• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Social Workers

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are most Social Workers trained in self defense? Curious there is someone claiming this to be a fact .

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Hmm, Not sure about that. I would guess this might depend on the situation they work in.

We have a close friend that was a social worker for a hospital and don't recall them ever mentioning this.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Not sure about that. I would guess this might depend on the situation they work in.

We have a close friend that was a social worker for a hospital and don't recall them ever mentioning this.
Yes the ones I worked with in same setting never heard a peep. If there was a problem it would be security called to help

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife is a MH SW (LCSW). She worked at a county clinic for 30yrs. She is now in private practice. At no point in time did she ever get trained in self defense despite the fact that at the county level they had rotating on call. You could be called out in the middle of the night to do assessments.

Reactions: Tia

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a licensed certified social worker since 1975 and never ever did I receive any self defense training. Nor was it ever offered as a continuing education class. Of course where I live now, they probably hand you a weapon at graduation.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Worked in and supervised child protection for 30 years. No true self defense training here though our staff get training on de-escalation and situational awareness-eg turning the car around so it’s facing out, being aware of who is in the residence, where the exits are, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on the organization &/ or guidelines from state or credentialing agency. The one I work with trains all mental health employees annually in this topic, not just social workers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Are most Social Workers trained in self defense? Curious there is someone claiming this to be a fact .
Just curious -- where did you hear this claim? Was this on TUG?

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Kansas require self defense training for State licensed social workers. Many States provide self awareness seminars to help their workers be aware that they need to leave.

Bill

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious -- where did you hear this claim? Was this on TUG?

Kurt
No not on TUG, it was in claim in comments on another site after an article. I asked on TUG because there are so many topics people here on TUG have knowledge about , people/names I trust more then other places.

TUG filters posters better then other sites open to the public, that's my take anyway

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister, the social worker wasn’t exactly trained in self-defense. But she and her colleagues were taught techniques that could disable a person—render them not in control of their body for a few seconds. She’s 5’2” and my brother is 6’2”. I remember she applied pressure to some pressure point on his body and he just dropped to the floor.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not trained and worked as a licensed clinical SW for 32 years.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not trained and worked as a licensed clinical SW for 32 years.
Thank you nerodog, and everyone that has replied. Seems the poster elsewhere was way off in what they posted about Social Workers, I just wasn't really sure so asked and got my answer.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I think you could clarify by suggesting that training for licensure as a social worker is general, and is not going to include self-defense. However, social workers work in a variety of environments, and it would not be surprising if some who were employed by a jail, prison, or mental health facility would be given that kind of training by an employer.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you could clarify by suggesting that training for licensure as a social worker is general, and is not going to include self-defense. However, social workers work in a variety of environments, and it would not be surprising if some who were employed by a jail, prison, or mental health facility would be given that kind of training by an employer.
For sure... it depends on your work setting and safety.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My daughter has her MSW and worked for the State. She decided to quit after being attacked and harassed more than a few times. A person turning their dogs loose on her and an associate doing a wellness check was the final straw.

Bill

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter has her MSW and worked for the State. She decided to quit after being attacked and harassed more than a few times. A person turning their dogs loose on her and an associate doing a wellness check was the final straw.

Bill
How terrible.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
that's the stuff of nightmares right there