docs to complete the sale. That might give you an idea of what Marriott thinks the market value is.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Wow, thats great to know, I just made $2,200 if I want to sell mine back...thanks for that point of reference. If I remember correctly you just bought this last year? Did you not like the Winward Hyatt?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Wow, thats great to know, I just made $2,200 if I want to sell mine back...thanks for that point of reference. If I remember correctly you just bought this last year? Did you not like the Winward Hyatt?

I could never figure out how the Hyatt points program works. I have mastered Marriott and Vistana point programs so I have decided to consolidate into those systems. I am hoping when Marriott integrates Vistana that I will get DPs for my WKOVR-N. It is hard to keep track of some many timeshare systems.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could never figure out how the Hyatt points program works.

Actually the rules are quite simple. It is the practical application of those rules that can make your head hurt. Try owning an EOY unit ...:giggle:

The pivotal factor with Hyatt is that you own an exact week and unit. So instead of getting your points for a year, you basically have points up to a year before your owned week. And the only real way to save points is to put them in EE (which makes them no longer available for Hyatt units). It is a very different animal.

The primary advantage is if you own where you like and want to use all or part of that week. Using points is definitely more complicated than say HGVC which I have also owned.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually the rules are quite simple. It is the practical application of those rules that can make your head hurt. Try owning an EOY unit ...:giggle:

The pivotal factor with Hyatt is that you own an exact week and unit. So instead of getting your points for a year, you basically have points up to a year before your owned week. And the only real way to save points is to put them in EE (which makes them no longer available for Hyatt units). It is a very different animal.

The primary advantage is if you own where you like and want to use all or part of that week. Using points is definitely more complicated than say HGVC which I have also owned.

I am glad to hear that the Hyatt program is more confusing that the other programs and it is not just me. Marriott DP program and Vistana SO program are quite easy and intuitive. I am so glad Marriott is buying back my Hyatt week and I will not longer have to deal with it.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott DP program and Vistana SO program are quite easy and intuitive.

Other systems may be simpler, but I have a friend who owns specific weeks at Sunset Harbor and has a guaranteed units with specific views every year (as long as he reserves it 12 to 6 months out). You don't get that with a pure points system. That is why so many here on this board will tell you to buy where you want to go.

Hyatt is really the best combination of owning a specific week yet having the ability to use a points system. Their units tend to be top notch also.

I am in the minority in that I own my unit for access to Interval combined with shorter off season trips to Key West and Coconut Plantation (easy to get in offseason with Sunset Harbor being the exception). Hyatt points can go a long way.

Glad what you own works for you. That is what it is all about. And Tug helps us all learn for other owners how to maximize our ownerships.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Other systems may be simpler, but I have a friend who owns specific weeks at Sunset Harbor and has a guaranteed units with specific views every year (as long as he reserves it 12 to 6 months out). You don't get that with a pure points system. That is why so many here on this board will tell you to buy where you want to go.

Hyatt is really the best combination of owning a specific week yet having the ability to use a points system. Their units tend to be top notch also.

I am in the minority in that I own my unit for access to Interval combined with shorter off season trips to Key West and Coconut Plantation (easy to get in offseason with Sunset Harbor being the exception). Hyatt points can go a long way.

Glad what you own works for you. That is what it is all about. And Tug helps us all learn for other owners how to maximize our ownerships.

I am sure Hyatt is a great system for folks who have learned how to use it. I am glad it works for you. I found that I prefer to consolidate into a few TS systems. It is too much work to learn so many systems. I prefer not to have a fixed week since I rarely go anywhere the same time each year. Hyatt seems better for people who like the combo of fixed week/fixed unit plus points as a backup. I agree. TUG is great! It certainly helped me learn how to use TSs effectively (except for this year due to Covid :-(

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We have never used our fixed week in the 5 yrs we have owned. The points go a lot further with Hyatt, especially as we often stay in studios or 1 bedrooms and the points go far in interval. We own a Westin week but only use it for Hawaii. We much prefer Hyatt. It was the 1st one we owned so we didn't realize that it was more difficult than other systems. We asked lots of questions initially on TUG.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have bought over ebay but only from resellers that have a LOT of sales and been around a long time.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Just pointing out that @TravelTime worked out the buy back of that pre COVID and pre recession. I think that was great timing. May not be reflective of current market conditions.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I am sure Hyatt is a great system for folks who have learned how to use it. I am glad it works for you. I found that I prefer to consolidate into a few TS systems. It is too much work to learn so many systems. I prefer not to have a fixed week since I rarely go anywhere the same time each year. Hyatt seems better for people who like the combo of fixed week/fixed unit plus points as a backup. I agree. TUG is great! It certainly helped me learn how to use TSs effectively (except for this year due to Covid :-(
Exactly right. Hyatt fixed weeks/units work perfectly for us.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Billed this November, due 1/1/2021 is my understanding.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do the MFs come out?

The caveat is that if you want to use your points for next year’s use week before the MF bill is paid you will have to prepay an estimated amount.

The good news is you can do this on the HRC website now. A few years ago you had to call in and subject yourself to wait times.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought/assumed. That's the same way my HGVC ownership works as well when it comes to renting out what you own. Thanks for everyone's comments. If I primarily traded using CUP, perhaps I should consider buying somewhere with a better $MF/point ratio. However, I am inclined not to do that because if there was disruption in the HRC system Key West would be where I want to be, and I feel Key West is a good place to rent a diamond week for more than one pays in MFs.

My initial observation in the HRC system is that you can buy places that offer a better $MF/point ratio than Beach House, but I am likely to pay a premium in the purchase price to do so.

I initially wanted to buy Sunset Harbor based on location, but when looking things over didn't see its increased MF being worth the difference for me ... and with a family Beach House may be more peaceful. Anyone have pointers or see anything I should be paying more attention to in thinking things out?

A couple of FWIW's:
  • BH and WP MF's are less than SH's - for right now. But that gap has been getting smaller each year and expect that to continue.
  • If renting what you own is somewhat of a priority for you, SH rents waay easier and brings a higher price than BH or WP. (Renting for more than MF at BH and WP can be a real challenge.)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? It is challenging (outside the era of COVID) to rent a diamond BH week for enough to pay MFs? Based on what I have seen in most listings, I did not expect breaking even to be much of a challenge ... factoring in that prices in ads is not always the price at which transactions happen.

Having been researching this for a while now, I continue to also consider buying something else nice in II and trading into Key West every once in a while. Maybe I should just rent based on this post. Does this reflect everyone’s collective experience?

A couple of FWIW's:
  • BH and WP MF's are less than SH's - for right now. But that gap has been getting smaller each year and expect that to continue.
  • If renting what you own is somewhat of a priority for you, SH rents waay easier and brings a higher price than BH or WP. (Renting for more than MF at BH and WP can be a real challenge.)