• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prime Rib receipe

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need a good prime rib receipe for Christmas day, I know somebody in this group should have one. TIA :clap:

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we got this website www.allrecipes.com from TUG. Awesome site with recipe ratings. We made prime rib using a highly rated recipe from the website. It was awesome!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
No matter what seasonings you use, here is the key:

Roast it on a rack in a shallow pan, starting at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 325 F for the remainder of the time. Remove from the oven at an internal temp of 118 F (rare). Cover with foil and let rest for 20-25 minutes (very important)!

If you have a convection oven the cook time will be 20-30 minutes per pound.

David

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, we have cooked a prime rib this evening as a try out before Christmas. For the first time ever, we aged it according to the following recipe from The Chef at Worldwide Recipes, TheChef@wwrecipes.com. It was the best prime rib we have ever cooked. Tender and flavorful.

"For best results, age the beef for 4 to 7 days. Unwrap the roast, dry it thoroughly with paper towels, and place it on a wire rack set over a pan lined with paper towels. Refrigerate uncovered for 4 to 7 days. Before cooking, trim off any parts that are completely dehydrated.

Whether you age the beef or not, allow the roast to sit at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours before cooking. Tie segments of cooking twine around the roast, between and parallel to the ribs, to prevent the outer layer of meat from separating from the rest of the roast during cooking. Place the roast rib-side down on a wire rack in a large roasting pan. Place in a preheated 200F (95C) oven until the internal temperature reaches 130F (55C) for medium-rare, about 3 1/2 hours, or 30 minutes per pound. Remove from the oven and let stand 30 to 60 minutes before serving."

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Perfect Prime Rib Tutorial

I have used this tutorial for 4 years straight. I've tried other methods but this one works best, giving meat that is melt-in-your-mouth tender, whether rare or medium well.

I use a coating of sea salt, crushed garlic, and fresh ground pepper. FYI, there is a new McCormick's seasoning of mixed peppercorns with a grinder top that is out of this world good.

My only change to the recipe is that I leave the roast in longer, pulling it at around 130*. After it rests for 15 minutes, the end pieces will be well done and the interior will be medium rare.

I just noticed; this is very close to what David does in his recipe. I start by ordering a dry-aged piece of prime beef 2 weeks in advance. The wet aged is good too; even choice non-aged comes out nicely.

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
David- Don't you have a Fry's nearby? They age their beef for you!;)

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just received this recipe from a friend

Gracie Allen's Classic Roast Beef
6¼ hours 5 min prep

1 Large Beef Roast
1 Small Beef Roast

1. Take the two roasts and put them in the oven.
2. When the little one burns, the big one is done.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't mess with it.

Just rub it with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. That's the standard restaurant treatment.

Charles

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
nazclk said:
I need a good prime rib receipe for Christmas day, I know somebody in this group should have one. TIA :clap:

I Season it with pappys or Lindberg Snyder porterhouse and steak seasoning. There was a guy that used to live down here that made a great seasoning I think he lives near Fresno now It is called Mitchell's It was my favorite but I havent seen it for about 10 years Maybe a Butcher shop in Fresno Has it. Alternatively make a paste with olive oil chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, Ground pepper and sea salt. Rub it all over and cook it on a bed of Rock Salt. After seasoning we had a recipe that told us to put a cup of oil over the roast and seasonings, after the roast has been placed on the sea salt. (A chef from the Country Club here had that in a recipe I saw several years ago) I dont have the recipe any more but I just improvise. Make sure to let the meat rest for a while at least 10 minutes after pulling it off the heat before carving. Sometimes I wait 20 minutes. I always try to pull it off when the internal temperature is between 125 and 130. We like ours cooked medium rare. It does continue to cook some after you pull it off. I cook a prime rib in a pan on the BBQ.
A couple of good sources of information may be the foodtv.com and there is a website the Barbeque Bible.

My brother in laws mother cooked a prime rib as a pot roast many years ago. They said it was the best pot roast ever.
Merry Christmas Harold!!:wave:

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cooking the Prime Rib

This is the way Nancy has cooked our Christmas Prime Rib for years and as strange as it may sound, it works quite well. The Rib comes out Medium on the ends and medium rare to rare in the middle.:clap: Minimum size 3-4 pounds

Season as you wish, per any of the above posts. Place the room temperature rib on a rack in an open pan for EXACTLY 45 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Turn off the oven leaving the roast in the oven WITH THE DOOR CLOSED.

Turn on the oven back to 375 degrees 45 minutes before serving. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THE OVEN. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.

For a 10-12 lb roast allow 60-70 minutes for the second period.

Nancy puts the Rib in the oven 5-7 hours before she plans to serve it.

The recipe is from Byerly's here in the Twin Cities. I have heard that many restaurants cook their Prime Ribs this way.

Merry Christmas!!!:whoopie:

Cheers.

Paul

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard Poobah's recipe before and I believe that it, too, will produce a superior roast. It follows the same basic principle for tender meat; long and low.

Tom

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
you forgot the Yorkshire pudding

We've had prime rib roasts as the Xmas meal for over 30 years. It is so easy. But you really should try Yorkshire pudding with the beef. You need to watch the timing and pour off the fat to use in enameled heavy oven pans, with butter to make 1/4 inch very hot fat. I use a second oven preheated, with the pans hot. Pour in the fat, then quickly add the yorkshire liquid, cooled in the refrig from the night before. It rises up just like popovers. You turn the oven temperature down part way through cooking. Look in any good cookbook for recipes. The beef can be "resting" when done. Add any more juices to the pieces stuck on the roaster bottom, add wine, add hot water or beef broth and wondra - whisk for your gravy. I have even taken to buying extra beef ribs and putting them under the roast. They give me more fat and keep the roast from sticking on the pan bottom, while sticking themselves to give gravy material.

lostinjapan14

TUG Member
Reaction score

How did it turn out?

And I have another question about prime rib. I'm getting married this August and I was thinking of cooking for my own banquet (yeah, I'm crazy) and I need to know how many people you think one prime rib can feed if they also have other things to eat. If I have 50 people, do you think one 14 pound prime rib will be enough if it's sliced thinly? I will also be serving chicken, hickory-smoked ribs, and other main dishes, so they should have enough to eat, but I just want to make sure everyone can have a slice bigger than a supermarket sample.

Thanks!

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 14 lb piece o' meat should give you 52 1/4 lb slices.
Ron