• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Vallarta Covid

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was hoping to go to Puerto Vallarta this Nov and Dec. What is it really like down there? Covid situation for tourists?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Was hoping to go to Puerto Vallarta this Nov and Dec. What is it really like down there? Covid situation for tourists?

From what I have been reading it looks like PV and NV are back on some restrictions regarding gatherings. The hospitals are full of Covid patients. The vaccination rate among Mexican Nationals is very low. The number of infections is not reported properly because many people self medicate. To me it looks like this winter will be very much like last winter.

Many resorts have been taking measures to keep tourists safe. We feel comfortable going to a resort but not so much regarding small vacation condos and hotels. We are vaccinated and still take the supplements that we did last year but we do plan on social distancing and mask wearing when being in contact with the public.

Part of last years problem for us was our resort came under mandatory occupancy reductions. A few days before we went south the last week of our trip was cancelled. We ended up changing our flights and came home early. This could happen again.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anybody REALLY want to risk being confined to a Mexican hospital or even quarantined to a hotel room? Yes, being vaccinated in a country where a scant few are, is some comfort, but is it worth it?

Nobody loves traveling to Mexico any more than I do, but I'm giving it a rest. Let's get more vaccines into the arms of Mexican Nationals.

Jim

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anybody REALLY want to risk being confined to a Mexican hospital or even quarantined to a hotel room? Yes, being vaccinated in a country where a scant few are, is some comfort, but is it worth it?

Nobody loves traveling to Mexico any more than I do, but I'm giving it a rest. Let's get more vaccines into the arms of Mexican Nationals.

Jim

We went last month. We are vaccinated and tried to be smart about it (carried sanitizer around with us, wore facemasks, avoided sharing space with others, etc). Nearly all our fellow guests were masking up, at least indoors. We came back clean. :)

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
I was at Club Regina in Cancun for 1 week in July; I have two weeks reserved there the end of October, and 10 weeks reserved in January at Club Regina Puerto Vallarta. I was there for 7 weeks last February/March. Our resorts took more precautions than I have witnessed in USA. With member discounts at our own restaurants, I ate there or in my room. We ventured out only a few times for grocery shopping and dining at marina. With reduced occupancy limits, the resort was not crowded and staff bent over backwards to make us safe, wlecome and appreciated.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If things go as planned we will be in the Vallarta area this next winter. I'm not certain we will head to Ajijjic or the Rosario butterfly sanctuary this year but both are on the short list.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
We're going through our third wave right now. I'm in Mazatlán and Sinaloa is back to being red (the worst outbreak level), as is Nayarit, Jalisco (Puerto Vallarta), Colima, and Guerrero (Acapulco). Map is here: https://datos.covid-19.conacyt.mx/#SemaFE. This time more drastic measures are being taken here in Mazatlán, and proof of vaccination or a recent negative covid-19 test is required to enter restaurants/bars/... From what I heard, Puerto Vallarta has implemented very restricted percentages of occupation in restaurants/bars, and establishments have limited operating hours. Last November I took a trip down the coast from here to Puerto Escondido. Puerto Vallarta and Puerto Escondido were the two cities with the fewest number of people masking properly. In both places it was primarily the tourists who were ignoring public health safety - most of the workers in shops/restaurants were masking.

So I think this is what we have to expect for the next year or two. Waves of increased illness will happen, some people will vaccinate and others will die. Things will go back to being relaxed and another wave will come through and some people will vaccinate and others will die. It's a pandemic and when tourists are allowed to travel without being vaccinated then the virus will continue spreading and mutating and spreading and mutating.

But, to answer the original question - November/December are a few months away. Things change too quickly to be able to guess where we'll be then. If you've been vaccinated then the chances you'll become infected and get sick to the point where you need a hospital is likely VERY low. I have plans to visit Puerto Vallarta, México City, and Acapulco this November. I'll be following the guidelines in place at the time I travel, and I've had both my doses of Pfizer. Choice is yours, based on your own situation.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We also have plans for 3 weeks in PV this November and are still planning to go. We moved last years weeks to this year and got our miles back for 2020 and applied them to the 2021 flight. Our 3 weeks are at the Buganvilias and we have our Sky Suite one week and then 2 weeks in an oceanfront unit. We are not planning to go out and about as much as usual, but are hoping to just enjoy sitting on the deck, listening to the waves and reading. We did that at the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco back in May and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mega is just a few blocks away and we generally buy food for breakfast and some meals in our unit. We will probably do more this year as we can walk to the Mega and buy enough for a week and take a taxi back with plenty of food and beverages. I can make a lot of things with rotisserie chicken. We can also eat at the resort some as they have several restaurants.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer. Did you get Pfizer in Mazatlan. Thanks kindly for the information.

I went up to Seattle and received the vaccinations there. They are using some Pfizer here, and a lot of the CanSino from what I understand.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We also have plans for 3 weeks in PV this November and are still planning to go. We moved last years weeks to this year and got our miles back for 2020 and applied them to the 2021 flight. Our 3 weeks are at the Buganvilias and we have our Sky Suite one week and then 2 weeks in an oceanfront unit. We are not planning to go out and about as much as usual, but are hoping to just enjoy sitting on the deck, listening to the waves and reading. We did that at the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco back in May and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mega is just a few blocks away and we generally buy food for breakfast and some meals in our unit. We will probably do more this year as we can walk to the Mega and buy enough for a week and take a taxi back with plenty of food and beverages. I can make a lot of things with rotisserie chicken. We can also eat at the resort some as they have several restaurants.

That's about what I did last year, and will probably do again this year. It was very relaxing. :)

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a debbie downer but yes Mexico was in a huge new upsurge of cases,which has started a downward trend except in Lakeside area, ie: Ajijic which is still climbing. There is yet another surge predicted for November or December. Many are still not vaccinated, slow going and mask enforcement in Jalisco is terrible. Choose your resorts wisely. I am headed to Casa Velas sunday and then Paradise Village after that, fingers crossed on Paradise Village.

I just submitted a review of my July trip to Villa Del Palmar during Jalisco's highest surge. I really like that resort but wow they fell short.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry to be a debbie downer but yes Mexico was in a huge new upsurge of cases,which has started a downward trend except in Lakeside area, ie: Ajijic which is still climbing. There is yet another surge predicted for November or December. Many are still not vaccinated, slow going and mask enforcement in Jalisco is terrible. Choose your resorts wisely. I am headed to Casa Velas sunday and then Paradise Village after that, fingers crossed on Paradise Village.

I just submitted a review of my July trip to Villa Del Palmar during Jalisco's highest surge. I really like that resort but wow they fell short.

I will check out your review. VDP PV is a decent resort. Where did they fall short ?

Bill

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Phyllis I will be looking forward to hearing how it is going when you are down there in November. As of now we are staying at the Sheraton Buganvillias from Dec 4 to 11. Although I would hate to cancel and have even more airline vouchers if I don't feel that it will be a safe trip then I would cancel. Next week will be the first time I am on a plane since this started. We have done quite a few driving holidays but nothing that requires flying. With driving we can decide how comfortable we are eating in or just make our meals in our timeshares. We have usually opted to eat outside when possible. Being fully vaccinated I am willing to go out and do things but my husband and some friends are still reasonable nervous about travelling.

Joan

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When Patti and I flew to Cabo last February we double Masked, wore face shields, and gloves. We had only had our First vaccine Jab. We felt a little safer coming back in that everyone on the Plane had had a test within 72 hours of the flight.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
VDP fell short in enforcing mask mandates and other such things during a very serious, high spike of cases of Covid with zero hospital eds available in Jalisco.

Things have improved greatly with hospitals having beds and many fewer cases but keep up your guard.

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
So the latest from Paradise Village? Covid restrictions in place? Not sure willing to chance it this winter as we are seniors and one immuno compromised.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staff at Paradise village masked and following protocol, tourists well maybe 50%.

I am going to PV inMid Dec., but frankly another surge is expected, likely so after seeing last nights Day of the Dead celebration on the malecon. Wow,I thought there still was a pandemic.
If you go just be very careful, vaccine numbers are no where near the states and it is crowded.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staff at Paradise village masked and following protocol, tourists well maybe 50%.

I am going to PV inMid Dec., but frankly another surge is expected, likely so after seeing last nights Day of the Dead celebration on the malecon. Wow,I thought there still was a pandemic.
If you go just be very careful, vaccine numbers are no where near the states and it is crowded.
Pam, be safe, treat it seriously, you'll get through this. Are you vaxxed?

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passepartout, I am fully vaccinated, ( I flew to the states). I hope when the time comes to get booster also in states. I treat it more seriously than you can imagine.
We have no intention of even leaving resort when we go in Dec. I know the resorts protocol and feel safe with my good protocol there and theirs.