• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about my hot water heater

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Lowes suggests a setting of 120 deg. to extend lifespan.
Our current water heater (a Rheem) dates from 2001.
I asked a plumber about lifting it to put a drip pan down.
He said that, given it's age, best not to mess with it at all.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to recommend something here. You can get an inexpensive water alarm at big hardware stores, or order one online. I have one that looks like a frog and is called a Leak Frog; it's similar to this.

You place the alarm in places where you might get a leak--for example, near your hot-water heater--and it goes off if water gets near it. Ours have gone off from just a teeny bit of seepage in our basement, so they're very sensitive. Well worth it to prevent a flood!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would like to recommend something here. You can get an inexpensive water alarm at big hardware stores, or order one online. I have one that looks like a frog and is called a Leak Frog; it's similar to this..

I too have a leak detector... It's my feet.
If my socks get wet, I sense it immediately and inform DW.

I plan to get a WiFi model, and update my smoke detectors, too.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wackmother
My SIL is Seattle had major leak under her kitchen sink. Caused thousands of dollars in damage. Now she has this gadget. My son the contractor has never heard of them. I think it’s a good idea.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still not sure it’s working correctly. I reset the dials to where they originally were. A day later I used my instant read thermometer in the kitchen faucet and water was only 99 degrees and only 100 in a bathroom. I could tell it was cool when I took a shower.
Today I bumped up both a bit and water was 105. Of course it’s 40 here in FL. I will give it a few days to watch it. Maybe bump it up a bit more. DH now agrees to call a plumber. In a few days. We’ll see.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still not sure it’s working correctly. I reset the dials to where they originally were. A day later I used my instant read thermometer in the kitchen faucet and water was only 99 degrees and only 100 in a bathroom. I could tell it was cool when I took a shower.
Today I bumped up both a bit and water was 105. Of course it’s 40 here in FL. I will give it a few days to watch it. Maybe bump it up a bit more. DH now agrees to call a plumber. In a few days. We’ll see.
Usually electric water heaters have two heating elements. They do occasionally quit working, and are not difficult to replace. A plumber (or electrician) can check their operation easily. If working correctly, the water should get to within a few degrees of the setting within an hour. Outside temp has almost nothing to do with this.

As to those water alarms. I have them on the floor near the washer, water heater, and under the kitchen sink. They are not much bigger than a deck of cards, cost about $10 at a home center, and will go 5 years on a 9v battery. They have saved us $10's of thou$and$! In water damage and kept the insurance bills low.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Being in the new house this week for a few days I can see how these on demand tankless water heaters save money. It takes so long for the hot water to come out you just end up using the cold water before it gets hot. Presto! Energy savings!

But if you wait for the hot water to come out, now your municipal water bill skyrockets! SMH....

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I think I fixed it.
I didn’t know it had two thermostats. I raised the one on the bottom and never touched the one on the top. It’s a Rheem hot water heater. After going to google I learned that the top heats the cold water as it enters the top of the heater and the bottom maintains the lower water. Since I raised the lower section the top section never turned on. So top was cold. Or something like this.
Anyway I reset the lower one back to the original setting. After a bit it seemed like it was working again. The Rheem manual said it’s ok to raise both a bit. Both are set to 125.
I guess I’ll leave it like this.
Thanks all for the as usual helpful TUG advice.
Judy
How is your husband now that it’s fixed?

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!

When all else fails, read the 'destructions' (wink)