• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Cancellation of Destination Points

Bunk

TUG Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
972
Points
323
Location
Lake Norman
I am a weeks owner who jointed the Destination Program. I'm a basic owner and have no priorities. I booked a week using Destination Points 11 months before my trip. I just called up Marriott Vacation Club and asked them to cancel the last night and to use those points and some remaining points I have to book 2 nights at the Custom House in Boston in December.

They told me that I have the right to cancel that one night, and those points will be restored to me, but because I reserved a week 11 months out and not 10 months out, I can only reserve those points within 60 days of my stay.

Does that make sense to you?

I then asked them if I cancelled one night of my 7 day week a few days before my reservation started, would I then be able to book another night in Boston if it were available within 60 days, and they said yes. So it seems that I can wait until the end, and if Boston is available cancel and book Boston within 60 days at no penalty or cost to me. If Boston is not available, I can stay with the full week reservation.

Does that make sense to you?

Thank you for your help.
 

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
48,486
Reaction score
19,940
Points
1,399
Location
NE Florida
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This makes sense. This is from page 9 of the DC Exchange Procedures.

If a reservation is modified prior to the first day of a confirmed Use Period to result in a shorter duration than would have been permitted at the time the reservation was made, any Exchange Points restored to the Program Member shall be placed into the Program Member’s Holding Account, subject to the restrictions on Holding Accounts as set forth in these Exchange Procedures.
 

GreenTea

TUG Member
Joined
May 31, 2014
Messages
724
Reaction score
10
Points
128
Prior to 10 months you pay additional points to reserve less than a full week. So the rule you're describing is to eliminate booking the week, then canceling the unwanted days.
 

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
48,486
Reaction score
19,940
Points
1,399
Location
NE Florida
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Prior to 10 months you pay additional points to reserve less than a full week. So the rule you're describing is to eliminate booking the week, then canceling the unwanted days.

You are on the right track, but I don't think any such rule exists for what you are specifically referring to. The rule you are thinking of is the 20% premium to book 7+ nights at 13 months. There is no way for anyone to book 1+ days at more than 10 months out unless they are Executive level or above.
 

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
6,336
Reaction score
3,525
Points
498
Location
Connecticut
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
To the OP... assuming you are < 10 months and > 60 days from check in, if a 6 night ressie is currently available, the VOA can hold the 6 night ressie and then cancel your 7 night ressie in full, then book the 6 nighter thus freeing up your 7th night points without having them go in the penalty box.

I have worked it this way a couple times in the past.
 

GreenTea

TUG Member
Joined
May 31, 2014
Messages
724
Reaction score
10
Points
128
Dioxide is of course right. Wrong example on my part.

You can't book early to circumvent the booking rule and then cancel without penalty.
 

Bunk

TUG Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
972
Points
323
Location
Lake Norman
Thank you. Is there any penalty for me to cancel a few days before my reservation begins as opposed to cancelling 5 months before the reservation begins. It seems that in both cases I can only rebook within 60 days.
 

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
6,336
Reaction score
3,525
Points
498
Location
Connecticut
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
To the OP... assuming you are < 10 months and > 60 days from check in, if a 6 night ressie is currently available, the VOA can hold the 6 night ressie and then cancel your 7 night ressie in full, then book the 6 nighter thus freeing up your 7th night points without having them go in the penalty box.

I have worked it this way a couple times in the past.

Thank you. Is there any penalty for me to cancel a few days before my reservation begins as opposed to cancelling 5 months before the reservation begins. It seems that in both cases I can only rebook within 60 days.

Under the scenario I outlined, you don't have to wait to within 60 days to book CH because your points would not be in a holding account. But again, for this to work, there has to be a 6 day ressie available at the time you pull the switcheroo.

But if you are just modifying the 7 night ressie to a 6 night by dropping the 7th night, then no, there is no difference if you do that at 5 months or a couple days prior to check in
 
Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
972
Points
323
Location
Lake Norman
I asked the rep is I can cancel the entire week and reserve 6 days. The Marriott rep told me that if I cancel the 7 days, there is no guarantee that I can get the 6 days that I want. I'll call again tomorrow and see if I get the same answer from someone else.
 

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
48,486
Reaction score
19,940
Points
1,399
Location
NE Florida
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I asked the rep is I can cancel the entire week and reserve 6 days. The Marriott rep told me that if I cancel the 7 days, there is no guarantee that I can get the 6 days that I want. I'll call again tomorrow and see if I get the same answer from someone else.

That is true if there is no other availability. You could cancel your current reservation and someone else could snatch it up or perhaps a wait-list could hit on it.
 

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
6,336
Reaction score
3,525
Points
498
Location
Connecticut
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I asked the rep is I can cancel the entire week and reserve 6 days. The Marriott rep told me that if I cancel the 7 days, there is no guarantee that I can get the 6 days that I want. I'll call again tomorrow and see if I get the same answer from someone else.

That is true if there is no other availability. You could cancel your current reservation and someone else could snatch it up or perhaps a wait-list could hit on it.

Correct. Its only worth the risk (in my opinion) if a 6 night ressie is currently available. I wouldn't risk it the other way.
 
Top