• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Vallarta Car Rentals

DRIless

Reaction score
At beautiful Ocho Casacadas resort. Experience with international brand car rentals has been VERY cheap base rates with VERY expensive mandatory insurance packages. What's the most economical option? Anyone have experience with mexrentacar.com ?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My experience with local rental franchises in Mexico is hit and miss. I had one trip where the car broke down on the second day so they gave me a smaller car which broke down at the resort. I told them to come get their car and managed to rent another car from Hertz airport location.

Other times we did fine with local rental agencies. Dominics in Cabo is the only local Mexican car rental franchise I have had multiple good experiences with.

The most economical option is the major auto franchises at the airport and renting the car through their American website. This option will seem more expensive but the franchise is bound by their terms and conditions. My last Avis car at the PV airport was under $200 a week. I used my American Express card with enhanced car rental protection and Avis included the required liability in their rate.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
At beautiful Ocho Casacadas resort. Experience with international brand car rentals has been VERY cheap base rates with VERY expensive mandatory insurance packages. What's the most economical option? Anyone have experience with mexrentacar.com ?

This resort looks incredible. Did you trade in there? If so which exchange company and what did you use to trade?

DRIless

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and went with Mex Rent-a-Car for $191 for 17 days with required insurance included, w/10% deductible (not a dollar amount like in the states.) Hopefully they'll be as nice on return as they were on pick-up.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and went with Mex Rent-a-Car for $191 for 17 days with required insurance included, w/10% deductible (not a dollar amount like in the states.) Hopefully they'll be as nice on return as they were on pick-up.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Bill

DRIless

Reaction score
This resort looks incredible. Did you trade in there? If so which exchange company and what did you use to trade?
You can get it as rental special through SFX-San Francisco Exchange and sometimes late summer exchange through Trading Places.

DRIless

Reaction score
Good rental experience, great value!

DRIless

Reaction score
Good rental experience, great value!
Had a hard time reconciling my credit card as my reservation was in USD and they charged me Mexican Pesos that when converted became $206 instead of the contracted $191. I guess they use some sort of very skewed exchange rate. Oh well, still a good rental at that price, too.

DRIless

Reaction score
UPDATE to include Cancun experience Thanksgiving 2020

I didn't refine my rental car week long US$186 reservation at Mexrentacar down to the exact minute I would arrive so when I showed up 2 hours past the time of day that filled in as a place keeper on their site .... they told me that I had lost my reservation because I hadn't prepaid and they didn't have a car for me at all. If someone was a no-show they could give me that car and the least it would be was over $400. I worked my way up the chain of command over the next half hour and told the MANAGER that on the Mexrentacar website there was NO OPTION to prepay the reservation. Oh, well, yes, you can't, but if you buy it through an OTA-Online Travel Agency then that is how to prepay. I told him I'd rented from them before in Puerto Vallarta and had a good experience and I was not having a good experience now. If someone's plane was late or their bags were held up in customs they lose their car, really, is that the way you do things??? I was as cool and calm as I could possibly be. And just stood there repeating that question. It took me 1hr20m but I got the economy car I reserved at the price I reserved it at.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I find the local guys regarding car rentals in Mexico or Hawaii to be a bit lackadaisical in their efforts. I have tried the locals a few times and only had one good result and that was Dominic's in Cabo. I like that Avis cars are low mile and reliable. When they run out the inventory a person rents they upgrade for free. Never had an extra or unexpected charge with Avis. Avis allows the use of a credit card to cover car damage and the rental rate includes the 3rd party liability in Mexico.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember once on Kauai the Desk guy really pushed us to upgrade to an SUV and we refused. When we got out to the Lot the attendant said we are out of the car type you rented. Choose any of those 4 SUV'S you want. Same price.

Nsivertsen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
we have been renting cars in Mexico for many years however it has gotten very expensive with the mandatory insurances. On our last trip we went with enterprise because we got such a good rate and purchased the collision with AIG beforehand which was a big mistake. We had to purchase liability when we got the car and if you purchase the collision at that time you can make better deals, and if a problem occurs it is taken care of then. We had some scratches on the car which we weren't even aware of, and had to get paper work to file with AIG when we returned. AIG must have requested 10 more documents from us to the point that we were duplicating their requests over and over. They gave us excuses, not clear, need more information etc to the point that they wore us down and we never collected . Cabs are so cheap in Mexico so if you dont need a car try taking cabs