• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about floating weeks at deeded resorts.

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for anyone that may know. I've seen deeded float weeks for sale (ex. Galleon Resort) and was wondering how they differed from the normal deeded weeks for specific units (other than it floating of course)?

I currently own a right to use week (in MX), so I'm aware of how floating weeks work, but wasn't sure about how they are at a location where the majority are specific units for designated weeks.

Are the float weeks for a specific unit or just whatever is available in the float period? How is that deeded?

Just wondering how this works. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Floating weeks may float 1-52, or them may float during a certain season (specific weeks.).

Owners usually have to call during a certain timeframe to reserve thier week.

The week stated on the deed is for recording purposes only.

Usually floating weeks are not for a specific unit, but they may be for a specific view. For instance, at a beach resort, it may be for ocean front, ocean view, or garden view.

Every resort has different rules, so it really depends on the resort.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well worth repeating...

Floating weeks may float 1-52, or they may float during a certain season (specific weeks)......Every resort has different rules, so it really depends on the resort.

An excellent and critically important point, particularly since any restrictions / blackout periods, etc. associated with a "floating" or "flex" week ownership will not be identified (or even mentioned in any way) within the contents of the associated deed. This type of information regarding "floating" week rerservations (or associated restrictions) should be obtained and confirmed (before purchase) directly with the resort.

You don't want to inadvertently buy a "floating" week whose only usage period(s), even if at a desirable location, prove to be of absolutely no use or interest to you. Take it from someone who made this very mistake (...once) some years ago and has clearly retained the learned lesson ever since...:eek:

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Actually, some of the ads that I've seen do specify the float weeks (single range or multiple ranges).

Excellent point on finding out any restrictions within the specified float range(s). As well as if the float applies to a particular view or building (if more than one on property).

And that's why we're all here, to share the knowledge. :)

Thank you.

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's also CRITCAL to find out how any deposits to an exchange company will work. You may intend to always use your week yourself, but life happens and you may suddenly find that you need to deposit a week for exchange - or you may find that you just want to change it up a bit and go somewhere new once in a while or all the time later on.

Some resorts will not allow you to deposit a specific week, even if it's in your ownership range. They pick the week. It rarely is the best week for exchanging.

Buying a float week involves alot more upfront work (ie: asking ALOT of questions of the seller and the resort) to make sure you get the best you can. And you need to really know what quesitons to ask too. This was hard for me at first as I simply didn't know what I didn't know!

I suggest you make a list of questions you think you need to ask and then post them here and ask for people to add more if needed. This way you do alot of the initial work (that's only fair :) ) and more experienced people can further guide you.

Last edited:

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent advice. I'm in no real hurry to do anything though, at least I've learned to start the research BEFORE hand and that's half the battle.