• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quaranting in Hawaii Timeshares

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As I understand the key issues are:

1. Having a central lobby, where people leaving the property have to pass through the lobby. So people can't sneak in and out without being observed.

2. Having electronic keys that can be programmed for single use, which requires people to who leave to go to the front desk to be able to get back into their unit.

Item 1 would knock out almost all timeshares.
Wouldn't #1 knockout most hotels also. Many have access to the beach which then have access to some other location or beach access? I think single use keys would be the biggest factor here and any timeshare with electronic keys could institute this.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think that yet again Hawaii is penalizing TS over Hotels. Wouldn't surprise me, given the state of things there.

In a hotel room you are going to have to have meals delivered every day, at least in a TS you have kitchen and you have food delivery and can maintain minimum interaction.

However state and hotels do not benefit from you staying in a timeshare as much. Local business and hotel operators would if they forced you to quarantine in an overpriced hotel. Either they are trying to grab more money or are hoping that proves to be enough of a disincentive to come to Hawaii. Not sure which it is.
Not to mention they know people pay their maintenance fees for a timeshare whether they go or not so there is not additional revenue for the state to open them up.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Not to mention they know people pay their maintenance fees for a timeshare whether they go or not so there is not additional revenue for the state to open them up.
The state does not receive revenue from timeshare maintenance fees. The property tax is the revenue received by the state. If you pay your Hawaii timeshare property tax separately, you will know the amount, otherwise it is a separate fee that the timeshare collects which may be included in the maintenance but should be delineated as property tax.

What Do Timeshare Maintenance Fees Cover?
Timeshare maintenance fees cover regular upkeep and repairs to the property like:

• Landscaping—mowing grass, trimming hedges, raking leaves, and even sprinkler systems
  • Amenities upkeep—pool cleaning and chemicals, gym equipment servicing, golf course maintenance
  • Business costs—insurance on the property, record keeping, scheduling, and administration

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Many timeshares are simply not open. Hardly anyone is coming to quarantine for 14 days. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to pay to keep it open. So some of these decisions aren’t made by the government but the resort itself.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Seems Maui's hatred of timeshares continues. What difference does it make if it is a hotel or a timeshare? The big timeshare operators basicaly operate as hotels.
I can imagine a philosophical dislike of timeshares. If you imagine each timeshare unit as representing a single person that's moved to Hawaii as an owner/resident (their form/body may change, but the 52 weeks of 1/52 of ownership = one owner/resident) what you then have are people "moving" or residing as residents in Hawaii, but not participating or contributing as a resident. They don't collectively give back to the community as might a resident. They aren't tourists in the ordinary sense because they go to Costco and Safeway and buy stuff to cook at "home." They come regularly so they aren't pouring excessive tourist dollars into tourist traps.

I don't necessarily agree, but I can see how a "true" resident may not appreciate the "pseudo-resident" that a collective timeshare represents.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
As I understand the key issues are:

1. Having a central lobby, where people leaving the property have to pass through the lobby. So people can't sneak in and out without being observed.

And a hotel will not have a central lobby. No, it will.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Called Point at Poipu. The call rolled over to DRI Call Center in Vancouver. It is closed. No one there except Security. If Governor stays with September 1 date they will open. If Governor continues to roll date DRI said they will work with me. I mentioned Barcelona but in September 2021. They did not make any promises but said let's wait and see what is available.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Found out my timeshare on Maui is open. They can book for inter island visits or those willing to quarantine for 14 days. They have very few people there currently. One couple quarantined there, had a few more weeks there, then ended up renting a house rather than return to California.