• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Long story short we regrettably signed up for a vacation club at Live Aqua in Punta Cana. I've come to learn the contract is via Fiesta Americana Vacation Clubs (FAVC) and financed through groupo Posadas in Mexico. I'm 2 months past my recission date, signed up in August 2022. My question is, what are my options walking away from this contract? I don't care to even get my down payment back, I just want to terminate the relationship. Since it was signed in the Dominican can PROFECO even help? Can a Dominican signed contract (Mexico financed) come to collections in the US? HELP

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Long story short we regrettably signed up for a vacation club at Live Aqua in Punta Cana. I've come to learn the contract is via Fiesta Americana Vacation Clubs (FAVC) and financed through groupo Posadas in Mexico. I'm 2 months past my recission date, signed up in August 2022. My question is, what are my options walking away from this contract? I don't care to even get my down payment back, I just want to terminate the relationship. Since it was signed in the Dominican can PROFECO even help? Can a Dominican signed contract (Mexico financed) come to collections in the US? HELP
Just like in your other post- is this the same TS you want out of? Same deal. Stop paying. PROFECO has no say over it. Nobody is going to do anything except cancel your membership. Cancel the credit card you gave them access to. Move on with your life. IF (big if) they drop a negative report in your credit file, dispute it. You are allowed a letter to mitigate it, but really, nobody offering you credit is going to give a rat's behind about you walking out of a Mexican (or Dominican) TS. You simply have more disposable income to spend on whatever they're selling.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you don't own a deeded timeshare at all. You do own a right to use for "x" amount of time as long as you keep making payments. When the payments stop then so do your membership rights. At this point in time Profeco can not assist you at all (you missed your 5 day rescission opportunity).

They may send you threatening letters but there is really nothing they can do to get more money from you. They may or may not attempt to "ding" your credit.

Best of luck!

xerox713

Reaction score

Me and my wife are in the same exact situation and we don't know what to do to get out of this. Same vacation club FAVC at the Live Aqua. Have you had any luck?

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Me and my wife are in the same exact situation and we don't know what to do to get out of this. Same vacation club FAVC at the Live Aqua. Have you had any luck?
So I canceled my card they had on file. I contacted lawyers here in the states, and nobody can resolve the issue since it's international. I contacted lawyers in Mexico since it's financed through Mexico, and nobody can help since it was signed at their Dominican Republic location. Tried finding a lawyer in DR, good luck. So I've chosen to take a leap of faith and believe the internet that an international debt can't be taken to claims in the US since it's not a US contract (or is rather difficult and not worth their time). I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.... They've tried calling me and my wife a dozen times over the course or two days last week and it's been silence since. Although I'm sure they aren't done. It's just incredibly frustrating. We signed a contract that pays $240 a month for the next 5 years plus our deposit which worked out to roughly $17,000 for a multiple decade contract, needless to say we were intrigued. Then you find out they have these hidden and undisclosed annual fees of $1,000+ over multiple decades and then my total investment jumps to $60,000. At that rate we aren't saving a penny and FAVC can kiss my ass. They wined and dined us, gave us drinks, rushed us through portions of the contract, straight up lied multiple times, etc. etc. I get it, we signed it. I just didn't expect to have this rather dark cloud hanging over the memory of our otherwise amazing honeymoon. Sorry for rambling on, I'm just incredibly disheartened at the experience. Hope this helps in some way.

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I'd assume like us you are past your once week rescission period? If not you can file through PROFECO. If you're past that period then you're in the same boat we are. Our vacation was long enough to outlast that period. Do you think my next thought was to review all that in the middle of our trip? No. They said we could go home and look it over and reject it if we found any issues. Convenient...

xerox713

Reaction score
I'd assume like us you are past your once week rescission period? If not you can file through PROFECO. If you're past that period then you're in the same boat we are. Our vacation was long enough to outlast that period. Do you think my next thought was to review all that in the middle of our trip? No. They said we could go home and look it over and reject it if we found any issues. Convenient...

Wow we are really in the exact same situation, it was our honeymoon as well, same drill with the breakfast, drinks and lies. Ours is $290 a month, we put about $3870 down payment and still have about $13,500 financed. We signed it two weeks ago and yes we are out of recission period. We have a free consultation with Center Stone Group on Tuesday. They claim to be able to help us get out of this mess based on our initial call. Their online reviews seem good and would like to see what they have to offer.
In the mean time I am going to write a letter tonight to Fiesta Americana requesting the cancellation due to pressuring us in signing the contract, lies and the fact that they gave us 4 glasses of alcohol drinks before and during the presentation which affected our decision making. I am also letting them know that we are prepared to report all this to PROFECO with all their dark and possibly illegal tactics, I don't think it matters that we are over the 5 days rescission period. I saw a few members who were lucky and got them to cancel it and even got a refund after involving PROFECO and having a lengthy fight.

We are going to try everything we can.

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I wanted to go the letter route and have yet to do so. I simply lack a template or idea of how to appropriately phrase the matter and I've had a hard time tracking down a viable address for them. Additionally you'll have to update me on how your meeting goes with Cornerstone. Nothing against that approach but I'm sure you've read the various reviews on both ends of the spectrum about timeshare cancelation agencies. Needless to say, best of luck and keep me posted please!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow we are really in the exact same situation, it was our honeymoon as well, same drill with the breakfast, drinks and lies. Ours is $290 a month, we put about $3870 down payment and still have about $13,500 financed. We signed it two weeks ago and yes we are out of recission period. We have a free consultation with Center Stone Group on Tuesday. They claim to be able to help us get out of this mess based on our initial call. Their online reviews seem good and would like to see what they have to offer.
In the mean time I am going to write a letter tonight to Fiesta Americana requesting the cancellation due to pressuring us in signing the contract, lies and the fact that they gave us 4 glasses of alcohol drinks before and during the presentation which affected our decision making. I am also letting them know that we are prepared to report all this to PROFECO with all their dark and possibly illegal tactics, I don't think it matters that we are over the 5 days rescission period. I saw a few members who were lucky and got them to cancel it and even got a refund after involving PROFECO and having a lengthy fight.

Be careful of doing business with anyone who claims to be able to get you out of your signed obligation, especially if they want UP FRONT money. Pay in advance schemes are nothing but to lighten your wallet (I would call it stealing). Once they get their cash they're long gone and you're left holding the bag.

Of course they all deny it. --- they have to in order to keep that income source flowing with green pieces of paper that have pictures of dead men (money).

DON'T get ripped off........

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a free consultation with Center Stone Group on Tuesday. They claim to be able to help us get out of this mess based on our initial call. Their online reviews seem good and would like to see what they have to offer.
Don't pay them any $$ in advance. It is just another scam.
If your letter doesn't work, then I would just stop paying and chalk up the down payment as a learning experience

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Don't pay them any $$ in advance. It is just another scam.
If your letter doesn't work, then I would just stop paying and chalk up the down payment as a learning experience
That's been my new approach exactly. Crossing my fingers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another tried and true method is to spread their deception and marketing practices wherever people look for them on social media. It won't be quick, but when it starts to affect their bookings and bottom line, they will reach out to you to pay you off with the condition that you bring down all the derogatory comments about them. Obviously, doing nothing is easier, but they will have put your down payment in their pockets. Exposing their deceptions might, repeat- MIGHT- get them to refund what they've gotten from you.

Good Luck!

Jim

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Don’t make another mistake by falling for lies from an exit company. You’ll be out even more money. In the end they will just say “stop paying” and I think you already got that advice here for free.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you stop paying, I wouldn't plan on booking any trips back to Live Aqua or any properties associated with them.

xerox713

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for the advice. It has been very helpful. I am still waiting for them to respond to my letter. They sent me an email the next day I sent the letter telling me that they are going to assign someone to the case and that I should get a response in 5 to 20 business day. I will keep you guys updated. If they say no I will then proceed to do the reviews online, contact PROFECO and try with this exit company without paying upfront of course. I will basically try everything I can.

xerox713

Reaction score
We are also planning on reporting our credit card stolen so they don't start charging us. Our main concern is, has anyone heard or experienced fiesta americana taking it to collections and hurting credit score? They don't have my social security number but they do have a copy of my drivers license. Not sure how far they are willing to go with this.

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
We are also planning on reporting our credit card stolen so they don't start charging us. Our main concern is, has anyone heard or experienced fiesta americana taking it to collections and hurting credit score? They don't have my social security number but they do have a copy of my drivers license. Not sure how far they are willing to go with this.
So I just received a very strange email from FAVC stating it was a payment cancelation receipt. It essentially looked like they were attempting to cancel my contract and credit back my initial membership down payment and closing cost back to the card I used (which I've since canceled). Are they actually submitting to my request and refunding me!?!? This seems more like a ploy to get me to update my card info since they know I canceled it...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just received a very strange email from FAVC stating it was a payment cancelation receipt. It essentially looked like they were attempting to cancel my contract and credit back my initial membership down payment and closing cost back to the card I used (which I've since canceled). Are they actually submitting to my request and refunding me!?!? This seems more like a ploy to get me to update my card info since they know I canceled it...
Perhaps you might email back and say that once you get unequivocal confirmation that they are canceling the membership, you'll provide a means for them to refund any money, but you won't reinstate a credit card that they can debit. You could open an account at a local bank or credit union with a dollar or two in it and give them a debit card number so they can make a deposit, but there is nearly nothing there for them to take.

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Perhaps you might email back and say that once you get unequivocal confirmation that they are canceling the membership, you'll provide a means for them to refund any money, but you won't reinstate a credit card that they can debit. You could open an account at a local bank or credit union with a dollar or two in it and give them a debit card number so they can make a deposit, but there is nearly nothing there for them to take.
I should note, a few days prior to this I was sent an email by an individual representing FAVC (just no official FAVC header, etc). They must work for them as they noted my outstanding account balance with specifics and said I have until December 30th to pay my outstanding balance or risk default. Then two days later I get this cancelation email. I guess that's why I'm feeling baited into some sort of contact which I've 100% avoided. I also find it funny that their nice emails about canceling are sent in English but the threat emails are in Spanish, which they know I don't speak via account preference lol.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Could they send you a check?

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Could they send you a check?
Possibly I suppose. Like I said I guess I'm just more hesitant to engage with them again. They've been strange in that asside from a barrage of 20+ calls in one day a month ago, these two emails have been the only further contact regarding my account. Not to suggest your advice is bad. I'm just nervous is all.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Possibly I suppose. Like I said I guess I'm just more hesitant to engage with them again. They've been strange in that asside from a barrage of 20+ calls in one day a month ago, these two emails have been the only further contact regarding my account. Not to suggest your advice is bad. I'm just nervous is all.
The risk is pretty low with a check. They don't have a credit card they can then charge against instead of refund to. They send a check, you deposit it and all is good. I agree with you, you should be very cautious here. If you are 100% okay losing your upfront deposit, then no further engagement is necessary.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I should note, a few days prior to this I was sent an email by an individual representing FAVC (just no official FAVC header, etc). They must work for them as they noted my outstanding account balance with specifics and said I have until December 30th to pay my outstanding balance or risk default. Then two days later I get this cancelation email. I guess that's why I'm feeling baited into some sort of contact which I've 100% avoided. I also find it funny that their nice emails about canceling are sent in English but the threat emails are in Spanish, which they know I don't speak via account preference lol.
The threat emails in Spanish might not be from the resort, but from some who are trying to scam you (?).

jmvan32

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
The threat emails in Spanish might not be from the resort, but from some who are trying to scam you (?).
I can’t *bleep*ing believe it. I just got home from work and checked my bank account and they refunded me everything!!! I don’t understand how this happened! I’m over the moon can’t believe it, it’s like it’s not real lol. Thank you for this community for all your help and advice!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I can’t *bleep*ing believe it. I just got home from work and checked my bank account and they refunded me everything!!! I don’t understand how this happened! I’m over the moon can’t believe it, it’s like it’s not real lol. Thank you for this community for all your help and advice!
Congratulation!!! So they had your bank information? I guess if they had that they could have drawn on it at any point also.