• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Promo Stay Packages?

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Starwood still offering promo stay packages for any of their properties based on owner referrals? Is there a limit on how many timeshare presentations you can attend? We'd love to attend one at the WKORVN, but ultimately would rather own in Kauai. So when they start the sales at the new Princeville resort, we would want to visit there as well.

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a limit - you can't do more than one in 12 mos. However, they aren't even selling Princeville yet, so you could probably do Maui now, and Princeville later. Email me and I'll send you the details. dbmmayer@aol.com

And Mods... :D Starwood owners get NOTHING for referrals, not even a lousy Starpoint! (Just in case you were wondering.)

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
And Mods... :D Starwood owners get NOTHING for referrals, not even a lousy Starpoint! (Just in case you were wondering.)

Wow.. what a bummer.. Hilton has a great referral program.

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
No starpoints for referrals?

That really stinks! I've seen that you refer many people and was hoping for all the hassle that Starwood gave you something. Do they give you anything if someone purchases?

Is there an expiration on travel dates with the promo package? I'm due with baby #3 within the next couple of months so I'll be homebound for another year. But planning for a Hawaii vacation over a year from now may just motivate me for getting back into bathing suit shape ( :rolleyes: easier said than done).

Thanks again.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
they do give the owner a bunch (i think 20,000) starpoints or I believe free maintenace fee for a year.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
If someone an owner refers buys, then the owner gets 20K Starpoints per interval purchased, or $400 in "resort credits," which can be used to help pay for annual MFs (and with MFs in the $1400s, it can help!).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You don't get anything for making the referral. If the person buys from the developer, you get 20K Starpoints. But I always tell the people I refer not to buy from the developer...

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well at least that's something......provided someone wants to purchase at developer rates rather than resale ;) . You never know though, an incentive package and starpoint conversion may end up working for us by the time Princeville is up and running. I would love to give a tugger the referral bonus if we end up buying from the developer somewhere down the line. This place has been a wealth of information since I joined and now that I've de-lurked I hope I can fine tune the info for an actual Starwood property purchase.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
temerson - You're right, some people do want to buy from the developer; we did the first time. I just like to be sure that people know what their options are. Sometimes we see people post here with terrible buyer's remorse, because they didn't know, and that's sad. We're very happy with our purchase from the developer, but I know a lot more about timesharing since I discovered TUG.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
As usual, Densie is right on. I don't know if we'd buy our next week from the developer, but no regrets. Bought Kierland at $27K, got a load of miles and that single exchange made me into a Starwood mileage junkie! The vacations I had in only two years since that time have been priceless and irreplaceable.

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
stevens397 & DeniseM - I'm glad to read positive reviews of a developer purchase. Since I'm just starting to research a timeshare purchase I don't want to completely rule out buying from a developer, although resale costs wouldn't hurt nearly as much. We've got a young family (3, 18mos, & a third due in April), so timesharing is an attractive way to vacation. However, getting away with just the hubby where we don't need all the extra amenities is also attractive.

I still have a lot to learn and all input is much appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
temerson said:
However, getting away with just the hubby where we don't need all the extra amenities is also attractive.

Once you get used to the space and amenities of timesharing you WILL need the extra amenities! Our kids are grown and don't travel with us, but we love the space, kitchen, washer and dryer, etc.

BiziBB

Reaction score
Help! :)

Hi guys (my first post here!)
I'm seeking your advice on whether SVO 'intro' packages e.g. the Kauai SVOs/Princeville resort is possible even though I'm not contactable on a US phone number.

I understand an SVO person would call the (US) phone number provided, so am wondering if alternative arrangements are possible. If I have family in the US, could I arrange it through them, or route a call through Skype?

Having never visited Kauai, but planning to be there in May, I realise time is quickly running out to see if this offer is posible at all.

While at a Hilton in New York last year, we were invited to a presentation (some requirements were varied from those for US residents). I would have thought that SVO would work in a similar way to the HGVC.

Another (UK?) poster on FT mentioned that he did receive a Princeville package/invite but it wasn't nearly as good as the regular/US Princeville one.
Another poster (JPN?) had mentioned sending a payment for the purchase of a SVO timeshare. Thus, I'm wondering how to go about this.

I'd love to know if there is a way that we could qualify for a referral, so that we can send time in Kauai and maybe even get to see the Westin timeshare!

(Apologies for repeating what is possibly a recurring request, but I did not find it through searching 'princeville').
Thank you!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BiziBB said:
Hi guys (my first post here!)
I understand an SVO person would call the (US) phone number provided, so am wondering if alternative arrangements are possible. If I have family in the US, could I arrange it through them, or route a call through Skype?

I'd love to know if there is a way that we could qualify for a referral, so that we can send time in Kauai and maybe even get to see the Westin timeshare!

When Starwood calls you they are prequalifying you for the offer, so I can't imagine that they would allow you to do it through a relative, since the offer isn't transferable. The only way to find out is to get referred and see what happens.

As far as seeing the Kauai property, it's just a construction site right now - they will show you some models and artist's renderings in the sales presentation.

BiziBB

Reaction score
Thank you Denise!

DeniseM said:
When Starwood calls you they are prequalifying you for the offer, so I can't imagine that they would allow you to do it through a relative, since the offer isn't transferable. The only way to find out is to get referred and see what happens...QUOTE]

Thank you Denise, for following up again with the SVO referral.
When at the Hilton we were prequalified (a higher income level for OS residents) so I suppose it comes down to whether we can be prequalified, and the qualification level for referral.

I would have thought that income is not the sole qualifier as many people 'shift down' and while equity and asset-rich, no longer need to work fulltime and thus have a lower income but more holiday time (and equity to buy a timeshare).

If there is any discussion on profiles (aka good qualifying criteria) of timeshare buyers, I'd be very interested. Thank you everyone!

:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My contact at Starwood says it depends on whether or not they are licensed in Australia. She is checking with Mgmt. and will get back to me with the details.

Prequalifying is very simple:
1) famly income (I think around $80K),
2) not a current Starwood owner,
3) haven't done a Starwood preview Pkg. within the last 12 mos.

BiziBB

Reaction score
DeniseM said:
My contact at Starwood says it depends on whether or not they are licensed in Australia. She is checking with Mgmt. and will get back to me with the details....

Hi Denise (and fellow TS owners),
It seems like there have been no response from SVO - yet someone on FT (living in UK) received a different kind of offer (albeit not a great one).

It seems unlikely that SVO/SVN will bother to contact me, or respond to your inquiry. :wall:

Are there any other hotel-based timeshare operators who would invite an Aussie frequent flyer couple to a similar 'try before you buy' offer?

Thank you for following this up, Denise, and to anyone else, thank you if you can suggest Maui / Kauai - based TS offers, similar to the Princeville/Kauai sales offer.

Cheers, :hi:
Ben

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ben, I'm not a Marriott owner, but I know Marriott has a similar offer for Maui. This info. posted on the TUG Referral Board might be helpful - http://www.tug2.net/ads/mpromo.shtml#The Marriott Maui Ocean Club

You could also ask about it on the TUG Marriott board, but ask interested parties to email you, because we aren't supposed to solicit referrals on the boards. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DeniseM said:
My contact at Starwood says it depends on whether or not they are licensed in Australia. She is checking with Mgmt. and will get back to me with the details.

Here is Starwood's response:

Hello Denise,

I thought I would get back to you on this one.

The Maui Referral program is not licensed for Australia for Owner Referral Preview packages. It’s one of those countries we are working on getting licensing but has not been approved as of this date. Hopefully, for all of us, we will get the approval in the near future.

formerhater

Reaction score
Anyone ever have one of their referrals buy? One of mine just bought about a month ago and I'm wondering how long it will take to get my incentive Starpoints...

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Anyone ever have one of their referrals buy? One of mine just bought about a month ago and I'm wondering how long it will take to get my incentive Starpoints...

I had some friends on promo stays buy in. If they pay in full, the Starpoints show up fairly soon. You should get a letter or something saying thanks and it will ask you if you want the credits (toward MFs) or Starpoints. If they are financing it, then I think that a certain percentage has to be paid off before any incentives are awarded.

Of course, this was more than a year ago, so maybe the process has changed. Just call and ask your sales executive, and then let us know what the scoop is :D .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If they financed it, it takes 6 mos. - I had to bug owner services to get any info. about this at all.

formerhater

Reaction score
If they financed it, it takes 6 mos. - I had to bug owner services to get any info. about this at all.

Thanks. I have an e-mail into my sales guy, but since it wasn't titled, "I want to buy more," I'm sure he's in now hurry to respond. I'm not sure how my referral paid, but I'm guessing they financed (at least initially). I'll keep on *wood if I don't hear anything.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told it takes about 30 days to get bonus points after a referral makes their first payment. Someone I know bought on a referral in late July and it was September before the points showed up on the account of the person that referred them.