• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing Marriott Points from private market

Tingting

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Beach
Marriott is adding new resorts on 4/1/2023 so I am thinking of purchasing some points from private market in order to meet the threshold 4,000 points so I would be able to book Westin Resorts. Anyway, I am not sure if someone has the same thought and experience? Also, do I need to purchase the "title insurance" just to purchase the 1000 points? It is not the "deed" re-sale so I am not sure if it's necessary to purchase the title insurance for the point purchase? Any suggestions?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is adding new resorts on 4/1/2023 so I am thinking of purchasing some points from private market in order to meet the threshold 4,000 points so I would be able to book Westin Resorts. Anyway, I am not sure if someone has the same thought and experience? Also, do I need to purchase the "title insurance" just to purchase the 1000 points? It is not the "deed" re-sale so I am not sure if it's necessary to purchase the title insurance for the point purchase? Any suggestions?
I never buy title insurance on a timeshare unless there are red flags like divorce, out of country, bankruptcy and the like. I would not on 1000 points. I'm not sure I'd buy those though and if I did, I'd want to have extra to have options for most anything I'd want. For me, 4000 would not consistently get me a week in a 2 BR.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is adding new resorts on 4/1/2023...
What new resorts? I know that Abound availability for Harborside Atlantis is 'in process' but didn't think a date had been set. Other than that, I don't know of any new ones coming on line anytime soon.

...so I am thinking of purchasing some points from private market in order to meet the threshold 4,000 points so I would be able to book Westin Resorts....
There isn't any minimum number of Abound points needed to book at Westin resorts. Abound points *are* MVC points (aka Destination Points) renamed.

BabyDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
I have had no problems using MVC points purchased from the resale market. You can get them for about half the price as from Marriott. In addition to the sales price, you have to pay a $3.00 per point transfer (Junk) fee to Marriott to use them. Marriott also has a right of first refusal, which means if they want to, they can buy them back, which they might if the price is too low. Once you transfer them into your account, that they function exactly the same as if you bought them from Marriott. I've always paid for title insurance, but I've wondered if it was really needed?

Tingting

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Beach
What new resorts? I know that Abound availability for Harborside Atlantis is 'in process' but didn't think a date had been set. Other than that, I don't know of any new ones coming on line anytime soon.

There isn't any minimum number of Abound points needed to book at Westin resorts. Abound points *are* MVC points (aka Destination Points) renamed.
You are correct; however, Marriott said that it is better to have over 4,000 to be a platinum status so it offers more perks. I also noticed that Westin reports ask for more points so I just want to buy some points from private market to meet the platinum status.

Tingting

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Beach
I never buy title insurance on a timeshare unless there are red flags like divorce, out of country, bankruptcy and the like. I would not on 1000 points. I'm not sure I'd buy those though and if I did, I'd want to have extra to have options for most anything I'd want. For me, 4000 would not consistently get me a week in a 2 BR.
Thanks. Yes, even 4000 points may not buy a week with 2 bedrooms. That is why most of people do not like the point system because you would lose the value of your points. I have a summer week in Newport Coast but I can only get 4 days in Lake Tahoe with 1 bedroom.....

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like anything in timeshares, it depends. Depends where you go and what season. And what days of the week, and what size unit. With points, don't think in weeks necessarily, think in days. A common use of points is to add on to a weeks stay, the cheap days, Sun-Thursday. Flexibility matters as far as value with points. In general, we arrange points stays only within 60 days, it's not planned a year in advance like weeks stays. So, if something comes up <=60 days from now and it sounds good, we'll go.

6 nights at the Ritz Carlton 2BR in St Thomas in summer was 3400 points, 5 would have been much cheaper but wanted that 6th day. I was fine with that MF cost for a Ritz! A week at the Ritz in Vail was 2500 points in a 2BR, and we love the mountains in summer so worth it to me.

We go to Branson a lot (non summer) as we love it so much and I could stay a very long time on 4000 points and we've always gotten the within 60 days discount there! You would get more than a month for 4000 points (in a 1BR). Points are often cheaper than getaways there. But yeah, Hawaii, high season, Hilton Head, high season, not quite the same as far as how far they go. I personally would never use points at those places unless extending a stay.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, even 4000 points may not buy a week with 2 bedrooms. That is why most of people do not like the point system because you would lose the value of your points. I have a summer week in Newport Coast but I can only get 4 days in Lake Tahoe with 1 bedroom.....
I like the points system fine but I use weeks, points and exchanges to complement each other. In general I like enrolled weeks the best as a way to get points. My point was that if you needed more points, 4000 likely isn't the best number for you as it's too limiting for most situations unless you plan to rent to have points transferred to you at times. I'd basically look at where you want to be in 5-7 years then plan how to best get there over the next year or 2. The best level to get to for more benefits for many is Executive which is 7000 points though you do get some additional benefits at Presidential and Chairman's Club. It sounds like your current week at NCV is already enrolled. Good luck with your decisions.

Tingting

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Beach
Like anything in timeshares, it depends. Depends where you go and what season. And what days of the week, and what size unit. With points, don't think in weeks necessarily, think in days. A common use of points is to add on to a weeks stay, the cheap days, Sun-Thursday. Flexibility matters as far as value with points. In general, we arrange points stays only within 60 days, it's not planned a year in advance like weeks stays. So, if something comes up <=60 days from now and it sounds good, we'll go.

6 nights at the Ritz Carlton 2BR in St Thomas in summer was 3400 points, 5 would have been much cheaper but wanted that 6th day. I was fine with that MF cost for a Ritz! A week at the Ritz in Vail was 2500 points in a 2BR, and we love the mountains in summer so worth it to me.

We go to Branson a lot (non summer) as we love it so much and I could stay a very long time on 4000 points and we've always gotten the within 60 days discount there! You would get more than a month for 4000 points (in a 1BR). Points are often cheaper than getaways there. But yeah, Hawaii, high season, Hilton Head, high season, not quite the same as far as how far they go. I personally would never use points at those places unless extending a stay.
Thank you so much for your tips. It's helpful.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct; however, Marriott said that it is better to have over 4,000 to be a platinum status so it offers more perks. I also noticed that Westin reports ask for more points so I just want to buy some points from private market to meet the platinum status.

To clarify, owning 4000+ Abound points gives you Platinum status on the Marriott Hotel side...it doesn't provide any perks on the Marriott Vacation Club side. You could also get the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant card which for a net of $350 per year ($650-$300 restaurant credit) gives Platinum Marriott status + a 85,000 Bonvoy point Free Night Certificate + a bunch of other perks. Or stay at Marriott hotels and MVC resorts more often. Which is not to discourage you from buying Abound points resale, just to point out that there are other alternatives if you are pursuing Marriott (hotel) status.

Yes, even 4000 points may not buy a week with 2 bedrooms. That is why most of people do not like the point system because you would lose the value of your points.

As @Steve Fatula among others said, it depends. If you go low season M-F you get more than 7 nights out of your enrolled/elected week.

But the real answer is that a mix of vacation 'currencies' are useful. Our MVC weeks, Abound points, Bonvoy points, and 'cash' all have their place in providing maximum value.

KS2beach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WRF 2007
WKV 2019
SMV 2006
MVC 2020

we own at Westin riverfront and they are not in the MVC program yet, maybe next year they will be along with Atlantis. Also do not know of any new ones.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Extending a weekly stay is a good approach. We used elected club points to add to a July week reservation at a favorite resort exchanged thru Interval International