• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

problem with REDWEEK this year

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i put my CYPRESS HARBOUR, EASTER WEEK for rent on REDWEEK and ALL the inquiries i received this year were from TIMESHARE RENTAL COMPANIES.i do not do 3rd party rentals so i declined their offers. this was the first year my villa did not rent from REDWEEK. i traded my villa for MARRIOTT REWARD POINTS for the first time in 6 years. so be careful when/if you get inquiries thru REDWEEK unless you WANT to do a 3rd party rental.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, is there some reason you don't do 3rd party rentals?

About 40% of our rentals are through 3rd party vendors. They pay well, they don't cancel or try to cancel, what do you dislike about them? Greg

i put my CYPRESS HARBOUR, EASTER WEEK for rent on REDWEEK and ALL the inquiries i received this year were from TIMESHARE RENTAL COMPANIES.i do not do 3rd party rentals so i declined their offers. this was the first year my villa did not rent from REDWEEK. i traded my villa for MARRIOTT REWARD POINTS for the first time in 6 years. so be careful when/if you get inquiries thru REDWEEK unless you WANT to do a 3rd party rental.

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
ALIIKAL2, i like to have a contract signed by myself and the renter laying out all the particulars THEY will be held responsible for. that's just the way i have always handled my rentals and it has worked for me so far so i plan to stay with that format.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Still early for Easter Week monies ... about 3 weeks before checkin it should be rented.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problem

I was just wondering. Greg

ALIIKAL2, i like to have a contract signed by myself and the renter laying out all the particulars THEY will be held responsible for. that's just the way i have always handled my rentals and it has worked for me so far so i plan to stay with that format.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still early for Easter Week monies ... about 3 weeks before checkin it should be rented.

You are correct! My guess is that non TS people have not really started considering Easter/spring break trips yet. Give them a couple of weeks, mid January when if it gets cold and snowy. Feb. for sure they will be ready to book!

I get the strangest looks from non-TS moms, when I start to rattle through my trips. I just mention the current year, skip those RCI exchanges I've already made for summer of 2013.

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
hawaii rental

i just joined redweek in july so i could list my OF 2br unit in HI. i have not had any inquiries. it is for a 4th of july week at a beautiful marriott resort.
maybe i am jumping the gun, but i am going to trade for points also. (and have to do so soon). i just don't want to wait until a month before. it is a
difficult decision if i should do points or give it to II?? not sure if it is the
economy or what. i am a little disappointed after all of the wonderful things i have heard about redweek.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way too soon for July rentals

You will start to get serious renters for that week after Easter, and the best price will be within 60 days of start date.
I would wait if I were you until the last possible minute before I either deposited, took points. Can't you cancel and rebook within 30 days ? Greg

i just joined redweek in july so i could list my OF 2br unit in HI. i have not had any inquiries. it is for a 4th of july week at a beautiful marriott resort.
maybe i am jumping the gun, but i am going to trade for points also. (and have to do so soon). i just don't want to wait until a month before. it is a
difficult decision if i should do points or give it to II?? not sure if it is the
economy or what. i am a little disappointed after all of the wonderful things i have heard about redweek.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
About 40% of our rentals are through 3rd party vendors. They pay well, they don't cancel or try to cancel, what do you dislike about them? Greg

Irish you're greatly reducing your rental pool in my opinion as these 3rd parties are usually very reputable in my experience and are free advertising for you.

Actually as long as I don't receive a W-9 from them I would prefer using these 3rd parties for all the reasons Greg mentions. I dictate the terms to them and if I don't like it then we don't do business.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Redweek works like a champ for me but my portfolio is very high demand so its quite easy.

I always though other Marriott HI holiday weeks were also big renters but I'm seeing examples that other Marriott HI weeks may not have the demand Maui has and therefore not as marketable.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive had a mardi gras week on redweek for over 6 months, with no inquires . I have had it listed on TUG as well one inquire there..no rentals.. . Craigs list however has brought me traffic and money. Ive done 3 mardi gras weeks and 30 other assorted weekends and weeks from folks that came to me from Craigs list

Take from that what you will but I wont be renewing my red week membership

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems to be nearly impossible for the average individual to rent an Orlando week on Craigslist. :mad:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Redweek's "membership" fee is a necessary evil.

Even though I use it only once per year on average (sometimes to rent; sometimes to sell), I find Redweek to be a good source of market data in many contexts and therefore worth the price.

MyResortNetwork has been my single best source of renters, Redweek comes in second, but TUG and Craigslist are both worth a multiple of what they cost to use.

If I am renting a week and expecting to take in a couple thousand dollars, I can affort to advertise in all four of the above -- at a total cost of about $50. Using any rational cost/benefit analysis, I cannot afford to save the cost of using Redweek.

Separately, when I rent out a unit, most of my rentals happen either 10-12 months in advance or within 90 days of the check-in date.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems to be nearly impossible for the average individual to rent an Orlando week on Craigslist. :mad:

I agree, I know about the flaggers there but except for Easter and Christmas, why would you try to rent an Orlando timeshare. The
supply/demand ratio dosent work for me. Contrast Orlando, almost any time to. for example, next week in New Orleans. There are less than 1000 timeshare units in New Orleans and 75000 seats in the Superdome. There are a bunch of LSU and Alabama fans, still looking for a place to stay

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an Easter week for Orlando. Advertised on myresortnetwork for 2 months now. No nibbles. The only time I've ever rented before was to a friend.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek has always gotten me inquiries and quite often closed rentals.
This year I've had better luck with myresortnetwork. I posted my Christmas Cancun rental pretty late and was about to deposit it to RCI when I suddenly got a bunch of inquiries only 3-4 weeks before check-in.

Re. 3rd parties, I've also had good luck with them, but then started to back off thinking I needed a contract signed by the occupant. This time around, I regret that decision and will re-think it next year.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rented 3X now. One Redweek rented 5 months out for HGVC HHV and the other two on TUG for SDO, both around 5 months out as well. It really depends on what you are asking. I price in the lower end, but am firm on the price. Is there any availability in exchanges or getaways in II? That may affect rentals as well.

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
usually, i have had my ORLANDO EASTER WEEK rented by this time of year..
because MARRIOTT has to have the exchange for points by DEC. 31, i didnt want to be stuck with a week i couldn't use . i have enough weeks already waiting to be used in II in deposits,so i did the points trade.. maybe i jumped the gun but at least i know i have not wasted the week (read m/f's) for 2012.
aliikal2 and moxjo, PERHAPS, going forward, i wiil consider 3rd party rentals.that may be a question for this board sometime in the future.