• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase Resale Plat/Gold Floating @ an Orlando Property for Trading Purposes Only?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
A colleague who is a timesharing novice was offered a resale purchase of an annual floating Platinum week at Sabal Palms in Orlando for $695 plus transfer/paperwork fees, etc. and of course 2016 MF (approx $1200)..... As a DC points owner, I have no experience in taking a floating week and depositing into II......... Is this a good/decent deal given that the buyer would essentially have no interest staying at this resort or other Orlando destinations and would essentially use this as a trader into II for the ability to travel to other luxury type resorts (note, they only would be interested in Marriott/Starwood caliber resorts)...... Thoughts/comments/experiences with a transaction such as this would be appreciated.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Size of UNIT? II trades only across or smaller on unit size.

Resort chain? Lockoff unit?

PS Many Orlando resorts RENT under MF costs ... WHY own?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
The unit is a 2br 2 bath. I cannot respond as to whether it is a lock unit, but do not believe so...... This is a Marriott property, as mentioned: SABAL PALMS in Orlando...... I believe you did not understand the nature of the question.... The purchaser would NOT be interested in using this in Orlando, rather using this to trade into II for other Marriott/Starwood type luxury properties elsewhere.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2/2 lockoff in a II resort in Orlando. And I trade it thru II ... where trading is unit size locked ... can not go up in size; equal or lower.

And as there are maybe "1001" TS resorts in Orlando ... I rather ASK than assume.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
A colleague who is a timesharing novice was offered a resale purchase of an annual floating Platinum week at Sabal Palms in Orlando for $695 plus transfer/paperwork fees, etc. and of course 2016 MF (approx $1200)..... As a DC points owner, I have no experience in taking a floating week and depositing into II......... Is this a good/decent deal given that the buyer would essentially have no interest staying at this resort or other Orlando destinations and would essentially use this as a trader into II for the ability to travel to other luxury type resorts (note, they only would be interested in Marriott/Starwood caliber resorts)...... Thoughts/comments/experiences with a transaction such as this would be appreciated.

I would discourage a timeshare novice from taking a week and then thinking that they will have satisfactory trades. We TUGgers work alot to get good/great trades out of II and its not nearly as simple as it sounds.

With respect to the week itself, I speculate that it would be a decent trading week, not great but not bad either. A 2BR Platinum anywhere still has alot of trading opportunities in the Marriott world, but your friend would have to put some effort into it.

I hope this helps -- let us know what he decides!

Best,

Greg

Bill4728

Reaction score
I do not think that Sabal palms has lock-offs therefore buy a unit there for trading would not make sense to me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would have to agree with Greg on this one. Trading isn't easy and takes a lot of work. It isn't for the impatient or the faint of heart. It also requires persistence and checking II regularly. Though of course, even the novice has to start somewhere. I was a novice when we started out and made our share of trading mistakes.

I however wouldn't suggest buying anything for trading unless it was a lock off. Given the high MFs on all Marriott 2BR units now, being able to lock off cuts those costs almost in half (after factoring in trading fees). Sabal Palms isn't a lock off property, though it doesn't have ROFR so completing the sale at a bargain price would work.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are getting some misleading advice about trading in II. You can trade any size unit for any size unit, however........you cannot place an ongoing request for anything larger than the unit you are depositing. If you want to travel outside of high season you can get great bargains by just grabbing what is on line.

Sabal is 2BR dedicated.

I'd say that getting a 2BR lock off in Orlando and trading the parts may make sense depending on where you want to travel. This specific example makes no sense to me.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If your friend is motivated and meticulous and persistent, then maybe a trader would be a good thing for him/her.

But, I wouldn't buy a non-lockoff trader, I would be very particular about buying a Marriott (Sable palms is not the top of my list) and If you're going to spend any money at all, I wouldn't buy in Orlando unless the unit had consistent resale value. the high-MF's make it a hard 'give a way' even if you know that mother M will take it on ROFR.

Have your friend post a 'what's right for me' post on TUG (and be prepared for the 'don't buy, rent' mantra)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I love Sabal Palms. It is my personal favorite in Orlando and would trade well. HOWEVER, I agree with all the advice here that I would not want a week to use as a trader unless it is a lock-off. The benefits you would get for the maintenance fee at a non-lockoff (such as Sabal Palms) are just not enough, in my opinion.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Another question which may influence the answer - Where and when is your friend looking to trade into? If he/she is looking to trade for prime weeks at top Marriott resorts Sabal Palms may not be the right choice as a trader. Although the unit may be available for $695 the yearly maintenance fees trump that. I would think it would be better to buy where he/she wants to go rather than buy something he/she has no interest in staying at.