• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Vallarta fans...timeshares in Marina area?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with the resorts located in Mazatlan's "Marina" area, but not up to date on what PV offers in its Marina area. Since we prefer to dive and snorkel off boats, that would seem to be the "best" location for our next trip. Any suggestions? TIA!:hi:

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any area in PV that is good for snorkeling, and especially not the marina.
Pat

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there are quite a few right in the marina area. Two we've stayed at are Mayan Palace and Club Regina P. V. at Westin.

Re. snorkeling, it really isn't great in the area. We did take a boat out once for a tour and stopped and snorkeled for a while...not the greatest, but did see quite a few fish.

I personally think the Marina area is a good place to stay, easy access to buses, restaurants at the marina (at the time), etc.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Casa Velas Boutique Hotel

I haven't been yet, but we're booked at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel 2/2010. We can't wait. Check out the reviews here and on TripAdvisor and you'll see why. We dive, but are used to limitless visibility around Grand Cayman and close to 100' vis in St Maartin. Therefore, we don't plan to dive on our trip to PV but we will appreciate the AI pampering that Casa Velas seems to offer.

JM2 cents.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diving in PV

There are a few topics that should be addressed.
When are you going? In the Summer and Fall the diving is usually very good at locations just outside the Bay, much better than Mazatlan. In the Winter and Spring the water not as warm with lower vis. In the late Fall the water temp is in the mid 80's.
Next, you would think PV's Marina area would be the logical place to catch a dive boat. Not neccessarily the case. There are a couple of dive operations that depart from south of PV in Mismoloya (sp) and Boca de Tomatlan. A couple of others depart from the pier in Old Town (beach of the dead or something like that). The largest operation Vallarta-Adventures does pick up at the PV Marina, but their office is actually in Nuevo Vallarta and they originate most of their dive operations out of NV then go by the PV Marina to pick up additional passengers.
In the Fall run-off from the rain reduces the vis in the Bay, but if you go to mouth of the Bay (Marietas Islands) or further out, the vis is excellent. Last year I dove Corbentena (sp) and the vis was about a hundred feet. At El Morro the vis is often 80 feet or better. The vis at the Marietas Islands is very unpredicable due to its proxcimity and the currents.
To answer your 1st question about what resort to stay at to be near a dive shop may depend on what operation you decide to go with. But that should not be the critical factor as you can get a taxi for $5 and go just about anywhere.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
We have stayed a few times at thee Club Regina @ The Westin and enjoyed it. There are several TS in the Marina area but as for diving / snorkeling, you can stay just about anywhere as both taxis and buses are inexpensive as noted.

I would check Vallarta Adventures for trips. We have used them for many excursions and always been happy. We did the day trip to Las Caletas where they had snorkeling in the water offshore (except on the day we were there, jellyfish were everywhere).

Cheers

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...all great tips. Bighorn, as a diver you answered all my questions and more. It's been a few years since we went snorkeling off a boat with Vallarta Adventures. The vis was good and it was Oct...and it had been raining prior to our arrival. I just needed to have my memory refreshed...it has been a few years. We're heading back to Cozumel soon, and nowhere in Mexico can beat that diving and snorkeling, imo. But, with my eye on retirement (if and when I can afford it) I'm trying to rediscover places in Mexico with "real city life" and also good vis for visiting the undersea world. (Mazatlan I love...but not at all for undersea action. Cozumel I love for undersea...but I couldn't live there, I'd get bored.)

P.S. Thanks again, "skier"...you're always a great help! :hi: