• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about free night certificate

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
we have a certificate (visa black card free night) expiring in April...unfortunately the one night that we can use it my husband won't be there and it's his certificate (I already used mine)...I want to use it at the Courtyard Washington Convention Center (cat 4)...we'll be moving to the JW the next day

I'm pretty sure I used his last certificate (last year) w/o him being present but I was looking through other posts and it was mentioned that the certificate is non-transferable :eek: ...yikes!!! So, now I'm afraid to use it w/o him...what would happen if I booked the room using his certificate? I also read to book in his name but to mention that I'll be checking in...

BTW - I booked one night (have up to 6PM that day to cancel w/o penalty) but it'll cost $215 w parking!! At least the kids and I will get free breakfast but I'm not sure it's worth it...I would prefer to get the free night w/o the breakfast...I'm staying there for time/convenience (I know I can get something cheaper but time/convenience for that one night is more important!) I guess I can use some points instead...

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh it's no problem going as the wife. I've done that many times. I say the truth - just me - they won't ask - they may even think he's in the car.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be on the safe side you should probably make a notation that you are staying there. I recently stayed at a NYC Hilton hotel on my husbands points. He was in the car. They informed me that they would not give me keys or access to the room without his permission. They did say that if a notation was made when we booked the room that I was also a guest, that no further confirmation would be necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Susan

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about better safe than sorry. I have had one glitch doing this before. I booked a room with points and then made the mistake of telling the reservation agent about it. She gave me this long spiel, but it worked out.

Most times I make the reservation in MY name and then simply add a note to the reservation saying, "My wife will be checking in before me." It always has worked for me this way .

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I really appreciate all the replies - and all on a positive note!! :D

I'll cancel my reservation after I book the one night using the certificate!

Thanks again everyone!