• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Problems with Luxor and Budget

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from my Nevada vacation and enjoyed everything but the following.
1. Got what I thought was a good rate for Luxor in LV from their website. Included were a BOGO meal and $10.00 slots play. Both were a factor in chosing to stay in a more expensive hotel than we usually choose. Checked in and opened our documents in our hot room. Nothing! Stopped by the desk and the check in person was able to pull up our reservation which indicated we were due the add ons, however we were told to go to the slots club for the $ and were then told we could not use the free food except for breakfast or lunch. We were supposed to charge it to our room and then they would deduct the amount. I did't trust them and we were due to leave before breakfast so that was worthless.
When we got to the slots desk the person there had no idea about what we were talking about and had to call a supervisor who eventually was able to give us the complicated instructions to get our credit. Even then our chouce of machines was limited. I felt as if I was reverse shoplifted or bait and switched.

2. On our way back through Vegas for an 8 hr. layover we rented a car from Budget for 1 day. We drove exactly 22 miles but had to put 2 gals. into our Ford Focus. 11 MPG? When I showed this to the Budget desk they took almost 1/2 hr. to refund me one gal. worth of gas. We would never have noticed this if we has driven 100 miles. Any similar experiences out there? Hope it isn't a widesperad practice.

Our LC week in Reno/Tahoe in between these problems was one of the best we have ever had but the bad LV experience stuck with me longer than it should. Hope I'm over it with this vent. Yours, Jim

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
jfbookers said:
We drove exactly 22 miles but had to put 2 gals. into our Ford Focus. 11 MPG?
You presumably took the option, as I always do, to return the car with a full tank of gas. However, there is full and "full".

For starters, always check the gas gauge before leaving the rental car premises to ensure the tank shows as being full. Then, as in your situation, where you drove only 22 miles, put about a gallon (or less) in the car before returning it. The gauge should show full - just as it was when you started.

Why is it that way? Consider your own car. Fill the tank to the top. Then start driving. I'll wager you'll get a good 30 to 40 miles or so before the gauge registers below full. Keep that in mind next time you rent a car.

And for those who so choose, there are games some people play with this fact to pay for less gas than they use. One example is filling the tank with about 30 miles left to drive before returning the car. The gauge will normally still register as being full when the car is returned.

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
jfbookers said:
On our way back through Vegas for an 8 hr. layover we rented a car from Budget for 1 day. We drove exactly 22 miles but had to put 2 gals. into our Ford Focus. 11 MPG? When I showed this to the Budget desk they took almost 1/2 hr. to refund me one gal. worth of gas. We would never have noticed this if we has driven 100 miles. Any similar experiences out there? Hope it isn't a widesperad practice.
Whether it's a result of previous renter filling up early as DaveM noted -or- the car rental company knowing exactly how much to top off to get the guage to indicate full when it really isn't.... almost any rental car I ever get isn't really full.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing with rental cars. "Full" in a rental car isn't the same "Full" as when I fill up my car.

I used to fly down to visit my mom regularly. I'd rent a car, drive to her house, stay most of the day, then drive back to the airport. Total miles was maybe 30. I'd never put more than $2. gas in the car. I figured that's what I used, if that. Sometimes they wouldn't even ask to see a receipt.

Fern

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Fern Modena said:
Sometimes they wouldn't even ask to see a receipt.
Good point, Fern.

I use Hertz and Avis, almost exclusively, for 20-25 rentals per year. Neither company has ever asked me for a receipt. Assuming I check the car in while standing at the side of my rental car, they sometimes check the gas gauge to ensure that the tank is "reasonably" full, but often take my word for it when I say I filled the tank. If I check the car in inside the rental office, they take my word for it and I have never had an additional charge.

2hokies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your Luxor experience. I have noticed that those "perks" usually have strings attached, like certain meals or certain restaurants are excluded, etc. There always seems to be a little star next to the "perks" listed. Better luck next time!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
jfbookers said:
Even then our chouce of machines was limited.

Unfortunatley this is a pretty common practise for the "free" cash. But it usually happens in smaller slot parlors than the bigger hotels.