• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchased HGV Max - Questions

Diana333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort, Great Escapes Travel Club, HGVMax
Hello Everyone, please let me introduce myself, since I am new to HGVC. I purchased into the HGVMax program, and I'm tying to understand all of them new terms, so please forgive me if I'm asking some really basic questions. What is a reserve fee? Also, when I called the Hilton Customer Service number, the recording says that everyone's points are increasing by 60%. What does this mean? Thank you!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Hello Everyone, please let me introduce myself, since I am new to HGVC. I purchased into the HGVMax program, and I'm tying to understand all of them new terms, so please forgive me if I'm asking some really basic questions. What is a reserve fee? Also, when I called the Hilton Customer Service number, the recording says that everyone's points are increasing by 60%. What does this mean? Thank you!

The reserve fee is the part of your MF's that the resort collects for renovations, repairs or emergencies. You want your property to keep a healthy reserve as it's what keeps the property in good working order. If the resort doesn't collect reserve fees' they may have to charge additional monies for repairs when they don't have enough for repairs or renovations. The operational fees are those that keep the daily needs of the resorts functioning. Things like salaries, supplies, utilities etc.

If you purchased your deed before a certain time you had your points increased by x1.6. I have 2 2 bedroom standard deeds and each was worth 7000 points (total of 14,000). After the increase, they are now worth 11,200 points (22,400 total). They did this to better align with the DRI points. If I may ask, when did you purchase your deed?

Diana333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort, Great Escapes Travel Club, HGVMax
The reserve fee is the part of your MF's that the resort collects for renovations, repairs or emergencies. You want your property to keep a healthy reserve as it's what keeps the property in good working order. If the resort doesn't collect reserve fees' they may have to charge additional monies for repairs when they don't have enough for repairs or renovations. The operational fees are those that keep the daily needs of the resorts functioning. Things like salaries, supplies, utilities etc.

If you purchased your deed before a certain time you had your points increased by x1.6. I have 2 2 bedroom standard deeds and each was worth 7000 points (total of 14,000). After the increase, they are now worth 11,200 points (22,400 total). They did this to better align with the DRI points. If I may ask, when did you purchase your deed?
Back in 2008, I believe.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It was a Diamond Property 2 Bed/2Bath lockout in Orlando.
If you purchased 2008, DRI Orlando then you are NOT in HGV Max.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
its interesting that you THINK you purchased in the Max program and you're purchase was in 2008

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
Did you pay an initiation fee of sorts to get MAX benefits? Or did you purchase / upgrade your deed into something new that qualifies?

Reaction score
I have been to 3 HGVC sales meetings since January 2022. Each salesperson has a different pitch about joining MAX and the amount it
MAY cost later in the year. I am also an owner in the Vistana Timeshares and we are suppose to merge with Marriott. This merger has been going on for over 5 years and still not complete! I understand that a VP from Marriott has quit and is now running the HGVC with Diamond merger. I feel that paying into the MAX is to get money to upgrade some of the Diamond Properties. In the Vistana/Marriott merger there is no paying up for higher status as in joining the HGVC MAX.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I feel that paying into the MAX is to get money to upgrade some of the Diamond Properties. In the Vistana/Marriott merger there is no paying up for higher status as in joining the HGVC MAX.

Just like Max, Marriott/Vistana has not put their program in writing so no one really knows the cost other than what sales reps say in a meeting (which could be stretching the truth to get the sale, or could be true but limited to the scope of what they can sell - so not the complete offer if the company sells the upgrade directly to the base without sales.)

Vistana is not free. The latest rumors on Vistana is if you bought retail you get free enrollment in Marriott points system however you need to pay a higher annual club fee. If you bought resale you still need to pay to qualify your sale. Too rich for many mandatory resale buyers, why pay almost that same amount or more than the value of the resale just to trade trade for Marriott points when Staroption points and II for trading exists.

Like HGVC Max. many resale and single deed buyers who are not heavily invested in the system so will see little ROI potential in the fee. Those more heavily invested in each respective system may find value in the flexibility.

Last edited: