• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Private purchse of timeshare (Mountainside lodge)

barb5850

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a timeshare in Whistler at Shell Mountainside VAcation club. It is one week fixed week #5. Both the seller and myself live in CAnada. The seller has lost the original title certificate and she contacted the owner services at mountainside lodge and was directed to another place and was then told she had to secure a new original document and the cost would be $360!. She has the photocopy of the title certificate but not the original. Surely she and her husband can simply make a declaration or swear an affidavit that they are the owners and submit the transfer info on the photocopied certificate and submit that rather than spending $360 for a new original. HAs anyone experienced a lost original certificate before and were they able to use a copy or provide a sworn document confirming that they are the owners. I am pretty new at this timesharing and thought it would be a lot easier than what I am experiencing. Thank you.
Barbara

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Is this a deeded week? If so, a certified copy of the deed should be available from the local Register of Deeds for a modest fee. $15 or so would be what I would expect.

Sheila

Last edited:

barb5850

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Private Purchase of Timeshare

Thank you for replying. No it is not deeded. I had thought of that too but it is a leased timeshare expiring 2048 (I probably won't be alive then). I recently purchased another timeshare but it was deeded and while the new title has not yet been registered, (query: why does it take over 2 months to register and new deed?), it was a lot easier to get the deeded timeshare paperwork organized than it is this one. It looks like the vendor and I will share the costs of securing a new certificate.
Barbara

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think it is your responsibility to pay for the owners sloppy record keeping. If it was me, I wouldn't pay a cent...

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I don't think it is your responsibility to pay for the owners sloppy record keeping. If it was me, I wouldn't pay a cent...

I concur. Still, IMHO, the amount of the fee is silly.
1. Even if its only a lease, any multi-year real-property instrument ought to be recorded; but...
2. Even if its a non-recordable certificate (like a stock certificate), the official at the TS who keeps track of such things (corporate secretary?) should be able to issue a duplicate for far less money -- much like a DMV office replaces a "lost" motor vehicle title for a nominal fee.

I wonder what would these people would do if they were presented with an Assignment of Interest from the seller, without the original document?

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is seller's responsibility to pay the fee, not yours. Seller should provide all the document for closing.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Welcome to the Mountainside family!!

We have purchased 3 weeks at the mountainside and each of those weeks was closed by an agent of the resort. So the $360 may be the only cost you'll have to close and not an extra fee because the title is missing.

Most of the time the buyer pays for closing. If I'm right and the entire cost to close is $360, you should pay it but if because the deed is missing they want an extra $360 over the closing cost the seller should pay the extra cost.

PS what did you pay?? You can PM me if you don't want it shown on this public board.

Last edited: