• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Grande Ocean - resort and refurbishment [MERGED]

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I spoke to the front desk staff last week, they stated that they were still working on the first building renovations. I forget which one they are working on. They did say that in mid November they would be working on Dolphin and Seashore.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be there a week from Friday and will report out. I talked to the front desk manager on Monday and he said the first building is almost done and they are taking Dolphin off line at the end of October. I asked if I could get a refurbished unit, but they aren't available yet.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Wife is heading over on Sunday but will be with 5 girlfriends----no info forthcoming there!!!!!! :)

I'll be joining my wife next Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th and will look and ask around.....Can't wait.

I'll get in and take pics whether they're occupied or not, like just after the last renovation........

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure if we will get a refurbished unit in December when we are at Grande Ocean. If I do, I will put a video up on my YouTube channel.

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in finding out if the renovations are causing any noise disturbance in nearby buildings.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We are there a lot, and frankly we have not seen these issues as described, not once.
If so, I would have reported such.
So I haven't seen it any worse than during the last 22 years of our ownership leading up to a renovation or refurbishment,
and I believe I hear others echoing the same sentiment...they haven't found it as bad as described either.

We are always there 2 weeks in January, 2 weeks in February, 1 week in April, and 6 weeks in June...
That makes 11 weeks per year, and also
a couple of long weekends on random spontaneous trips scattered throughout the year.

My only speculation is that there had to be isolated units that were worse, for unknown reasons. And the pandemic definitely didn't help.
Bringing in construction people or maintenance people from outside Marriott could have been an issue (I'm not privy to those decisions)
except in dire circumstances rather than in small improvements, when a major renovation was upcoming.
I don't know if the increase in allowing pets had anything to do with it, but I do know a ton of money is spent on cleaning units each time a guest leaves after having a pet there, and I promise you, those were NOT all service animals. and it happens a lot.
We frequently arrive and see the service trucks with long hoses cleaning units, and that has to add wear & tear.
Not meaning to start another conversation or controversy, but I'm just mentioning it as an ongoing concern of mine.
More owners than you know are fed up with it. Floors, upholstered furniture, and most surfaces must be treated.
I realize the other things mentioned have nothing to do with that, but the furniture and carpets do.
We have stayed there 4 or 5 times in the past 6 or so years and we have never had a bad villa. The last time (in January 2019) we remarked that the villa looked almost new and was great. This was in Dolphin and we have stayed in that building every time except once. Like Marty, we have never experienced the issues described in the original post.

Reactions: jme

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Grand Ocean since the renovations began? Are there any issues with noise in the adjoining buildings or outdoor common areas? We will be visiting in a couple of weeks. Thank You!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We were at Barony in 2015, and the sofa had cushions that were very thin and uncomfortable for sitting. We just used the bed as our living room. I couldn't take the sofa, and it hurt Rick's back. They were starting an update but hadn't gotten that far. I still felt blessed to stay there.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There isn't any real disruption. They started work at Dolphin and also closed the North pool to replaster it. The workers set up everything in the parking garages so nothing outside that is a problem. I heard no noise at all.

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I was a bit concerned about this after calling the front desk. I was told that there would be noise from the construction which would be noticeable if you were staying in any of the nearby buildings.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Worst case scenario——Yes if you sit around in the villa and hear noise...Assuming that happens, here’s the solution— Plan on biking (best biking anywhere I’ve ever been, on world-class trails in Sea Pines), walking the beach, games on beach, on-site playing bocci ball, corn hole, table tennis, checkers on giant court, enjoying outdoor heated pools or indoor pool, reading anywhere on gorgeous resort property (plenty of private reading areas), enjoying huge oceanfront decks, enjoying beautiful swings around property, miniature golf, visiting Harbour Town or South Beach— both amazing areas. Outlet malls, sightseeing, visiting nearby historic Bluffton...... there’s PLENTY to do other than sitting on balcony listening for distractions. But if it ISN’T a distraction, as someone suggests, you’ll be totally fine. Frankly I wouldn’t worry about it. You’ll be at one of the most enjoyable and beautiful oceanfront resorts in the country. Be creative, relax, take a deep breath, it’ll be just fine.

Last edited:

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions! I am not concerned. I was just curious about the level of noise and disruption. We are so looking forward to our visit and I know we will have a great time! I think I am just more worried about every little thing right now. I am a mental health professional and it has not been the easiest of times. I definitely need this vacation! Again, thank you all for your help and support!