• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quaranting in Hawaii Timeshares

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WESTIN KVOR WESTIN LAGUNAMAR HGVC FLAMINGO
My husband and I are considering quaranting in Hawaii since we plan on going for a couple of months this coming December and January.
Hawaii county ( Big Island) does not allow quaranting in timeshares.
Does anyone know if this is true on Maui as well?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My condo is in Maui county and it can’t be rented to anyone needing to quarantine.

There may be some changes by then so you will have to watch

I corrected the wrong information. I’m confusing myself with all the changes here in Hawaii.

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
luv_maui completed the quarantine at the Marriott Maui and stayed a few weeks after. I think that Molokai has different quarantine rules than Maui when it comes to timeshares.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is the same on Maui. My condo is in Maui county and it can’t be rented to anyone needing to quarantine either.

There may be some changes by then so you will have to watch But so far you would have to quarantine in a hotel.
We spent 6-7 weeks (June/July) in a timeshare (Marriott Maui), with the first 2 under quarantine. Maybe I’m missing something, or misunderstand this, but one can spend their quarantine in Maui at a timeshare.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We spent 6-7 weeks (June/July) in a timeshare (Marriott Maui), with the first 2 under quarantine. Maybe I’m missing something, or misunderstand this, but one can spend their quarantine in Maui at a timeshare.

I’m sorry, I will correct that. I thought that it was changed in Maui county. I don’t know if all timeshares are open on Maui so I would check where you planned on staying.

Sorry for the confusion.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
luv_maui completed the quarantine at the Marriott Maui and stayed a few weeks after. I think that Molokai has different quarantine rules than Maui when it comes to timeshares.

I was referring to my condo on Molokai. Molokai is in Maui county so the rules would apply. I thought that the Mayor changed that but I passed on bad information here. Sorry, my fault.

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank You. Looks like we may have to change our flights and reservations from The Big Island to Maui. I was surprised that you can quarantine in a hotel room in Waikoloa but not a timeshare.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Thank You. Looks like we may have to change our flights and reservations from The Big Island to Maui. I was surprised that you can quarantine in a hotel room in Waikoloa but not a timeshare.
We were on the Mauna Lani grounds today. The Mauna Lani Auberge had ceased operations in March and will be closed through at least September 1. The Fairmont Orchid which had some guests (could have been exempted workers) was completely empty today.

We have not been by the Marriott or Hilton in Waikoloa but I believe they are also closed. The only hotel that I know is open is the Sheraton in Keauhou. By December/January I expect we will see either more hotels/timeshares open if the rest of the country gets the virus under some sort of control or if there is rapid testing available. Fingers crossed.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have friends who live on Oahu and they tell me the quarantine rules are very strict. Citizens are turning in folks who violate the 14 day rule, and the violators are given the option of jail or fly back to the mainland.

Not sure if these are just rumors or these things are really happening but I certainly wouldn't want to violate any quarantine regulations. Clearly it is not good for the Hawaiin economy, but it's bad for any economy.

The community spread was at 1 or 2 a day back in March, and now it is up to something like 125 per day

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have friends who live on Oahu and they tell me the quarantine rules are very strict. Citizens are turning in folks who violate the 14 day rule, and the violators are given the option of jail or fly back to the mainland.

Not sure if these are just rumors or these things are really happening but I certainly wouldn't want to violate any quarantine regulations. Clearly it is not good for the Hawaiin economy, but it's bad for any economy.

The community spread was at 1 or 2 a day back in March, and now it is up to something like 125 per day.

It is definitely true that people are reporting violators. People being reported and then arrested and being sent back to the mainland has been reported in the news.

scottann92

TUG Member
Reaction score

The community spread was at 1 or 2 a day back in March, and now it is up to something like 125 per day

They weren't testing in March like they are now. You have no idea what it was in March because the testing capacity was only for people having symptoms. Now you can get tested everyday of the week if you are positive and get counted as a new positive case each day you are tested. Though it can spread if you don't follow the guidelines put in place. Hospital admissions and deaths are are down since Spring.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They weren't testing in March like they are now. You have no idea what it was in March because the testing capacity was only for people having symptoms. Now you can get tested everyday of the week if you are positive and get counted as a new positive case each day you are tested. Though it can spread if you don't follow the guidelines put in place. Hospital admissions and deaths are are down since Spring.
Not true. Each test is counted, but YOU are only counted as one case.

https://www.nbc15.com/2020/07/15/your-positive-covid-19-test-wont-count-more-than-once/

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Unfortunately, Hawaii currently has the highest COVID reproduction rate in the country. It can be tracked here. https://rt.live/us/HI If you scroll down a bit it shows the number of tests and the number of cases. It is clear that the number of new cases is not from testing.

scottann92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, just because its on the internet , does not mean it's true. I wish all States would have consistent testing, but they don't. It sounds like Wisconsin and Hawaii do. Having talked to fellow nurses in other States that are in the middle of this virus they report a lot of testing being counted more than once.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Unfortunately, Hawaii currently has the highest COVID reproduction rate in the country. It can be tracked here. https://rt.live/us/HI If you scroll down a bit it shows the number of tests and the number of cases. It is clear that the number of new cases is not from testing.
August 2.jpg

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m sorry, I will correct that. I thought that it was changed in Maui county. I don’t know if all timeshares are open on Maui so I would check where you planned on staying.

Sorry for the confusion.
No Worries.
I will make sure to check before we go. I did some research and this is current approved list of accommodations for quarantine from the Maui County website.

“People who are required to self-quarantine for 14 days must designate a hotel or motel as their designated quarantine location. No person who is subject to the mandatory self-quarantine is allowed to stay in a short-term or vacation rental. of Hotels/Motels in Maui County as prepared by State of Hawaii, with status updated by County of Maui Planning Dept.”

List of Hotels/Motels in Maui County as prepared by State of Hawaii, with status updated by County of Maui Planning Dept.

Four Seasons Lanai at Koele
Four Seasons Sensei

Hotel Lanai

Aina Nalu Lahaina by Outrigger Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort & Spa Aston at the Maui Banyan

Aston at the Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

Aston Kaanapali Shores

Aston Mahana at Kaanapali Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas Aston Paki Maui

Best Western Pioneer Inn Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport Destination Residences Wailea

Fairmont Kea Lani

Four Seasons Maui at Wailea

Grand Wailea Maui, A Waldorf‐Astoria Resort

Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Hotel Wailea

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Kaanapali Alii Resort

Kaanapali Beach Club by Diamond Resorts

Kaanapali Beach

Maui Ocean Club Maui Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Napili & Maui Lahaina Villas

Maui Beach Hotel

Maui Coast Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel

Montage Kapalua Bay

Napili Kai Beach Resort

Napili Sunset

Outrigger Napili Shores Plantation Inn

Residence Inn Maui Wailea Royal Kahana Maui by Outrigger

Royal Lahaina Resort Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Sugar Beach Resort (Maui Condo) The Mauian

The Ritz‐Carlton Kapalua

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas Travaasa Hana

Wailea Beach Marriott

Wailea Beach Villas, A Destination Luxury Hotel

Wailea Ekahi Village III, A Destination Residence

Wailea Elua Village ‐ A Destination Residence

Wailea Grand Champions Villas, A Destination Residence

Hotel Molokai Ke Nani Kai Club Molokai Shores

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No Worries.
I will make sure to check before we go. I did some research and this is current approved list of accommodations for quarantine from the Maui County website.

“People who are required to self-quarantine for 14 days must designate a hotel or motel as their designated quarantine location. No person who is subject to the mandatory self-quarantine is allowed to stay in a short-term or vacation rental. of Hotels/Motels in Maui County as prepared by State of Hawaii, with status updated by County of Maui Planning Dept.”

List of Hotels/Motels in Maui County as prepared by State of Hawaii, with status updated by County of Maui Planning Dept.

Four Seasons Sensei

Hotel Lanai

Aina Nalu Lahaina by Outrigger Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort & Spa Aston at the Maui Banyan

Aston Kaanapali Shores

Best Western Pioneer Inn Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport Destination Residences Wailea

Fairmont Kea Lani

Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Hotel Wailea

Kaanapali Beach

Maui Beach Hotel

Maui Coast Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel

Montage Kapalua Bay

Napili Kai Beach Resort

Napili Sunset

The Ritz‐Carlton Kapalua

Wailea Beach Marriott

Great information, that makes sense. My Maui timeshare is not on the list and either is My condo on Molokai. Both of which I knew from communications from those resorts.

I hope you find something that works for you. With a stay of that long I think it will be worth it. Even with some things closed, Hawaii is worth the trip.

I live on Oahu and really need to get to Maui for work but my company has not allowed flight travel yet. Looks like it will be a while too.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Great information, that makes sense. My Maui timeshare is not on the list and either is My condo on Molokai. Both of which I knew from communications from those resorts.

I hope you find something that works for you. With a stay of that long I think it will be worth it. Even with some things closed, Hawaii is worth the trip.

I live on Oahu and really need to get to Maui for work but my company has not allowed flight travel yet. Looks like it will be a while too.

My husband I were hoping to go to Maui to to use up some of our Hyatt points at (Hyatt Kaanapali )towards the end of August/early Sept,
after my mother in Honolulu is stable. We'll be past our 14 day quarantine, however the Lt Gov and others are now considering
re-implementing the 14 day quarantine on inter-island flights.

I think if your company allows flight travel, your work should be considered essential (no quarantine) right??

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My husband I were hoping to go to Maui to to use up some of our Hyatt points at (Hyatt Kaanapali )towards the end of August/early Sept,
after my mother in Honolulu is stable. We'll be past our 14 day quarantine, however the Lt Gov and others are now considering
re-implementing the 14 day quarantine on inter-island flights.

I think if your company allows flight travel, your work should be considered essential (no quarantine) right??

I don’t know what the work has to be, to be considered essential as far as the state of Hawaii defines it. I know we have had a couple trips for people in maintenance to fix refrigeration issues. That is considered essential but my job isn’t like that.

For right now corporate only allows us to travel in our personal cars. It doesn’t allow hotel stays or air travel. I was hoping I would get an exception here for Hawaii but nothing yet. People in my position on the mainland are driving their own cars between warehouses.

The increase in cases on Hawaii hasn’t helped. I just met with my President on Friday and he currently isn’t traveling either. We just have to wait and see.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am confused as to what type of place one can quarantine. We are scheduled for several weeks at The Point at Poipu in September. We are not renting we are DRI Members. Then followup at Kapa'a Shores. We are also Members at Worldmark. If the Resort Bubble is allowed we plan on being on Kaua'i.

Can we quarantine at the Point at Poipu?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am confused as to what type of place one can quarantine. We are scheduled for several weeks at The Point at Poipu in September. We are not renting we are DRI Members. Then followup at Kapa'a Shores. We are also Members at Worldmark. If the Resort Bubble is allowed we plan on being on Kaua'i.

Contact the resort to be sure. I wouldn’t plan on that resort bubble but you will have to monitor all the changes in Hawaii that will affect this. They are changing all the time.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Contact the resort to be sure. I wouldn’t plan on that resort bubble but you will have to monitor all the changes in Hawaii that will affect this. They are changing all the time.
Definitely contact the resort for info.

First, to be sure that the Point at Poipu will even be open at that time. I believe that right now they are closed entirely.

Second, even if they are open, to be sure that it permissible to quarantine. I believe there are some resorts that are not approved for quarantine.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Do you think that yet again Hawaii is penalizing TS over Hotels. Wouldn't surprise me, given the state of things there.

In a hotel room you are going to have to have meals delivered every day, at least in a TS you have kitchen and you have food delivery and can maintain minimum interaction.

However state and hotels do not benefit from you staying in a timeshare as much. Local business and hotel operators would if they forced you to quarantine in an overpriced hotel. Either they are trying to grab more money or are hoping that proves to be enough of a disincentive to come to Hawaii. Not sure which it is.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No Worries.

Four Seasons Sensei

Hotel Lanai

Aston Kaanapali Shores

Fairmont Kea Lani

Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Hotel Wailea

Kaanapali Beach

Maui Beach Hotel

Maui Coast Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel

Montage Kapalua Bay

Napili Kai Beach Resort

Napili Sunset

The Ritz‐Carlton Kapalua

Wailea Beach Marriott

Seems Maui's hatred of timeshares continues. What difference does it make if it is a hotel or a timeshare? The big timeshare operators basicaly operate as hotels.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you think that yet again Hawaii is penalizing TS over Hotels. Wouldn't surprise me, given the state of things there.

In a hotel room you are going to have to have meals delivered every day, at least in a TS you have kitchen and you have food delivery and can maintain minimum interaction.

However state and hotels do not benefit from you staying in a timeshare as much. Local business and hotel operators would if they forced you to quarantine in an overpriced hotel. Either they are trying to grab more money or are hoping that proves to be enough of a disincentive to come to Hawaii. Not sure which it is.
As I understand the key issues are:

1. Having a central lobby, where people leaving the property have to pass through the lobby. So people can't sneak in and out without being observed.

2. Having electronic keys that can be programmed for single use, which requires people to who leave to go to the front desk to be able to get back into their unit.

Item 1 would knock out almost all timeshares.