• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question for Snowbirds

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re thinking about going to warmer weather for a few months over the winter. I was wondering what snowbirds do about their primary homes being left unoccupied for a few months? (Especially if you don’t have family members in town to check on it.) Also, do you have mail forwarded or just do everything on line.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have mail forwarded, I have a neighbor check house, I do pay almost everything on line or autopay. I have a car in each garage

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My in-laws were snowbird for years - we did everything for them. My friend does it now and she has her son check on the house/her mail forwarded by a neighbor.

I would suggest having some sort of alarm system/cameras. Give your neighbor a key and have them check in at least once a week. Leave heat on. You can set lights on timers or today everything is on wi-fi/phone. Have mail forwarded or a neighbor mail you your mail every week/10 days for anything that you did not pre-pay, pay-online, autopay.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
As a real snowbird (I go to the snow in Steamboat Springs Colorado in the ski season), my daughter collects the mail and sends important stuff once a week. I leave the heat set to 65, outdoor/indoor lights on a timer. My echo dot is set to play a radio station on a schedule. I unplug the garage door opener to prevent spurious opening.

No problems for over 20 years.

Cheers

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We need to be home at least one week each month for business purposes. In the winter months we like to leave for two to three weeks each month. When we leave the heat is turned down, the mail has been stopped, the newspaper is forwarded to charity, the alarms and cameras are functional, driveway is closed, dog is some where safe and auto lighting is set. Family members and neighbors watch our house.

More often the scenario is a family member is at our house watching our dog while we are gone.

One robbery in 20 years.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We just left our brand new, empty home until we can move in permanently in a few weeks. We left the heat on 62. I am nervous that it will be -11 tonight into tomorrow night up there and maybe we should have left the heat up higher.

We drained the water and shut off the main water line. We poured some antifreeze into the toilet tanks and bowls. Had an alarm system Installed and asked our son to check on the house once per week. We also hired a guy to snow blow the driveway. We have no window coverings but we did plug in 2 night lights.

Although neighbors are close together the homes right next to ours are still under construction and we are located near a cross street so we can’t depend on neighbors seeing anything suspicious.

We are thinking of taking the long drive up this week to bring up a few things and maybe put up some window film I just bought on Amazon that looks like blinds. We will have to put the water back on- which makes me nervous also- and then drain it again. But once we get back to NY we will have just 2 weeks left until the final move there.

This all said, I never liked leaving our former home in the winter for more than a week and once we move to the new house I doubt we ever will leave it in winter either.

When we go away we always put the mail on hold. We have Informed Delivery so we can see on line via email what mail we are getting everyday. Most of our bills are on autopay or we pay online anyway.We don’t have internet in the new house yet.

BTW- For AMAZON Echo there is a recording called Guard dogs that you can have her play and several dogs bark continually. Very realistic.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
When we go away we always put the mail on hold. We have Informed Delivery so we can see on line via email what mail we are getting everyday. Most of our bills are on autopay or we pay online anyway.We don’t have internet in the new house yet.

BTW- For AMAZON Echo there is a recording called Guard dogs that you can have her play and several dogs bark continually. Very realistic.

Amazon Echo "Guard Dogs" that respond to sound :D

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Amazon Echo "Guard Dogs" that respond to sound :D

LOL! I guess if the burglar starts off with saying with "Alexa- play guard dogs" Ha! Ha!

Seriously, you just leave it on with the dogs barking 24/7.

Or- how about this? With your ring video camera you see the burglar apporoaching your door and you use your Alexa app to say "Alexa- play guard dogs".

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not tech savvy enough to understand this but I gather from my Son that he checks the views from all the cameras set up inside and outside his house while he is away on his Smart Phone. I think he also gets a beep when one of them is recording movement...

George

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We leave our home which is 2hrs north of Toronto and go to Belize for 3 mos each winter (we are here for our 5th winter). For the first 2 years our DD was still living at home so everything remained turned on. We just arranged for a local guy to snow blow the driveway since she couldn't maneuver our own snow blower. After she bought her own place a neibr and fellow firefighter buddy of DH's offered to check on our house since he walked his dog past it 2-3 times a day. We called our home insce company to find out what was required in the fine print of the policy that we might have missed. They said our policy states the home must me inspected by a responsible adult "reasonably often". Our friend/neibr comes right inside our house every day, listens for any weird noises (ie; running water), makes sure there are no broken windows or signs of forced entry, checks the inside temperature of the house and even opens our fridge & freezer to make sure they are still cold. We do not shut the water off but do turn the taps to the washing machine and water supply to our ensuite toilet off. We also shut off the water heater. We leave the furnace set to 16*C/61*F and leave all the bedroom and closet doors open for air circulation. So far (touch wood) we have not had any mould issues. A different firefighter buddy now snow plows our driveway and our neighbour across the street often parks his truck in our driveway to avoid shuffling it with his DW's car in his 1 lane driveway.

Our DD collects our mail (from a locked delivery box around the block from our house) every 2 weeks. She video chats with us from our house and shows us the mail, opening anything we think needs attention. All our utility and credit card bills are set up on automatic payments and we can do any other on-line banking from here if necessary.

Enjoy your winter away, it is so great to get out of the cold & snow! :whooopie:

~Diane

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but the most important thing to do is to find out what your home insurance says in your policy. If you do not disconnect the water it can actually say in your policy that your home needs to be checked every three days. It is a good idea to keep the log of when they come in on the fridge for proof. We had a friend whose pipe burst on the top floor while they were at their vacation property. The insurance company was waffling a bit but ended up paying. Apparently they can tell by the mold aproximately how long the water has been there. I know the renovation was around $200,000 US, $250,000 Canadian and they had to be housed elsewhere at the insurance company's expense for around 6 months.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned something else yesterday too. My neighbor has water sensor alarms - similar to the Ring house alarms. He has them on the floor down his basement. I guess one can put them anywhere (under sinks). It signals his phone. It's amazing what is out there today.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Luckily i have a well and the water pump is indoor in my basement at the cottage. Its always shut off when we leave so at most a small puddle if a pipe burst. :cool:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I installed a wi-fi connected thermostat for about $100. It notifies me if the temp gets to low or too high. It also notifies me if the server can't get a response from the thermostat, like if power or the wi-fi goes down. My original Ring doorbell is inside the garage. I replaced it with a higher resolution Ring doorbell on the front door. We also unplug just about all the electronics, except of course, the wi-fi router.