• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing Resale

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
I just started the process of purchasing a Bluegreen resale points package, The Fountains in Orlando is the home resort, however, I will mostly be using these points at the resort Club at Big Bear as that is my closest resort and a place that we enjoy visiting every year anyway. I've got a couple of questions I can't seem to find answers to in other threads on here, hopefully you all can help me get some clarification:
  • Are there any specific resale restrictions with Bluegreen? Anything I won't be able to do? Can I book all resorts within the 11-month window?

• If I were to purchase a second points package with The Club at Big Bear as the home resort, can I combine the points from both memberships to book? Would I be able to use my points combined to book at The Club at Big Bear within the home resort booking window? (ie: If I have 10,000 points at Fountains and 10,000 points at Big Bear, can I use 20,000 points at Big Bear and book 11-months out?)
Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just started the process of purchasing a Bluegreen resale points package, The Fountains in Orlando is the home resort, however, I will mostly be using these points at the resort Club at Big Bear as that is my closest resort and a place that we enjoy visiting every year anyway. I've got a couple of questions I can't seem to find answers to in other threads on here, hopefully you all can help me get some clarification:
  • Are there any specific resale restrictions with Bluegreen? Anything I won't be able to do? Can I book all resorts within the 8-month window?

• If I were to purchase a second points package with The Club at Big Bear as the home resort, can I combine the points from both memberships to book? Would I be able to use my points combined to book at The Club at Big Bear within the home resort booking window? (ie: If I have 10,000 points at Fountains and 10,000 points at Big Bear, can I use 20,000 points at Big Bear and book 12-months out?)
Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Most folks on TUG will advise you to "Purchase where you will most likely go to".

With that said, I would certainly rethink your strategy, and not pull the trigger UNTIL you have thought it through and received satisfactory answers to all your questions.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most folks on TUG will advise you to "Purchase where you will most likely go to".

With that said, I would certainly rethink your strategy, and not pull the trigger UNTIL you have thought it through and received satisfactory answers to all your questions.

I'm fine with using the BG timeshare for The Fountains, I believe I can trade without issue but just wanted to clarify and clarify how it might work if I purchase BG points for multiple properties.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
I would call the BG help desk and ask your questions, I did before purchasing a resale BG Charleston TS. From what I can remember resales are treated as direct sale owners when it comes to trading into their other locations. You can bank your points for an additional year for a fee. You can combine your points from different BG locations you own, not sure if they always combine various maintenance fees that are due at different dates into one payment. I recall 12 month out reservations for home resort, 10 month out for the rest of the network. Banked points have restricted time of year usage, not allowed in prime seasons. Again, call and ask like I did!!!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You would only be able to combine at 11 months. Buying a small package at Big Bear would not help at all. Contracts have a deeded week or partial week and only that week or partial week is something you can book early. VIP''s (or whatever they call owners with tiered level of developer points) can waitlist so while they can't book prior to 11 months they would still be able to snag those reservations that aren't booked during home week priority. You have to have at least one developer purchased contract (or qualified resale) in order to book bonus time (cash last minute reservations) anywhere in the system. With resale you do get bonus time but only at your home resort.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buying a small package at Big Bear would not help at all.
Thank you, can you clarify why a small package at Big Bear wouldn't be beneficial? I have an extremely flexible schedule so I'm fine with taking the leftovers from the deeded weeks and VIPs. I figure if a small membership can get me into Big Bear as a home resort owner, I can use my points combined from both ownerships to book there and/or use bonus time to pay cash.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you, can you clarify why a small package at Big Bear wouldn't be beneficial? I have an extremely flexible schedule so I'm fine with taking the leftovers from the deeded weeks and VIPs. I figure if a small membership can get me into Big Bear as a home resort owner, I can use my points combined from both ownerships to book there and/or use bonus time to pay cash.
It would be helpful to get bonus time there although a resale there would do the same. In terms of booking there is no resort priority. You only get priority to the specific week on your contract. So if you buy a week 12 then that is the only week you could book early. Booking week 14 or any other week, you are competing against all bluegreen owners not just the ones from your home resort.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would be helpful to get bonus time there although a resale there would do the same. In terms of booking there is no resort priority. You only get priority to the specific week on your contract. So if you buy a week 12 then that is the only week you could book early. Booking week 14 or any other week, you are competing against all bluegreen owners not just the ones from your home resort.
Right, I got that. I'm not purchasing the second package direct from Bluegreen just to clarify. Both packages are resale, I was just trying to see how the points would work from two contracts at two resorts. Sounds like the points will work well and I'll actually get bonus time at both which is cool.

scc225

Reaction score
Are you buying weeks or points? If points, it really doesn't matter where your home resort is. You can use your 20k points at any BG resort at any time from 11 months out. It is quite unusual now to be able to buy weeks, although there are still a few of these older contracts out there. See bluegreentimesharesecrets.com for some really good information regarding buying resales and the rules. Alternatively, book a cheapo BG sales presentation weekend and ask the sales staff what all the rules are without actually buying anything from them. By buying resale you won't be a charter member, so you lose out on a few benefits there, but with 20k points you'd be a bronze member, which has some small benefit.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I'm not sure that The Fountains is a great trader as I almost always, holidays/Spring Break etc. excepted, find bonus time there available and often see it available on RCI. 10,000 points would not get me into Big Bear. I just checked mid May in 2021 and a two bedroom is 26,000 points. A three bedroom is 56,000 points. My 10,000 points would not get me in Big Bear in Sept either. If you want a two bedroom, just about anywhere within the Bluegreen system, and quite a few RCI trades, in a high red or red timeframe, 10,000 points won't get you there. You can not save points and add to following year and use those for high red time.