• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Princeville news

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took a walk down to the former Princeville Hotel, fka Saint Regis. As you know, the hotel has been closed for over a year as it’s new owners are doing a major make over. We took the public path down to the beach which provided stunning views of the new profile, including an 8th floor swimming pool. The beach was deserted with a few icons of what was one of the most impressive hotel waterfronts in the state. Mother Nature has taken over but it doesn’t detract from the magnificent views of of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay. On the path back we struck up a conversation with one of the general contractor’s foreman who opined that the hotel opens next summer. I tried to attach a picture without success. Any suggestions?

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Sorry no pics, but the jury is out. I remain hopeful, and would love to know who the new owners are. (Any intel out there??)

I remember the old Princeville hotel in all of its beauty and I remember being shocked at what the St. Regis (then Starwood?) did to it. The gorgeous open Hawaiian air style lobby had turned into a lobby, and hotel, that would have been completely at home at an upscale in BOSTON. They stripped most any of Hawaiian sensibility out of it and turned it into not just a mainland hotel, but one that was the epitome of far east coast. It felt heartbreaking.

Very glad, with reservation, that this change is happening. Will await news!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sorry no pics, but the jury is out. I remain hopeful, and would love to know who the new owners are. (Any intel out there??)

I remember the old Princeville hotel in all of its beauty and I remember being shocked at what the St. Regis (then Starwood?) did to it. The gorgeous open Hawaiian air style lobby had turned into a lobby, and hotel, that would have been completely at home at an upscale in BOSTON. They stripped most any of Hawaiian sensibility out of it and turned it into not just a mainland hotel, but one that was the epitome of far east coast. It felt heartbreaking.

Very glad, with reservation, that this change is happening. Will await news!

Starwood Capital owns the property and is remodeling it to become 1 Hotel Hanalei Bay. There are currently six 1 Hotel locations with nine more under development.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I remember the old Princeville hotel in all of its beauty and I remember being shocked at what the St. Regis (then Starwood?) did to it. The gorgeous open Hawaiian air style lobby had turned into a lobby, and hotel, that would have been completely at home at an upscale in BOSTON.......

Unfortunately, I never saw that lobby but am trying to imagine it based on some visits to the St. Regis. I recall a lobby that would met that description (in 1989-90) in Honolulu- the Moana Surfrider. Had you seen their lobby at about that time?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, I never saw that lobby but am trying to imagine it based on some visits to the St. Regis. I recall a lobby that would met that description (in 1989-90) in Honolulu- the Moana Surfrider. Had you seen their lobby at about that time?

No have never seen that one. The St. Regis lobby that I remember was very open air and distinctly Hawaiian. It has been some years and I don't remember the specific details except that it it was very Hawaiian and very open to that drop dead view. The main lobby at Marriott Ko Olina comes to mind. And on an unrelated note, 1 Hotel is seems like a very odd name.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember the old lobby from many years staying at the old Princeville Hotel, before St. Regis ruined it. When you walked through the glass doors, you could see the entire ocean view right away. The remodel closed it off and made the entry dark and boring. I really miss the old hotel. It was not exactly Hawaiian decor, but a mix. Somehow it worked beautifylly.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I remember the old lobby from many years staying at the old Princeville Hotel, before St. Regis ruined it. When you walked through the glass doors, you could see the entire ocean view right away. The remodel closed it off and made the entry dark and boring. I really miss the old hotel. It was not exactly Hawaiian decor, but a mix. Somehow it worked beautifylly.
Yes, so many fun memories there!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The remodel closed it off and made the entry dark and boring. I really miss the old hotel. It was not exactly Hawaiian decor, but a mix. Somehow it worked beautifylly.

What I remember most strikingly, is that the Saint Regis completely closed off one of the most beautiful views on the planet and installed a lot of very stuffy furniture. It was indeed dark and boring, completely missing the point and downright depressing. Will be happy for a new era there.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the “1” hotel we heard this will most closely resemble is Cabo.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? From their website, it looks like this resort has kitchens in each unit. The decor is quite stylish though. I wonder how they will adapt this concept to Princeville?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

That doesn't agree with their website descriptions. The Cabo location is called 1 Homes Preview Cabo and is described as one- to seven-bedroom homes ranging in size from 1,745 to 7,431 square feet. The 1 Hotel Hanalei Bay is described as 252 guest rooms and suites with five food & beverage outlets.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was unfamiliar with1 Cabo until I heard the comment. Based on what we saw at the site, I don't know where they would put homes. We assumed that he was talking about the look of the exterior of the hotel.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Have been in that lobby a lot but in the recent 15 years mostly. It is pretty and at least open and airy, but the hotel now is so bustling that it feels a bit like a convention hotel - only in beautiful Hawaii. The hotel still has a lot of the old charm and when I am in Waikiki I love getting early in the morning before most of tourists are up and have some coffee there and sit out in the rocking chairs. What made the St. Regis so stunning was the open and gorgeous view of the Hanalei Bay.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Despite some significant rain lately, looks like exterior work on the ocean side is progressing. Had a nice look yesterday from Blackpot beach.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kildahl, were you in building 7? We are checking in next week and I was told today when I called that building 7 in the only building open. Called to make a building request, but I guess building 7 it is :) !

Sorry just alerted that you were in #6.

Last edited:

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kildahl, were you in building 7? We are checking in next week and I was told today when I called that building 7 in the only building open. Called to make a building request, but I guess building 7 it is :) !
Are you talking about WPORV or the old St.Regis? (There seems to be a mixed thread here.) If you're talking about building 7 at WPORV, I would like to know more about this and the issue of building 7 being the only one open. We are scheduled for May 15 and are thinking of canceling and banking points because of the hassle of getting to Kauai at this time. Having only one building open would certainly add to the problems.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you talking about WPORV or the old St.Regis? (There seems to be a mixed thread here.) If you're talking about building 7 at WPORV, I would like to know more about this and the issue of building 7 being the only one open. We are scheduled for May 15 and are thinking of canceling and banking points because of the hassle of getting to Kauai at this time. Having only one building open would certainly add to the problems.

Yes, thread got mixed with some of us reminiscing about the St. Regis, which WPORV used to run buses to with some reciprocal arrangement for our beach use at the St. Regis.

I was told today by the Westin front desk (when I called to talk about building requests) that the only building being used is #7, which made for a very simple conversation. Post #12 by Kildahl (which I had missed but alwysonvac alerted me to) talks about them being quarantined in building 6 so it is possible that is also being used now for 3 or 10 day quarantines, but not for general reservations.

Although still 2+ months away, Kauai has been quite restrictive and as of couple of days ago had only 183 cases and 1 death. Hard to know what will happen and the Kauai travel website does not give much indication of advanced planning stages or metrics for opening further.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

It would have to be WPORV as the old St. Regis is still closed undergoing renovation.

EDIT UPDATE: I see @zentraveler posted while I was typing.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry just alerted that you were in #6.
We were in 7 until our departure yesterday. It was the only building being used for guests during our stay.
Enjoy!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were in 7 until our departure yesterday. It was the only building being used for guests during our stay.
Enjoy!

I understand most everything at the resort is closed but what about Hanalei? Is there much open there e.g. the Tahiti Nui ?? Always a favorite when we visit. Their website reads like it is open and running as usual, but I doubt that is the case. Also, don't know the name of the shopping area with the great bakery (on the way to the lighthouse) but wonder about that too.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
fwiw -- Building 7 at WPORV is one of the buildings with the best views.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand most everything at the resort is closed but what about Hanalei? Is there much open there e.g. the Tahiti Nui ?? Always a favorite when we visit. Their website reads like it is open and running as usual, but I doubt that is the case. Also, don't know the name of the shopping area with the great bakery (on the way to the lighthouse) but wonder about that too.
Spend part of our last day in Hanalei. It is very quiet. Tahiti Nui has very limited hours. Most of the establishments and shops do also. On the day we spent at the beach, we encountered three or four couples, not including the young surfer is on the east end.
The Kong Lung shopping center is open but hours are limited.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spend part of our last day in Hanalei. It is very quiet. Tahiti Nui has very limited hours. Most of the establishments and shops do also. On the day we spent at the beach, we encountered three or four couples, not including the young surfer is on the east end.
The Kong Lung shopping center is open but hours are limited.

Thanks. Sounds like what all of the islands are doing and I am fine with limited hours; it is just nice that they have hours at all. And yes, Hong Lung. We like the bakery there; also has great soups.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The “ newer” shopping mall kitty-corner from Kong Lung is open.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, visiting the lighthouse is by appointment only.