• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question: Changing a Week, Maui

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm planning for 2021. I have a floating week, 2BR, OF, at Napili/Lahaina Towers in Maui. I'm going to be in Hawaii for two weeks, the second week being at Lagoon Tower where I also have a week. What that background, here's my dilemma/question:

My preference is to go to Oahu/Lagoon Tower Mar 20-27, then Maui Mar 27-Apr 3. But the Marriott is harder to be sure I'll get what I want, because it is Marriott and it is Spring Break week. (Easter is Apr 4.) In theory I'd wait until 9:00am EST on March 26 next month (the 12-month advance date) and reserve for the following year.

But if for some reason there's nothing available when I get online or call, I could live with going the other way around. So I was thinking about trying to book the Marriott Maui first for the 20th-27th, if I can, then the morning of this coming March 26, CHANGE that reservation to the following week if there is space available. That way if there's no space I at least reserved the first week in Maui. So that's the question -- can I CHANGE a reservation instead of MAKING one when the release window opens up?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not take advantage of the 13 month back to back reservation windows?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think the Marriott is the harder of the 2 I would give myself the most opportunities to get that week so I'd try for that as soon as i could and keep trying if you don't get it until you do. I don't know if you saw my previously thread about Marriott not releasing units right at 9am. 2 years in a row I got my Pres week by being persistent and just checking 20 times a day until they popped up 36 hours from the official 9am expected availability.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
If you think the Marriott is the harder of the 2 I would give myself the most opportunities to get that week so I'd try for that as soon as i could and keep trying if you don't get it until you do. I don't know if you saw my previously thread about Marriott not releasing units right at 9am. 2 years in a row I got my Pres week by being persistent and just checking 20 times a day until they popped up 36 hours from the official 9am expected availability.
Thanks. That's both helpful and disturbing. <g>

I expect Marriott to be harder because it's spring break week.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the big challenge with a float week where you really want that one week and it's a holiday week. That has been my goal for Pres week for almost 20 years having gone to the MOC many times over Pres week. In the past Marriott always released them precisely at the right time and a diligent person could get what was needed but lately they're making it much harder.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
This is the big challenge with a float week where you really want that one week and it's a holiday week. That has been my goal for Pres week for almost 20 years having gone to the MOC many times over Pres week. In the past Marriott always released them precisely at the right time and a diligent person could get what was needed but lately they're making it much harder.
I've considered buying a $2500 1BR island view in order to buy my way into the 13-month window. But, as I understand it, that really doesn't change things because they release some inventory, but not all, at 13 months, then the rest at 12 months. So the 13 month people are just getting access to the 13 month inventory, not a first shot at all the inventory.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Changing a Marriott week reservation is tricky. When you reserve your first week, you can no longer see availability online for other weeks. So when the reservation window opens for the second week, you have no way of knowing if it's available.

Another snag is you cannot change a Marriott reservation. You can cancel, pay a cancellation fee, and then try rebooking. By the time you do that, the second week may be gone, and the first week may be gone too, and you will end up paying a cancellation fee and having no reservation.

You may try calling Marriott the moment reservation window opens for the second week, and asking them to try changing it. But if it's a high demand week, any availability will likely be gone while you are on the phone.

If I were you, I would not make a backup reservation for the first week. I would just take my chances and try to reserve the second week online.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Changing a Marriott week reservation is tricky. When you reserve your first week, you can no longer see availability online for other weeks. So when the reservation window opens for the second week, you have no way of knowing if it's available.

Another snag is you cannot change a Marriott reservation. You can cancel, pay a cancellation fee, and then try rebooking. By the time you do that, the second week may be gone, and the first week may be gone too, and you will end up paying a cancellation fee and having no reservation.

You may try calling Marriott the moment reservation window opens for the second week, and asking them to try changing it. But if it's a high demand week, any availability will likely be gone while you are on the phone.

If I were you, I would not make a backup reservation for the first week. I would just take my chances and try to reserve the second week online.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Not the answer I wanted necessarily, but the information.