• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing via Resale

just4stef

Reaction score
Hi, we are owners at Westin Nanea. We currently have 81,000 Star Options. We would like to purchase a resale to increase the number of Star Options we have. If we purchase at Nanea, is it true that we would not get Star Options and we would only be able to book at Nanea? If so, then that isn't the option we would go.

If we purchased at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North, would we get Star Options and would we be able to use them to book at other resorts within Vistana (i.e Sheraton Kaui, Westin Desert Willows, Westin St. John, etc)

Any advice or any referrals on who can help with the purchase of a resale?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Resale advice: go to advantagevacation.com

Syed has a lot of resales and good information for you. If you are okay with ocean view only at Westin, consider Westin Ka'anapali north or south, rather than Westin Nanea. Mandatory Star Options are so much better. Resale saves 80% or more and still get the benefits of Star Options. I don't even care about Abound, and that is what is currently for sale.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hi, we are owners at Westin Nanea. We currently have 81,000 Star Options. We would like to purchase a resale to increase the number of Star Options we have. If we purchase at Nanea, is it true that we would not get Star Options and we would only be able to book at Nanea? If so, then that isn't the option we would go.

If we purchased at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North, would we get Star Options and would we be able to use them to book at other resorts within Vistana (i.e Sheraton Kaui, Westin Desert Willows, Westin St. John, etc)

Any advice or any referrals on who can help with the purchase of a resale?

If you intend to use it via StarOptions and intend to keep it for at least ~7 years, then you may want to purchase at a resort with lower annual maintenance fees such as Kierland.

just4stef

Reaction score
If you intend to use it via StarOptions and intend to keep it for at least ~7 years, then you may want to purchase at a resort with lower annual maintenance fees such as Kierland.
Will this allow me to use the StarOptions in Maui still?

CarpeDiem65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WDW, Westin Flex
Yes. You would be able to book at Westin Ka'anapali using StarOptions at 8 months. If you want to book at 12 months you could consider purchasing Westin Flex resale. I purchased 81,000 Westin Flex for $4,000 a couple months ago. Per another response, contact Syed at advantagevacation.com. That is where I purchased my Westin Flex and they has extensive experience in this area.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Will this allow me to use the StarOptions in Maui still?
I suggest you read the FAQ documents in this forum to learn more about StarOptions.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Buy WKORV or WKORVN if you intend to stay at that specific resort most of the time.

If you are buying for the StarOptions (to combine with what you have at Nanea or to stay at Nanea, etc.) @Ken555's advice to buy at Kierland will save you money in the long run. The buy-in for Kierland is slightly less than the buy-in for the Hawaii properties and the annual MF's are substantially less than in Hawaii. And at the eight month mark, all StarOptions are identical for reserving anywhere in the system.

SChiam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WKORV, Marriott Newport, KoOlina, Waiohai. Hilton Elara & Boulevard
Yes. You would be able to book at Westin Ka'anapali using StarOptions at 8 months. If you want to book at 12 months you could consider purchasing Westin Flex resale. I purchased 81,000 Westin Flex for $4,000 a couple months ago. Per another response, contact Syed at advantagevacation.com. That is where I purchased my Westin Flex and they has extensive experience in this area.
What’s the maintenance fee for Westin Flex?

CarpeDiem65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WDW, Westin Flex
What’s the maintenance fee for Westin Flex?
Westin Flex for 2023 37,000 SO's was $937.95 or $0.025 per SO. So 81,000 would be ~$2,025
Kierland 1 bed premium 81,000 SO's was $1,977.50 for 2024

As far as conversion to Club Points goes:
81,000 Flex converts to 2,810 CP
81,000 Kierland converts to 2,600 CP

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Flex for 2023 37,000 SO's was $937.95 or $0.025 per SO. So 81,000 would be ~$2,025
Kierland 1 bed premium 81,000 SO's was $1,977.50 for 2024

Note that a Kierland 148k SO week costs $2,063.30 after tax but before Club fees. Also, where did you get that $1,977.50 for a 1-bed? The db shows $1266.58 + $41.29 tax.

1718336016523.png