• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question About Trade-In Deeds For Upgrades

LB080855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question and need some insight. Is it possible to trade in an HGVC Boulevard, Paradise, or any Vegas property to acquire a new deed at the Elara? I'm curious if anyone has successfully traded in a resale deed for the Elara property deed as a new purchase or if it was an actual upgrade to more points. Are there any specific rules for upgrades or restrictions on where trade-ins can be done?

I am trying to increase my tier status since I am no longer Legacy HGVC and I am trying to breakdown a strategy to do it more effectively. Ideally, I am assuming that I can buy a few resale deeds and trade them in for a retail property to get the point allotment needed to get to the tier level desired. This is the reason for the inquiry.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
You can trade in an Elara for another Elara. Not sure about others for Elara though.

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
I’m sure that if you went to the concierge desk at Elara and told them you wanted to upgrade to Elara they would provide a pathway of rose petals to the nearest sales center.

They would either offer you a new deed on a trader or allow you to purchase a new property at Elara. Either way it will cost you a large amount of $$$$

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
There really is no need to purchase an Elara deed as you can use the points associated with any of the Vegas properties to trade into Elara with no additional costs.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara is one of those unique properties like the SC properties and Las Palmeras that have trade in restrictions

LB080855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sure that if you went to the concierge desk at Elara and told them you wanted to upgrade to Elara they would provide a pathway of rose petals to the nearest sales center.

They would either offer you a new deed on a trader or allow you to purchase a new property at Elara. Either way it will cost you a large amount of $$$$
I am looking at buying a resale deed then trade it in, however, if they do not allow trade-in from other properties, then my only goal would be to purchase a resale deed for Elara, then trade that in for a bigger point allocation on the retail side. Ideally, I am looking at trying to get more points and also gain a higher tier status, since I am no longer Legacy HGVC and did an upgrade to Max just 4 months ago, prior to discovering the resale side of things.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Why do you want to increase you Max tier status? (I know that you aren't asking that question)

Secondly, why are you picking Elara to upgrade (it has been reported that Elara has trade-in restrictions, like you can only trade-in an Elara for another Elara. I personally can't verify that like I can the SC-Strand HGVC properties)?

Last edited:

LB080855

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to increase you Max tier status? (I know that you aren't asking that question)

Secondly, why are you picking Elara to upgrade?
I bought into Max at Elara because MF fees are low by purchasing a studio. I got into Max in March because I wanted access to the other properties. However, it has been my understanding that the Elara has the lowest maintenance fees in Vegas right now, which was the other reason for the most recent purchase.

I want to increase my tier status for gain access to some of the perks that are available at the Premier+ level.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I bought into Max at Elara because MF fees are low by purchasing a studio. I got into Max in March because I wanted access to the other properties. However, it has been my understanding that the Elara has the lowest maintenance fees in Vegas right now, which was the other reason for the most recent purchase.

I want to increase my tier status for gain access to some of the perks that are available at the Premier+ level.

Take a peak at the different MF’s for yourself

As for the Max tiers, are they worth what you would pay to achieve the higher tier status at the premiere + level? What perks are you wanting?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I bought into Max at Elara because MF fees are low by purchasing a studio.
Is this what you bought or did you purchase a by Hilton Club deed?

Elara Studio/Plus Platinum 3520/5600 points.

2024 Operating Fee $593.13
2024 Reserve Fee $119.35
2024 Real Estate Tax $20.93

Total Fee $733.41

That’s a $31.17 (4.44%) increase over last year’s MF’s ($702.24).

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
A couple hopefully helpful thoughts:

• We purchase MarBrisa retail years ago - EOY
  • Upgraded retail to an annual deal, again years ago
  • Upgraded that to an annual 13,440 retail deal, about 2 years ago
  • (and found TUG about 6 months ago!)

Each time we increased our purchases - we traded in our "old deed" for a new one. The value of that trade is was what we paid for is (nevermind the sales people saying how it would appreciate in value). So, if we had paid $20 for the annual deal and then wanted the larger deed that say cost $34. Then they gave us $20 in value towards the $34 new deed, leaving us $14 to pay. The old deed was removed and the new deed took it's place.

I'm sharing this because I wonder what value the Elara team will offer you on the resale deeds, when you try and upgrade. Will they even offer you any credit?

This leaves you in a position of buying a retail deed and hope they convert your existing resale deeds into Max qualifying points. It is possible, but I've not read that happening - which will be interesting if you pull it off. You can always state they need to put it in writing that they will convert the points to tier qualifying points as part of a deal... it could work.

I've read other threads where people were magically upgraded to max including resale deeds. Who knows how that happens. It didn't happen to us with our recently closed resale deed at Paradise.

Finally, as others point out - are the premier+ benefits worth it (one might even ask "are they real"?). I know we (as in my family) have been talking about whether an approach like the above would be worth it... so far we've decided no.

Good luck, hope the above helps, and let us know

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple hopefully helpful thoughts:

• We purchase MarBrisa retail years ago - EOY
  • Upgraded retail to an annual deal, again years ago
  • Upgraded that to an annual 13,440 retail deal, about 2 years ago
  • (and found TUG about 6 months ago!)

Each time we increased our purchases - we traded in our "old deed" for a new one. The value of that trade is was what we paid for is (nevermind the sales people saying how it would appreciate in value). So, if we had paid $20 for the annual deal and then wanted the larger deed that say cost $34. Then they gave us $20 in value towards the $34 new deed, leaving us $14 to pay. The old deed was removed and the new deed took it's place.

I'm sharing this because I wonder what value the Elara team will offer you on the resale deeds, when you try and upgrade. Will they even offer you any credit?

This leaves you in a position of buying a retail deed and hope they convert your existing resale deeds into Max qualifying points. It is possible, but I've not read that happening - which will be interesting if you pull it off. You can always state they need to put it in writing that they will convert the points to tier qualifying points as part of a deal... it could work.

I've read other threads where people were magically upgraded to max including resale deeds. Who knows how that happens. It didn't happen to us with our recently closed resale deed at Paradise.

Finally, as others point out - are the premier+ benefits worth it (one might even ask "are they real"?). I know we (as in my family) have been talking about whether an approach like the above would be worth it... so far we've decided no.

Good luck, hope the above helps, and let us know
You get the amount originally paid via retail. If it was $30k to the original owner and you bought it resale for $3k, then you get $30k for trade in.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They offered me $30,000 for Kohala, but did not show me what they would sell me. It was really poorly done. We migth have gone for lower MFs and reasonable breakeven point.
Usually, it is, at least, another $20k or more.

In Hawaii, they offered us $50k for our two Blvds that we paid $3k each for but still wanted $25k to buy a Kohala Suites that was $75k retail

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I doubt we have a comprehensive list of what they will take to trade up, the true HGVC deeds might work at the same location. The affiliate locations probably won't work.

For example, I'm sure they won't take a Westgate Elara.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
I doubt we have a comprehensive list of what they will take to trade up, the true HGVC deeds might work at the same location.
It seeems hard not to move towards resale low MF deeds. I seem willing to take a 3 year breakeven on the "investment." Is that what happended to you?

We bought Marbrisa for LegoLand. I had RSV or some illness and couldn't got with the first group trip this year. I see it lasting another 2 years at best, but could give it up now. The DW did get an owner's golfcart...

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded in some deeds back in November for Premier+. Is was only Elara deeds allowed for Elara. Their unofficial rule was 25k new money for each deed traded in. If you have multiple weeks on one deed it counted as one. I was told if I followed the rules on one trade they can bend rules on other.

First trade was W57 and Central deed plus 50k for 2 week King's Land (20160) deed. Second was a 2 week Elara deed and another 1 week Elara deed plus 20k for the exact same 2 week Elara (12480) deed.

Overall I paid a little over $1/point over resell value to make them retail points for Premier+ status. Highly debatable on if it was worth it. Going the Craig route would of been cheaper in the long run for similar benefits. Full retail is $300k+ so significant savings vs. people who obtained status through full retail purchases.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It seeems hard not to move towards resale low MF deeds. I seem willing to take a 3 year breakeven on the "investment." Is that what happended to you?

We bought Marbrisa for LegoLand. I had RSV or some illness and couldn't got with the first group trip this year. I see it lasting another 2 years at best, but could give it up now. The DW did get an owner's golfcart...

I bought twice from Hilton long before finding TUG, Lagoon Premier and King's Land pre-construction, both EOY deeds opposite years. We were very happy booking home weeks since we enjoyed vacationing in Hawaii when we were working. Once finding TUG and retiring I started looking for a nice single contract low mf KL deed. I tried the trade in route with Hilton, and they wanted the $25k new money, but they could never offer me the contract I wanted. I found it listed here on TUG, so I bought it and sold my two original developer deeds myself to offset some of the cost. Now I concentrate on point stretching and borrowing, I have no interest in Max or status at my age, I'm done buying and selling.