• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase resale then trade on interval?

beachgirl79

Reaction score
If I purchase a deeded week on the resale market, am I still able to use interval to trade into another resort? Are there any rules around it?

Thank you

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
That’s the approach many use and are very happy with.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
If I purchase a deeded week on the resale market, am I still able to use interval to trade into another resort? Are there any rules around it?
Thank you
Yes, that's exactly what I did. You can trade into a Marriott and most, if not all, other resorts in II. On a related note, many Marriott owners will buy and/or reserve a LO so they can get 2 trades.

I bought a resale Marriott's Grand Chateau to use as a trader. I've traded into Ko Olina and Waiohai several times. One positive "rule"/policy is the preference period. When many Marriotts are deposited, only Marriott owners can see them for the first 3 weeks.

If your intent is to trade into other Marriotts, it's worth it!

beachgirl79

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I did. You can trade into a Marriott and most, if not all, other resorts in II. On a related note, many Marriott owners will buy and/or reserve a LO so they can get 2 trades.

I bought a resale Marriott's Grand Chateau to use as a trader. I've traded into Ko Olina and Waiohai several times. One positive "rule"/policy is the preference period. When many Marriotts are deposited, only Marriott owners can see them for the first 3 weeks.

If your intent is to trade into other Marriotts, it's worth it!
The issue I am having is that when I try to purchase resale at a resort I want as my "home resort, Marriot exercises ROFR every time. I thought that if I purchase resale at a less desirable resort and trade into the place I want to be at. Not sure if interval values all resorts the same or how that all work, but I figured it was worth a shot being that I have had no luck at some of the places i want to be at

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The issue I am having is that when I try to purchase resale at a resort I want as my "home resort, Marriot exercises ROFR every time. I thought that if I purchase resale at a less desirable resort and trade into the place I want to be at. Not sure if interval values all resorts the same or how that all work, but I figured it was worth a shot being that I have had no luck at some of the places i want to be at
Where are you looking to buy for your home resort? Also, check out rofr.net to get a feel for prices that pass (or fail) ROFR. Price, season, resort, unit size, annual (or not), and time of year of the purchase seem to be factors.

Interval does not value all resorts the same. They good news is that they highly value Marriott. Some tuggers will tell you to avoid the overbuilt areas (Orlando, Williamsburg, Las Vegas, and Branson come to mind), but I'm not of that mindset. I've had some great trades with my timeshares from 3 of those locations.

You will have the ability to exchange into many locations/resorts with a Marriott, but I would not buy a "Marriott trader" to trade into other systems...especially considering some also have their own preference period. If you are looking to trade into Marriott, then I stand by my recommendation above.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

II assigns a “trading power” to each deposited unit.
They don’t specify the exact formula they use to determine trading power but one factor is resort rating. Many Marriotts are elite, but a few are lower at premiere.
Another factor is the TDI ( travel demand index) which is essentially the desirability of the week you deposit. If you buy a platinum week it will generally allow you to reserve and deposit a higher TDI week into II than if you purchase a gold or silver week. But TDI does vary by week even within a season so you just need to be sure to book the highest TDI week to deposit into II regardless of the season you buy.
I own a gold season week at a premiere Marriott resort. I have only stayed there once. I reserve the highest TDI week in my season, deposit it into II and place a request for where I would like to exchange as far in advance as possible (usually 9 months +). I usually lock off, but occasionally if the trade I want is an upgrade from what I am depositing ( say I seek a higher TDI week at an elite resort) I may keep the full 2 br. I have exchanged to Hawaii, HHI, Paris Disney, Phoenix, Palm Desert, etc very successful by planning ahead.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends in part of where you want to stay routinely as your "home resort" but as a rule I would not suggest buying to trade in as the routine. You're adding roughly $300 a year to your costs with trading fees and II membership plus you still will likely have closing costs. If you're still looking at MB Gold I'd just keep trying and maybe up your ceiling price a little bit if you want just to be done with it. I don't have a lot of experience trading in there, done it once, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could make it work. Ultimately it depends on how frequently you'd use it vs trade. For that resorts being gold and not having lockout's I might be willing to give the trading in a try if I wanted to trade elsewhere a modest amount anyway. Maybe somewhere else you want to go or somewhere cheaper, with lockoff's and a good DC points in case I decide to enroll later. Maybe Platinum GV or LV or if I were sure I didn't want to enroll later, likely Willow Ridge. Though Desert gold/platinum weeks and Harbour Lake Platinum & Manor Club Platinum would be good considerations. You might also consider HHI gold as it's different and it's trade power might be a little better though not lockout's and you might have the same ROFR issue. Just some thoughts.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
There are eight Marriott TS that are exempt from the ROFR. Desert Springs 1 (Palm Desert) is one of them and I bought it after failing a few ROFR. If you google it, you can get a list of all eight and make your choice from there. On Dioxide's ROFR database, Marriott is much more active in ROFR than they used to be.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are eight Marriott TS that are exempt from the ROFR. Desert Springs 1 (Palm Desert) is one of them and I bought it after failing a few ROFR. If you google it, you can get a list of all eight and make your choice from there. On Dioxide's ROFR database, Marriott is much more active in ROFR than they used to be.
I had always understood that this was perhaps the best source of information on MVC ROFR.
This shows 14 MVC resorts do not require ROFR.
Has this changed now?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Given that Marriott can convert ROFR'd weeks into their corresponding DC points value and deposit them into the trust to be resold at $14 per point (plus or minus), they have an incentive to be more aggressive with ROFR.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Something else to consider in what to purchase is how you will handle trading through II. Do you plan on making your trades on a 'Request First' basis or do you plan on 'depositing' your week and hoping for the best in your search for a prospective trade? With Request First, you still 'own' your week. It doesn't become II's unless/until you accept a trade they offer you for it. (ie. "Hi, I am requesting a trade into Marriott Grande Vista in a 2BR unit during the months of April or May 2020). If they find a match, they will call you to move forward with the exchange. If they don't, you still have your owned week to use. With depositing your week, you've given up ownership of it. Your week reservation now belongs to II (and they will immediately offer it to others trying to trade into that location/dates). The benefit of depositing is you have nearly 3 years to find a trade with them in exchange for the week you gave II (you can use a deposit for an exchange checking-in up to 1 year before the check-in date of the week you deposited to 2 years after the check-in date of the week you deposited). Since a 'Request First' is time-limited (you have until the check-in date of the week you are trying to exchange for II to find the week you requested), you have a much shorter period of time to work with. If II doesn't find what you are requesting before the check-in date of the week you are trying to exchange, you will need to rent/use it yourself to avoid losing it. So, there are pros and cons to both approaches.

Now, why all that info? It matters in relation to where you decide to buy. If your plan is to 'Deposit First', buy the location with the highest available TDI for the least amount of money that will pass ROFR (considering annual maintenance fees as well). It won't really matter to you whether it's a place you want to go, since you plan to give it to II as an annual deposit anyway. On the flip-side, if your plan is to 'Request First', buy a location you would want to go to regularly (in case II cannot find the trade you are looking for and you are left needing to use the reservation yourself - or rent it out) each year.

Good luck.

Last edited:

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3

I haven't read replies beyond this post, so apologies if this is duplicative.

beachgirl, in my experience, buying a low MF trader with the intent of trading into the resort you really want to stay at is not a great idea. We did that for a few years and didn't have great results. We ended up giving away those dog traders, and buying into the location at which we wanted to stay.

If you are getting ROFR'd it means you are not offering enough. Marriott sets the basement price with ROFR.

Here is my recommendation:
Keep making offers at a price point you are comfortable at for the place at which you ultimately want to stay. What Marriott ROFR this week, why may not ROFR next week. They have a budget.
Don't feel pressured to spend thousands more than you are comfortable paying.
Meanwhile - RENT where you want to stay.
You probably won't pay much more than you would for the MF anyway.

Where is it that you really want for your home resort?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I agree to rent until you are sure what you want. I tried to purchase Marriott DSVII Platinum and ROFR was excised both times. I then decided to purchase DSVI Platinum for the same price w/ Spring Break already booked. Worked out wonderfully for us. Our intent is only to use or rent because we own a cheaper Vistana trader that gets us what we need at this point. Mainland US.
We are not trying to get to Hawaii at this point but if we do, I could always trade our DSV I to get Maui. However we already own an HGVC affiliate on BI so I can eventually just trade internally HGVC w/out having to use II nor RCI.