• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prince Philip Has Died

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
It was announced by Buckingham Palace this morning that HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died, two months shy of his 100th birthday. He had been in and out of hospital recently, so the news was not unexpected.

He was the "rock" of HM Queen Elizabeth II in their marriage of 74 years. He was also an influence on many lives in both the UK and the Commonwealth, with his involvement with many charities, particularly his work with young people through the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. He had a distinguished career with the Royal Navy and was also colonel-in-chief of many British and Commonwealth military units, including six units here in Canada.

He was certainly bright and capable and an independent thinker, irascible and even controversial at times, but always set his own course. Despite a somewhat troubled and difficult childhood, he lived a life of honour, dignity and service. He will be missed, especially by HM The Queen. As he requested, and particularly due to Covid-19 restrictions, his funeral arrangements and memorial service will be somewhat muted. He specifically requested there not be a State Funeral.

My sympathies to HM The Queen, and all the members of the Royal Family. Flags have been lowered to half-staff here in Canada and the main bell in the Peace Tower at Parliament Hill in Ottawa this morning was tolled 99 times in his honour. May he rest in peace and have fair winds and following seas.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
He was most of all totally supportive of the Queen and of the monarchy. R.I.P., Your Royal Highness.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't know why but Prince Phillip reminds me of the old phone joke about Prince Albert in a can. Better let him out.

I doubt he liked loud rock. He did say something like "I wish he would turn the mic off" while Elton John was singing. He asked some young woman actress if she was a stripper when she said she worked at a night club.

He was probably a decent person but I'm not much into the Royals.

Bill

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I don't know why but Prince Phillip reminds me of the old phone joke about Prince Albert in a can. Better let him out.

I doubt he liked loud rock. He did say something like "I wish he would turn the mic off" while Elton John was singing. He asked some young woman actress if she was a stripper when she said she worked at a night club.

Bill

I had to look up the reference to "Prince Albert in a can", since I had never heard of it. Since I have never been a smoker nor chewer of tobacco, I guess that explains it! IME, even back in the 1950s, chewing tobacco was never as big here in Canada as it was in the USA, particularly the South.

As a Canadian, Prince Albert to me has always been a reference to the consort of Queen Victoria and to places named n his honour such as the Royal Albert Hall in London. Perhaps due to the differences in living in a monarchy rather than a republic?

Apparently RJ Reynolds named the chewing tobacco after Edward VII, the son and successor of Queen Victoria, who was known as Albert, Prince of Wales, prior to his accession to the throne in 1901. It was one of the leading brands in the USA and I assume also here in Canada. You learn something every day. Thanks for that interesting sidebar!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I should hope to live as long. He had a good run.

Dave

Brett

Reaction score

Bill

yes, he was known for gaffes
I remember the old joke about prince albert in a can ;)
And I'm also not much into the royals
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/prince-philips-best-gaffes-shocking-23522434

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can say is our book club is doing The Gown on Monday, and it certainly was a timely choice

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It will be interesting to see the shift in the monarchy when the queen passes, there is a lot of love and respect for her generation. Not so much the next generation down from her, and the grandkids are a right mess now.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
It will be interesting to see the shift in the monarchy when the queen passes, there is a lot of love and respect for her generation. Not so much the next generation down from her, and the grandkids are a right mess now.

Not really the time nor place for this discussion, IMO. Her husband is not even in the ground yet. This is also a political topic, so this is not an appropriate discussion here on TUG. I assume it's not just American political topics that are prohibited. Finally, IMO, there is only ONE grandkid that is a mess right now and he no longer lives in the UK!!

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Prince Philip's Last Wish For Prince Harry Revealed -
Meghan Markle's Husband Plans To Fulfill it.

Richard

shorep

Reaction score
Not really the time nor place for this discussion, IMO. Her husband is not even in the ground yet. This is also a political topic, so this is not an appropriate discussion here on TUG. I assume it's not just American political topics that are prohibited. Finally, IMO, there is only ONE grandkid that is a mess right now and he no longer lives in the UK!!
Quite agree, the really sad part of all this is the funeral will be televised at 3 o'clock next saturday,AT EXACTLY the same time as one of our soccer seasons cup finals!!!!!!!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about Andrew ? He has some questions to answer re:Epstein case.

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prince Philip's Last Wish For Prince Harry Revealed -
Meghan Markle's Husband Plans To Fulfill it.

Richard
Such a long and interesting life. I watched a series on BBC about Philip's life. He sure had a challenging childhood. May he rest in peace. He was the Queens soul mate.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
What about Andrew ? He has some questions to answer re:Eastern case.

Prince Andrew is the SON of Prince Phillip. My comment was solely in reference to the grandchildren. Still not an appropriate topic for TUG. If our leaders' families can be commented on, then watch out and let me loose on the family of the immediate past-President!!

Just sayin', either both are political, controversial, and off-topic, or turnabout is fair play. In any case, this thread is about honouring Prince Philip. I am requesting people respect that and have the good grace to stop changing the subject, or start your own thread!

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I agree. When someone passes, especially someone as prominent and philanthropic as Prince Philip, I think we should show respect, even if someone is not into the royals. Frankly I do not think the grandchildren are a mess. I really like Prince Harry and Meghan and how they are charting their own course.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prince Andrew is the SON of Prince Phillip. My comment was solely in reference to the grandchildren. Still not an appropriate topic for TUG. If our leaders' families can be commented on, then watch out and let me loose on the family of the immediate past-President!!

Just sayin', either both are political, controversial, and off-topic, or turnabout is fair play. In any case, this thread is about honouring Prince Philip. I am requesting people respect that and have the good grace to stop changing the subject, or start your own thread!
Totally agree. We'll said! Thought we were referring to the Royal Family!!:)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned