• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about expiring points

KPCali

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond/HGV
I read through many of the posts here to find an answer to may question, without any luck. My 87 year old mother has a Diamond resorts timeshare (MGV Platinum, 24K points a year), which I usually book for her when she wants to go somewhere. Her points will expire at the end of September 2023 and I'm not sure they can be used this year. Will Diamond/HGV let you pay a fee and move them into next year. Or, do you have to use this Destination Exchange service? It offers online to move the points into that system, at a 12,000 points for Tier 6 level, whatever that means.

Sorry, I've always been able to just go online and book her a trip down to Cabo Azul, but it seems to be completely booked into December for anything other than a basic room. Also, does the system no longer allow you to search for 4 or 5 days...it seems you have to only search for an entire week?

Thanks for any help. She bugged me for years about this timeshare, so I finally starting helping her a few years back. Cabo Azul is a nice property, so it was worth it helping as we've taken a couple of trips down there with her. If with this Hilton acquisition makes it impossible to book, I might just tell her to stop paying the maintenance fees ($2,000 a year, I think).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You can move 100% of this Year's Points to 2024 for no Fee so long as you do it by "**" date in June. After that the % of Points that can be saved is reduced. You can do this on the Web Page or by telephone m call. They have been having some issues with saving on the WEB Site. Then if you end up making a Reservation in 2023 they will claw back just enough Points to make the Reservation.

KPCali

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond/HGV
You can move 100% of this Year's Points to 2024 for no Fee so long as you do it by "**" date in June. After that the % of Points that can be saved is reduced. You can do this on the Web Page or by telephone m call. They have been having some issues with saving on the WEB Site. Then if you end up making a Reservation in 2023 they will claw back just enough Points to make the Reservation.
Thank you for the information. I was just on the phone with them and learned more about the destination exchange program. I'm assuming this is the vehicle by which you are talking about moving the points into future years? Sounds fine, and better than just losing the points.

Another question...it appears that you can no longer book stays at any of the properties for less than a week. Is this true? I've gone down to Cabo before and booked for 4/5 nights. This appears to be no longer possible from what they just told me on the phone. They said (at least at that property, Cabo Azul) that reservations can only be made for an entire week. I don't want to go to Cabo for an entire week.

Sorry for what may be remedial questions, but I'm basically clueless with this stuff.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
No I was not talking about DEX. You can roll over 2023 Points to 2024 in your regular Account. If you put them in DEX you can only use them for DEX Bookings which can be a pain in the a**. Though you have 5 years to make a DEX Booking.

I have no idea about length of stays as we always go for a week or longer. But several years ago I made a 4 day Booking for KBC. We are currently in Cabo for 3 weeks.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The multiple-of-seven nights stays seem to be resort-specific and only for affiliates (non-DRI managed) , which are a lot of the properties listed for booking. Until this year, some affiliates allowed non-seven nights stays (e.g. Napa Riverpointe), but no more.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP said, her mother is MGV Platinum and her points expire in September 2023.
I never heard that the expiration of points at any DRI Collection is not December 31.
So, I think she never converted to a DRI Collection (US, HI or Cabo Azul) and she stayed in the old Monarch Grand Vacation Club.
If it's the case then the MGV Club rules is the one that dictates if she can bank her points or not and only people that know the MGV Club rules can answer the OP question and it's not my case.

KPCali

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond/HGV
The OP said, her mother is MGV Platinum and her points expire in September 2023.
I never heard that the expiration of points at any DRI Collection is not December 31.
So, I think she never converted to a DRI Collection (US, HI or Cabo Azul) and she stayed in the old Monarch Grand Vacation Club.
If it's the case then the MGV Club rules is the one that dictates if she can bank her points or not and only people that know the MGV Club rules can answer the OP question and it's not my case.
You are correct. She was a Monarch member and has never converted to DRI. I've learned a lot in the last week from this forum...much more than I have on the phone with HGV. Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated. Having said that, I'm guessing that is why they are only offering her points to go into the DeX system and not rolled over to 2024. In my learning this week though, I'm finding that there might be other options to use the points this year that I didn't even know existed.