• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Probability of renting on TUG

joe2000sr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not using my timeshare much as a senior. If offering a popular destination at a reasonable price how likely is it that it will get rented on TUG?
I would imagine making renters feel comfortable that it is not a scam it important? Anything else to consider? I want to do better than covering maintenance cost otherwise I should just sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You can list on TUG. You can also use Redweek (upfront fee of about $29.99 for a six-month ad), or go-koala.com without any upfront cost. All three work just fine for renting, but you should check rentals on Redweek for your resort and see what they are going for.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I will report my experience – just one - renting one of my units out. I reserved a unit at WKORV in Maui over the Fourth of July week, a year in advance, with the intent of renting it out.

I listed it on TUG, and on RedWeek, initially. During the first six months, I received not a single inquiry on either site. After six months, the RedWeek listing expired and I renewed it. I spent a total of about $119 on this listing, including verification and highlighting. I also listed on Go-Koala at about the six month point.

Beginning about four months before check-in, I got several inquiries on TUG. A couple of them seemed serious but they ended up deciding against renting for various reasons. At about two months prior to check in, I was getting nervous and I posted in a group on Facebook which is dedicated to timeshare rentals. A few days later, I had a renter!

So my conclusions: Redweek is a waste of money. Use their site to research prices and help decide how much you should ask for your timeshare, but I would not give them money again. Like I said, I spent $119 and got zilch for it, not a single inquiry. I was priced at the bottom of the competition so my conclusion was that they are not effectively drawing renters to the site. And why should they? They make money from the listing itself.

Go-Koala is worth using because there is no up-front cost. They essentially take a commission from the rental if it rents through them. I think that’s fair. Although I didn’t have any success through them, I’d use the service again.

TUG is definitely worth using and supporting, and I got several inquiries from my TUG posting. I would definitely recommend posting on TUG since it’s free and there’s no risk. I think it’s likely my unit would have rented to someone on TUG eventually.

And I guess I’d suggest that, if you’re a Facebook user, seek out the Timeshare Rental group(s) there, and post your rental…. You might get lucky like I did.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am not using my timeshare much as a senior. If offering a popular destination at a reasonable price how likely is it that it will get rented on TUB?
I would imagine making renters feel comfortable that it is not a scam it important? Anything else to consider? I want to do better than covering maintenance cost otherwise I should just sell it.
It all depends on how popular of a location and how reasonable the price. TUG is rarely going to be the place where you can get the highest rental price. TUG is probably more likely to rent if it is under market price. If you have low enough fees that doesn't mean you won't be able to make a profit.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I will report my experience – just one - renting one of my units out. I reserved a unit at WKORV in Maui over the Fourth of July week, a year in advance, with the intent of renting it out.

I listed it on TUG, and on RedWeek, initially. During the first six months, I received not a single inquiry on either site. After six months, the RedWeek listing expired and I renewed it. I spent a total of about $119 on this listing, including verification and highlighting. I also listed on Go-Koala at about the six month point.

Beginning about four months before check-in, I got several inquiries on TUG. A couple of them seemed serious but they ended up deciding against renting for various reasons. At about two months prior to check in, I was getting nervous and I posted in a group on Facebook which is dedicated to timeshare rentals. A few days later, I had a renter!

So my conclusions: Redweek is a waste of money. Use their site to research prices and help decide how much you should ask for your timeshare, but I would not give them money again. Like I said, I spent $119 and got zilch for it, not a single inquiry. I was priced at the bottom of the competition so my conclusion was that they are not effectively drawing renters to the site. And why should they? They make money from the listing itself.

Go-Koala is worth using because there is no up-front cost. They essentially take a commission from the rental if it rents through them. I think that’s fair. Although I didn’t have any success through them, I’d use the service again.

TUG is definitely worth using and supporting, and I got several inquiries from my TUG posting. I would definitely recommend posting on TUG since it’s free and there’s no risk. I think it’s likely my unit would have rented to someone on TUG eventually.

And I guess I’d suggest that, if you’re a Facebook user, seek out the Timeshare Rental group(s) there, and post your rental…. You might get lucky like I did.
I posted my 2023 week at MOC on Redweek and it rented within 24 hours. They handle all interaction with renter and collect funds. Two days after check in, I'll receive an E-check. EASY and several hundred $$ more than those posted elsewhere.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the years, when we haven't been able to use an owned timeshare week for one reason or another, we have had 100 % success with RedWeek listings, usually within a week or two of posting, so I cannot agree with the characterization (see post #4 above) of advertising on RedWeek as "a waste of money".

Posting the same ads at the same rental price on TUG, albeit at no cost, has historically (for us, anyhow) yielded very few responses and exactly zero rentals. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

This works really well for all of my timeshares. Facebook groups buy sell and rent seem to have many people looking. I have rented one of mine on through the Tug marketplace quite a while ago. The reason I like Tug is the renter was a Tugger. The reason I like facebook is you can see who you are renting from but that doesn't mean that it is legit.

For me, I usually rent to the same people or their friends and relatives.

Bill

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
This works really well for all of my timeshares. Facebook groups buy sell and rent seem to have many people looking. I have rented one of mine on through the Tug marketplace quite a while ago. The reason I like Tug is the renter was a Tugger. The reason I like facebook is you can see who you are renting from but that doesn't mean that it is legit.

For me, I usually rent to the same people or their friends and relatives.

Bill
Another important factor in renting a timeshare is name recognition of the resort itself. Potential renters who are familiar with timeshares and the area they are looking to rent are likely to be more aware of the name brand resorts than lesser known resorts. I am aware that TUG, Redweek and probably other rental sites allow potential renters to be alerted when a rental is advertised at a specified resort. That alert service often leads to quick rentals for owners of well known resorts in desirable locations during high season. Lesser known resorts in lower demand locations and lower demand seasons are as challenging to rent as they are to sell.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
My last three rentals had been from Tug members, nice lacations, nice resorts, good price. All them last minute, 2 offered, 1 wanted. The process was fast and easy.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My last three rentals had been from Tug members, nice lacations, nice resorts, good price. All them last minute, 2 offered, 1 wanted. The process was fast and easy.

We rented a last minute offer from a Tugger last winter. It was a really easy pay pal transaction and the resort was not too shabby either. I trust Tuggers and haven't had a bad experience renting from or to a Tugger.

Bill

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I have had luck renting out weeks on TUG, Redweek and VRBO, but if I had to chose one, it would be Redweek as seems to capture a wider audience than TUG as is cheaper than VRBO. VRBO's market is not really people looking to rent a timeshare and VRBO insists on being the middleman. I prefer not to have a middleman, so I use the Redweek basic listing. I am sure the verified and full service may attract more inquiries, but I usually rent somewhat below the market price (other listings), so I do get inquiries. My goal is to get rid of a week and cover our MF and maybe make a small profit. If I was trying to make $$, I would ask more and bump up to verified.

I am not in the business of renting, but I own 4 weeks and have been banking weeks and points in II and RCI throughgout Covid owing to travel limitations. With sufficient weeks banked, I have rented out a few of my home weeks.

We also own a beach house on Canada's east coast so we are very accustomed to renting. My experience with renting out timeshares is that actual booking seem to happen much closer to check-in, typically 1 to 3 weeks out.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a renter, I have rented from TUG in the distant past and from RED Week in the more recent past. I have had good luck with both but the Red week verified does take some worry out of the process. I will say as a renter I am never looking to rent at more than a few months out. Listings that are a year into the future would seem to be wasted unless they are high demand or event weeks where people would plan that far ahead. Another thing to consider is that some sites seem to have more listings at certain locations than others. As an example Red Week often has more listings in Saint Martin while TUG often has more listings in Puerto Vallarta. It would be best to list where there are other listings at that location. To be honest as a renter I am looking for a good deal. The price has to compete with stand alone hotels or all inclusive resorts. I will go pretty much anywhere with nice weather, a nice pool and a view of the ocean.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score

Redweek has been incredible for me from a rental standpoint. It is the most popular website for timeshare rentals and is the go to place that rental brokers go to also looking for inventory. You booked a great week to RENT. If you didn't get a hit on REDWEEK it is far more likely to have been a price issue then a website issue. I have rented numerous weeks previously and almost all leads have come from REDWEEK initially. I like TUG classifieds especially for last minute rentals but recouping more than MF or even MF on TUG rentals has been more challenging due to the people looking. I am assuming this is because the general population on TUG is educated on timeshares and not typically looking to rent out units at the type of pricing that is advertised on redweek.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have not had luck with redweek. I find www.go-koala.com to be an easier model, especially for Wyndham. TUG I find a bit troublesome. Love TUG, not so fond of TUG rentals and the LMR boards.

TUG has too many savy people, who all want bargain basement prices on everything. I think we trained them to want that. These are generally not the ones that participate in forum discussions, but the ones that visit and want a 3 BR, in Maui for example, over a holiday, and ask via the LMR board for $115 a day. I had a guy badger me for 6 months to let him have a 2 BR OF unit in Oahu for thanksgiving for $100 a night because I was eventually going to give it to him for that price anyway. They crowed to me that they always managed to get what they want at that price. I told him he wasn't getting it from me at less than 1/2 the cost of MFs.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not had luck with redweek. I find www.go-koala.com to be an easier model, especially for Wyndham. TUG I find a bit troublesome. Love TUG, not so fond of TUG rentals and the LMR boards.

TUG has too many savy people, who all want bargain basement prices on everything. I think we trained them to want that. These are generally not the ones that participate in forum discussions, but the ones that visit and want a 3 BR, in Maui for example, over a holiday, and ask via the LMR board for $115 a day. I had a guy badger me for 6 months to let him have a 2 BR OF unit in Oahu for thanksgiving for $100 a night because I was eventually going to give it to him for that price anyway. They crowed to me that they always managed to get what they want at that price. I told him he wasn't getting it from me at less than 1/2 the cost of MFs.

I have rentals listed on TUG, Redweek, and go-koala. So far I have only gotten hits through Redweek, but since it doesn't cost anything upfront to post on TUG or Koala I will keep listing there as well.