• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about MGV legacy week

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a question about a legacy week at Grande Vista that I saw for sale. The listing said:

Season: Gold
Florida Club: Yes
Week: 50 Floats 18-21 & 35-50

I thought a traditional TS week was either a fixed week or floating. The listing above has both. Is it fixed week 50 or is it a floating 18-21 and 35-50? How can it be both?

also, would these weeks be a good trader? It’s 2BR/2BA.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
All weeks at Grande Vista float (no fixed weeks there at all).

You can use it to trade in Interval International or you can book your home resort from weeks 18-21 or 35-50. And since it is a Florida Club week you can reserve at four other specific Florida Marriott resorts only during the Gold Season at six months out.

It is listed the way it is for inventory purposes only.

Welcome to TUG.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I thought a traditional TS week was either a fixed week or floating. The listing above has both. Is it fixed week 50 or is it a floating 18-21 and 35-50? How can it be both?

In this case, the "week 50" just represented the deeded week number.

There are however some weeks that are both fixed and floating. For example, at Newport Coast both (fixed) week 26 Platinum Plus and (fixed) week 52 Platinum Plus can also float in the regular Platinum season (weeks 23-25, 27-51). The same may apply at other resorts that have similar holiday weeks (perhaps Grand Chateau week 52, for example? - not sure, as I'm less familiar with that resort).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In this case, the "week 50" just represented the deeded week number.

There are however some weeks that are both fixed and floating. For example, at Newport Coast (fixed) week 26 Platinum Plus and (fixed) week 52 Platinum Plus can also float in the regular Platinum season (weeks 23-25, 27-51). The same may apply at other resorts that have similar holiday weeks (perhaps Grand Chateau week 52, for example? - not sure, as I'm less familiar with that resort).
I am not sure those are truly considered fixed. The checkin day floats. They are really better called event weeks.

True fixed weeks are fairly rare in the Marriott system.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure those are truly considered fixed. The checkin day floats. They are really better called event weeks.

True fixed weeks are fairly rare in the Marriott system.
Yes, similarly we own a Platinum Plus week at Phuket Beach Club.
It floats through the Platinum Plus / Platinum season, but unlike a regular Platinum week we can also book the Christmas / New Year weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a question about a legacy week at Grande Vista that I saw for sale. The listing said:

Season: Gold
Florida Club: Yes
Week: 50 Floats 18-21 & 35-50

also, would these weeks be a good trader? It’s 2BR/2BA.
As a rule a fixed week is also a fixed unit. Many timeshares pin floating time, or even points, to an underlying week/unit. Even Bluegren, which is almost completely a points system with no home resort priority, ties their points to an underlying unit & week (or part of a week). There is even a mechanism to reserve that underlying week & unit with Bluegreen, but not with MVC.

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I would be curious to know if anyone has a gold 2BR at Grande Vista and how well it serves for trading.

btw this listing ended up selling for $305 on eBay. MF are approx $1442/yr

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you everyone. I would be curious to know if anyone has a gold 2BR at Grande Vista and how well it serves for trading.

btw this listing ended up selling for $305 on eBay. MF are approx $1442/yr
Many people own golv MGV weeks and they trade reasonably well. We own and lock off every year and are always trading into 2BR units when we exchange (paying the upgrade fees). Our usage might be different than many though. We travel off season and sometimes on short notice. Using the last two years as a guide for what one can exchange into isn't a good idea either because COVID changed the trading game during that time and even after. Platinum will trade better, especially when using an ongoing search, but Platinum will cost about 10X more upfront to buy.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Many people own golv MGV weeks and they trade reasonably well. We own and lock off every year and are always trading into 2BR units when we exchange (paying the upgrade fees). Our usage might be different than many though. We travel off season and sometimes on short notice. Using the last two years as a guide for what one can exchange into isn't a good idea either because COVID changed the trading game during that time and even after. Platinum will trade better, especially when using an ongoing search, but Platinum will cost about 10X more upfront to buy.
We have the same approach as @dioxide45 does with our two gold weeks. We book the highest TDI week available in our season (week 21) and I'm pretty dialed in to what it can and cannot see for manual searches. I have a couple of OGS requests out there that are going to push that limit but we'll see.

Agree that COVID really made Interval crazy the last two years - first you could get anything anywhere, and now inventory is pretty light.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I like my MGV platinum trade power. Some of the platinum weeks didn’t have enough TPU to pull what I wanted by splitting the unit up. When I fiddled with hypothetical deposits, I noticed that 4th of July and Christmas week pulls the best inventory. You should just pay the extra for a platinum week IMO. It will pay for itself in the long run.

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like my MGV platinum trade power. Some of the platinum weeks didn’t have enough TPU to pull what I wanted by splitting the unit up. When I fiddled with hypothetical deposits, I noticed that 4th of July and Christmas week pulls the best inventory. You should just pay the extra for a platinum week IMO. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Thank you for that, good info to know. Dumb question - if you have a platinum week unit and want to reserve a gold week at the same resort (MGV), how is that done? Can you exchange MGV weeks through Marriott? Or do you deposit the platinum weeks into II and then reserve MGV thru II?

nevermind - I forgot I already asked that in another thread. :)

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that, good info to know. Dumb question - if you have a platinum week unit and want to reserve a gold week at the same resort (MGV), how is that done? Can you exchange MGV weeks through Marriott? Or do you deposit the platinum weeks into II and then reserve MGV thru II?
It's through II. One would need to consider the resort and weeks in question. At some resorts Gold might be higher overall demand than the Platinum week being deposited. So one would need to consider the trade variables beyond the Platinum/Gold issue. For example, owning MGV Platinum and wanting a Gold week to use there, it should be easy to trade the studio back to a 2 BR (paying the upgrade fee) for all but a could of weeks during the year assume one plans a year or so out. For Aruba and similar higher demand areas, it would depend on the week one is targeting whether you'd need the 1 BR deposit or even the full 2 BR.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
@Dean - thank you!

If you want to stay at MVG, deposit a platinum MGV studio week into II that has high trading power and trade back into a 2 bedroom during a gold week. The studio portion on my MGV platinum week traded into a Lakeshore reserve 2 bedroom lock off for reference (in the picture below)

1652806712512.png

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
If you want to stay at MVG, deposit a platinum MGV studio week into II that has high trading power and trade back into a 2 bedroom during a gold week. The studio portion on my MGV platinum week traded into a Lakeshore reserve 2 bedroom lock off for reference (in the picture below)

View attachment 55174
And week 4 isn't even a high TDI week...my gold week 21 is higher so you can see both the trading power and what @Dean was referencing with the TDI vs. season.

My gold week 20 (my mistake I booked the wrong week) traded for Ocean Pointe the same week the quoted post did (Memorial Day 2022).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And week 4 isn't even a high TDI week...my gold week 21 is higher so you can see both the trading power and what @Dean was referencing with the TDI vs. season.

My gold week 20 (my mistake I booked the wrong week) traded for Ocean Pointe the same week the quoted post did (Memorial Day 2022).
The M to M priority is somewhat magical. To be honest, none of the weeks for traditional trading options are super strong traders when looked at big picture with II. Maybe for Orlando for a the winter holiday weeks and certain Platinum weeks in the CA desert if one includes those in the trading group. One thing to point out is that seeing more options is not automatically a measure of stronger trade power. Often a lessor rated resort will actually see more lower rated options.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

When I was messing with II a while back, there was some inventory that I could only see with a 4th of July reservation that wasn't visible otherwise. I only deposited week 4 because it was the first 2023 week that I could deposit that was strong enough to pull a 2 bedroom. Also, week 7 was the first 2023 week that was strong enough to pull a 2 bedroom in St Thomas.

Last edited: