• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Interval reservation if I sell/give away the deeded unit

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a current interval reservation tied to an ownership that I am going to "pay forward".

If I pay for an interval guest certificate in my name, would I be guaranteed to keep that reservation once the deed transfers? Or does anyone know of a better approach? I would feel even better if someone has done this successfully in the past.

TIA !

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a current interval reservation tied to an ownership that I am going to "pay forward".

If I pay for an interval guest certificate in my name, would I be guaranteed to keep that reservation once the deed transfers? Or does anyone know of a better approach? I would feel even better if someone has done this successfully in the past.

TIA !

I haven't done it in the past, however if you are a member in good standing (i.e. current with II membership), and the guest certificate is in your name, then I don't see why you would have any issues. Others may add their thoughts......

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Hyatt website page 29 of Rules and Regulations:

Effect of Transfer of Club Member's Timeshare Interest. If a Club Member ("Selling Member") sells, assigns, or transfers the Selling Member's Timeshare Interest to another party ("New Member"), the Selling Member will lose any and all rights to utilize the Club Points associated with such Timeshare Interest to reserve the use of a Week or to use any previously-reserved Weeks.

I read that as saying that you would not keep the reservation. The points would belong to the new owner.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Points are used when exchange is confirmed. It would think that the confirmed exchange will remain in your name. Call Hyatt and ask.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read that as saying that you would not keep the reservation. The points would belong to the new owner.

There are no HRC points here. This is an II reservation. Reservation should remain.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points def go to the buyer when sold - I believe that reservations go to the buyer as well unless terms of the sale state otherwise. Calling Hyatt and II to verify is the best strategy.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
II reservations require EEE points in Hyatt. What was used for the II reservation?

Actually, II reservations can be made by transferring EEE points or CUP points. Key here is 'transferring'. The points are actually transferred. II and RCI are separate entities from the timeshare groups, and both make it clear that all transfers are FINAL. As far as HRC is concerned, the points have already been used once the transfer is made. The estoppel Hyatt generates during a sale never lists any II activity, b/c the only record they have of II is when the points are transferred out or 'spent'. They have no way of knowing if the II reservation has been completed already or is in the future.

The only way an II week could be lost is if the II account itself is cancelled. That 'could' be an issue if the HRC week sold/transferred was the ONLY HRC week in the OP's HRC corporate II account as then Hyatt would no longer pay for the account. Then the OP would need to work with II to keep the account active.

AFAIK the HRC does NOT pay for the II account by the month, but rather by the year, as every year I get a renewal notice for my account even though it is automatically renewed and paid for by Hyatt. Therefore, the account should stay active until the end of the current membership year.

In fact, a guest certificate by the OP would not be needed as the II account remains their's. I have transferred over 20 HRC weeks into/out of my name and the II account/balance has never even been noted in the process. The buyer of the Hyatt week will have a 'new' II account created for them.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, II reservations can be made by transferring EEE points or CUP points. Key here is 'transferring'. The points are actually transferred. II and RCI are separate entities from the timeshare groups, and both make it clear that all transfers are FINAL. As far as HRC is concerned, the points have already been used once the transfer is made. The estoppel Hyatt generates during a sale never lists any II activity, b/c the only record they have of II is when the points are transferred out or 'spent'. They have no way of knowing if the II reservation has been completed already or is in the future.

The only way an II week could be lost is if the II account itself is cancelled. That 'could' be an issue if the HRC week sold/transferred was the ONLY HRC week in the OP's HRC corporate II account as then Hyatt would no longer pay for the account. Then the OP would need to work with II to keep the account active.

AFAIK the HRC does NOT pay for the II account by the month, but rather by the year, as every year I get a renewal notice for my account even though it is automatically renewed and paid for by Hyatt. Therefore, the account should stay active until the end of the current membership year.

In fact, a guest certificate by the OP would not be needed as the II account remains their's. I have transferred over 20 HRC weeks into/out of my name and the II account/balance has never even been noted in the process. The buyer of the Hyatt week will have a 'new' II account created for them.

The points used for the II reservation came from EEE, not CUP - so they stay with II until used or expire.

I have multiple deeded weeks (contracts) so the II account will not close. But upon transfer all points and reservations are supposed to go to the new owner from what I have read.

I called Hyatt and pressed 3 for Interval. The rep told me that Interval reservations will stay with the original person on the reservation. She also clarified that if it was an HRC reservation that instructions would need to be included on the transfer - implying it could go either way (and also could be messed up). This is consistent with what BDH said above.

So it sounds like I am good to go - but it would not hurt to include instructions with the transfer that the II reservation stays with the original owner.

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have another question now after my second ownership has just shown up in my Interval account. I have never managed having 2 contracts associated with my II account.

Can I combine points from both for II reservations? It seems that I should not be able to since I have to choose which ownership to pull from before doing a search.

The bottom line is I want to be able to spend some remaining EEE points on the ownership I will give away and NOT have them come from my new contract.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have another question now after my second ownership has just shown up in my Interval account. I have never managed having 2 contracts associated with my II account.

Can I combine points from both for II reservations? It seems that I should not be able to since I have to choose which ownership to pull from before doing a search.

The bottom line is I want to be able to spend some remaining EEE points on the ownership I will give away and NOT have them come from my new contract.

Yes you can combine points from both contracts. Basically, each contract that you have shows up as a second week in your II account so it is a single log in. Let's say you have 580 points in EEE and you have 2000 points in HRPP and an ongoing search for a 2 bedroom hits in interval. Interval would first use the points already in EEE, and then it would break up your week in HRPP and the remainder of points required (1300) would be used to complete the II reservation. The leftovers would remain in CUP. So here's how it would shake out:

580 points from EEE +
720 points from your Hyatt week

You would then have 1280 points left in CUP within Hyatt.

My understanding is that if you have multiple contracts and you move points to EEE, they stay with you in EEE. If you have a single week with points in EEE they move along with the contract.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you can combine points from both contracts. Basically, each contract that you have shows up as a second week in your II account so it is a single log in. Let's say you have 580 points in EEE and you have 2000 points in HRPP and an ongoing search for a 2 bedroom hits in interval. Interval would first use the points already in EEE, and then it would break up your week in HRPP and the remainder of points required (1300) would be used to complete the II reservation. The leftovers would remain in CUP. So here's how it would shake out:

580 points from EEE +
720 points from your Hyatt week

You would then have 1280 points left in CUP within Hyatt.

My understanding is that if you have multiple contracts and you move points to EEE, they stay with you in EEE. If you have a single week with points in EEE they move along with the contract.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you - that was most helpful. I was trying to figure out if I could spend the EEE points in the contract I am giving away but there are a few older EEE points I inherited with the new contract - it sounds like they would get used first. It also sounds like if I don't spend them they may stay also.