• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation in Hawaii yesterday

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Was it really 1000 points? It sounds like they had you buying the number of points you already had access to and would be selling back PLUS 1000 points. Totally different ballgame IMO.
I don't think we'll ever truly know the actual offer. First it's 1000 points, then at post #19 it's 3000 points to get to presidential. At post #1 it's either $15,000 or $18,000 for 1000 points under "two different deals ". I feel like I'm in a presentation.

Here's what I think I understand:
"Buy back offer" offer was to buy 3000 points to bring to Presidential. They would "buy" the Fairway Villas unit for $13,900 (which is about $12,900 more than its worth.) But with this offer price would be $18/pt, so total of $54,000 (overpaying about $21,000 over $11/pt retail.) They would deduct the $13,900 bringing net cost to just over $40,000 or just under $13.50 per point. Plus MVC gets the Fairway Villa to add to the trust.

If this is accurate, MVC gets you to pay $21,000 over retail (or $35,000 over resale), in exchange for them over-paying you $12,900 for your TS. This great buy back offer nets them $7,200 more than a straight retail purchase, and you lose the points associated with the enrolled week.

What a country, errr deal!

BTW, they would never buy back that FV unit for $12,900 from you if you only bought 1,000 points. Not enough multiplier, unless you paid about $23/point.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I am Titanium for life (earned), wife is Platinum (exec level MVCI.)
Only advantage for Titanium is 25% more points and 48 hour guarantee, both of which only matter if you stay a lot on business.
The other items like the choice benefits you don't get with status but only after you earn that many nights (e.g. You don't get the 75 night Choice benefit because you are Titanium, but only when you get 75 nights credit.)

Because I play with who's name the reservation is based on who needs the nights to get the bonus, I can tell you she gets upgraded as often as I do. I would not do it for that.
The big advantage of Presidential is the 30% discount at 60 days and being able to bank for 1 1/2 year vs 1.

Also, depending on your use of Marriott Hotel brands, the free breakfast offering for you and a guest can be very nice. We enjoy this perk regularly at full-service Marriott and Renaissance hotels. Since lounges have remained closed at all of the ones we have visited in the past year+, we've been handed a restaurant menu every time and told to order anything we want on it for breakfast. The last property we stayed at, the restaurant bill for breakfast was over $80 before they added the "Titanium Total" and changed it to $0. That's a nice moment.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, depending on your use of Marriott Hotel brands, the free breakfast offering for you and a guest can be very nice. We enjoy this perk regularly at full-service Marriott and Renaissance hotels. Since lounges have remained closed at all of the ones we have visited in the past year+, we've been handed a restaurant menu every time and told to order anything we want on it for breakfast. The last property we stayed at, the restaurant bill for breakfast was over $80 before they added the "Titanium Total" and changed it to $0. That's a nice moment.
Breakfast is nice, but Platinum is eligible for lounge access (and substitution if closed) same as Titanium. So there is no difference when going from Platinum to Titanium.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I did not see where the OP owned that Marriott is no longer selling. They have the option to ROFR any resale for resorts they don't have inventory, unless it's one with no ROFR. I don't even know which has it and which doesn't.

I watch all of these posts about Marriott because it is the only system I really want to own for using almost exclusively (kids and us), and the presentation we went to was interesting to me, the only one we have been to for 10 years. It was two years ago and I would go back to that salesperson again. I would buy weeks and then have them "enrolled" in DC. That is my plan, and I would buy enough to replace most of the II exchanges we are doing now. That seems like a win-win for us as retired and traveling more. We love the Marriott product.

We do love our Sheraton Broadway Plantation for exchanges but don't see how Marriott would ever work with us for converting those to Marriott. I would love to do that. The salespeople at Westin Ka'anapali are "sure" this is going to happen very soon because their paychecks say Marriott on them and there are rumors going around, apparently. We don't own many platinum weeks at Sheraton. We own mostly weeks in the 9-23, 33-43 range of weeks. Those are not going to be worth much in Marriott. I saw what Marriott's Myrtle Beach resort is worth for those weeks, and our resort is not OF. We would not be wise to enroll those weeks. I would enroll the others, if they offered decent points for them.

nzvlnr

Reaction score
Was it really 1000 points? It sounds like they had you buying the number of points you already had access to and would be selling back PLUS 1000 points. Totally different ballgame IMO.
Your right , we were talking about that this morning and I said it doesnt make sense with the offer for 1k points for 15k and a property? At that point we were mentally on our way out, mentally. The sheets they presented the offers on the printing was tiny. We took a picture of one of them...but its over.
The last time we did this the end result, we bought the points fro corporate who could sell us the denomination we needed to reach exc level.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)

Last month we stayed in a full service Marriott and my husband is Titanium. At first they gave us a food voucher for $10. I said no way. Since the lounge was closed I said we were entitled to breakfast for 2 in the restaurant. They then gave us 2 breakfast vouchers. We had stayed there before and were looking forward to breakfast. Wow have things changed COVID. Very few selections at the ”buffet” and most were cold. Pancakes were like cardboard. Packaged muffins. No made to order omelets. No table service. If I were the ”chef” I’d be embarrassed.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last month we stayed in a full service Marriott and my husband is Titanium. At first they gave us a food voucher for $10. I said no way. Since the lounge was closed I said we were entitled to breakfast for 2 in the restaurant. They then gave us 2 breakfast vouchers. We had stayed there before and were looking forward to breakfast. Wow have things changed COVID. Very few selections at the ”buffet” and most were cold. Pancakes were like cardboard. Packaged muffins. No made to order omelets. No table service. If I were the ”chef” I’d be embarrassed.

Wow, where was that?

In the past month, I've stayed at a Springhill, Fairfield, and, Townplace and all of them served hot breakfasts. Likely not the same quality hotel you are speaking of, but, didn't see any issue at those. 3 different states. It was business as usual.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some places are still in Covid lock down mode. We've been to multiples places lately, some with good breakfast, some with less than you describe. One FF had packaged muffins, coffee and essentially nothing else. One Marriott hotel had just opened their restaurant back up the day we arrived and while the options were limited (buffet only), what they had was hot and probably the best meal I've ever had for breakfast in a restaurant even counting those that were not buffet type. I know places are struggling with all the issues currently so I try to be understanding.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
How did you save a " pretty penny" ? Because they bought your other property?
That's correct. It reduced our out of pocket costs by, I think, about $19,000.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Cedar City, UT and it was by far the saddest breakfast offering I have ever seen. You could have a package of cold (off brand) pop tarts OR a great value brand nutrigrain bar. Not both, one or the other. And a banana or an apple, again not both. Along with a 6oz bottle of water. That was it. And they had it all behind the counter so they could make sure you didn’t take anything extra- and they would not give you anything extra either.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Cedar City, UT and it was by far the saddest breakfast offering I have ever seen. You could have a package of cold (off brand) pop tarts OR a great value brand nutrigrain bar. Not both, one or the other. And a banana or an apple, again not both. Along with a 6oz bottle of water. That was it. And they had it all behind the counter so they could make sure you didn’t take anything extra- and they would not give you anything extra either.
I think some of the cheap operators are using Covid as an excuse to save on expenses wherever they feel they can get away with it, and will milk it as long as they can get away with it.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That shouldn't have happened at a full-service property. The last 2 stays we had (NC and CA), there was no buffet, due to COVID restrictions. You ordered off the restaurant menu 'to go' at the register/entrance. So, anything on the menu was available.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I agree with some other posters about being understanding due to COVID and all, but Marriott would have to do better than that (even if it was a licensed location and not corporate owned).

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been staying at the Embassy Suites Georgetown in D.C. which has a very nice breakfast. Omelet bar and other hot foods that you have placed on your plate by the servers, but pretty much like pre-COVID. Have not been to a full-service Marriott in a while, but I have a stay coming up this fall. Hopefully full return to normal service. That property has a lounge.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think some of the cheap operators are using Covid as an excuse to save on expenses wherever they feel they can get away with it, and will milk it as long as they can get away with it.

Fair point. That's why you have to know what benefits your Bonvoy level comes with, as well as the T&Cs. I have seldom had a bad experience once the property understands that you understand the Bonvoy program and know exactly what should be happening. Be polite, be firm, and usually it has worked out for me as it should ... but not every time.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been staying at the Embassy Suites Georgetown in D.C. which has a very nice breakfast. Omelet bar and other hot foods that you have placed on your plate by the servers, but pretty much like pre-COVID. Have not been to a full-service Marriott in a while, but I have a stay coming up this fall. Hopefully full return to normal service. That property has a lounge.

I agree. In times and circumstances where I have been unable to stay at a full-service Marriott (usually work-related), I will look for an Embassy Suites if Hilton properties are what's available. They have delivered a consistently good breakfast experience regardless of location.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Totally agree. Some of these operators will milk the savings as long as humanly possible.

I stayed at 3 different Marriott brands in New Mexico in June. 2 of the 3 had their usual full breakfast offerings including hot food and had their pools fully operational.

The 3rd- had nothing but a brown bag breakfast with no options at all, and the pool was completely drained and locked off with a sign that by order of the New Mexico Health Department it could not be opened due to Covid-19.

Funny how the other hotels in the same darn state were exempt from that state health department order and had operational pools.

The thing that was particularly maddening was that on their website or the app there was no mention at all that the pool was closed- they even had the open hours listed as normal, even though it didn’t look like it had been open for months. Apparently having to update the website with that info was too taxing for them.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Some places are still in Covid lock down mode. We've been to multiples places lately, some with good breakfast, some with less than you describe. One FF had packaged muffins, coffee and essentially nothing else. One Marriott hotel had just opened their restaurant back up the day we arrived and while the options were limited (buffet only), what they had was hot and probably the best meal I've ever had for breakfast in a restaurant even counting those that were not buffet type. I know places are struggling with all the issues currently so I try to be understanding.
Stayed at 3 different Marriotts in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio last month. None of the CL were open. All I was offered in lieu of no breakfast offerings was 750 or 1000 MRP per night. I would have rather had the free breakfast for two. In California we were staying at Residence Inn and breakfast was abbreviated.

I can not believe the full service Marriott hotels were stull using covid as an excuse to not provide benefits.

On another note, I was walked 3 hours before check in at a Westin. Claimed no water was available in my room. Moved us to Marriott across street. I called customer service the next morning. Told rep that Westin was supposed to pay for one night for walking a Titanium member. I got some push back on this. I was told that since I used award certificates, I did not qualify for the guarantee. At this point I asked to speak with supervisor. To my astonishment the supervisor told me the same thing. I pulled up the T&C (when I was initially told my certificate did not qualify for benefits) and told supervisor otherwise. I had to quote from the T&C that Titanium benefits applied to all bookings. Got agreement on this and received return of first night 50k certificate. After the rep said that was done, I then reminded rep that I would also like my $100 and 90k MRP for being walked. Told me that they would have to send this to another team. A month later and have not seen my $100 and 90k MRP. Though I was assured that I should receive this in another week.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District

Last week I stayed at The District, which is an HGVC location within the ES and the breakfast was great and they seemingly didn’t have any staffing issues. All the staff in the breakfast area were extremely engaging and friendly.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I stayed at The District, which is an HGVC location within the ES and the breakfast was great and they seemingly didn’t have any staffing issues. All the staff in the breakfast area were extremely engaging and friendly.
I might have seen you there. That is where I am staying as well.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can not believe the full service Marriott hotels were stull using covid as an excuse to not provide benefits.
Frank, I'm sorry you had such a time. However, I do think there is some potential truth to the Covid limitation. Remember there are the medical aspects but also the fact that in many places are struggling to have sufficient staff to support even core services. We're seeing restaurants close they dining room, have very limited hours and limit their menu's for this reason. I have a number of friends that are managers, some GM's, at various restaurants locally. One told me recently he's lowered his standards from trying to hire good employees to just finding bodies. [Content deleted.] <--SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Frank, I'm sorry you had such a time. However, I do think there is some potential truth to the Covid limitation. Remember there are the medical aspects but also the fact that in many places are struggling to have sufficient staff to support even core services. We're seeing restaurants close they dining room, have very limited hours and limit their menu's for this reason. I have a number of friends that are managers, some GM's, at various restaurants locally. One told me recently he's lowered his standards from trying to hire good employees to just finding bodies. [Content deleted.] I]
Nothing to apologize for.

Just astonished that in house restaurants are open but was told since CL is closed, so no breakfast(for our most loyal members) and just points. Most full service Marriotts would sub breakfast in restaurant since CL was closed. I know that one of Marriotts(we stayed at) would give MRP when the CL is closed on weekends, although my stay was weekdays. Though I was told the CL is closed due to covid excuse but every venue at this Marriott was open. If you can staff car valets and bell services, I would think having CL open possible. I am thinking more of revenue savings having the CL closed and giving 1000 MRP instead.

I understand most businesses are having a hard time with staffing issues. At one Marriott, Front Desk clerk apologized for having a long wait at check in and no onsite parking left. Valet already told me that garage was full and to look for off site parking. I was told occupancy was close to 100% because of a convention. I believed that as the bar was packed by 3:00pm.

Not really a big deal. But we like to enjoy CL when we do stay at hotels which is just a few nights a year when there are no timeshares. Texas qualifies for having no MVC or HGVC locations.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a few full service breakfast in quite a few Hilton hotel. My favorite was free breakfast at casa Marina Key West, Florida was great. All you have to is wear a disposable plastic glove for self service. In Virginia Beach the HGI has buffet breakfast self service and a breakfast bar you could order to cook to order. The free breakfast was for Hilton honor gold and diamond members. Some Hilton served only by servers to your order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lansdowne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KoOlina, Sabal Palms, Manor Club, Desert Willow, Kaanapali South, Trust Points
Mahalo ; ).....
So , we went to a presentation yesterday and we own two properties and are at Executive level with a point purchase years ago. We were offered presidential level and told this jump up in status would be HUGE in terms of booking ( as we were told with executive level status as well , not so much). The interesting offer was to buy one of our properties (as it was only bought for points 20 + years ago ) at the price we paid then, if we bought another 1k points. They said this was a new program to buy back properties. They said they do not sell timeshares at the resort anymore where the offer was made to purchase back the property. The price was 15k or 18 k for two different deals which included the 1k in points.
Has anyone been offered to have their property/timeshare purchased back from Marriott ?
The offer was made to buy back what we paid a long time ago for the property? No appreciation and only if we spent 10's of thousands of dollars in new point purchase.
I am still thinking a resale purchase of property or pints would be the way to go....or call corporate and purchase from them as resorts cannot offer the same deals as corporate. I know this, as we bought points for the executive level from corporate after a presentation in Hawaii. The difference was the number of points to get us to executive level was just enough to get there, where the resort could only sell certain denomination of points ( EG: Resort could only sell 1500 or more when corporate could sell us 750).
Many years ago Marriott took our Grande Vista in trade as part of a deposit for our KoOlina purchase. It worked out sorta well since we had purchased the GV property pre- construction and were purchasing the KoOlina property before that third tower was built. This was pre-destination club points. Vistana did pretty much the same when we exchanged our Desert Willow property as part of our purchase of our Westin Kaanapali North purchase a few years ago. Last February, Marriott offered to take two of our timeshares off our hands - relieving us of their maintenance fees if we purchased some extra points - their argument was that in the long run we were paying less per point maintenance fees - really thought that was not the best deal - so an emphatic no. Essentially they wanted us to reduce our portfolio to points rather than having weeks.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Many years ago Marriott took our Grande Vista in trade as part of a deposit for our KoOlina purchase. It worked out sorta well since we had purchased the GV property pre- construction and were purchasing the KoOlina property before that third tower was built. This was pre-destination club points. Vistana did pretty much the same when we exchanged our Desert Willow property as part of our purchase of our Westin Kaanapali North purchase a few years ago. Last February, Marriott offered to take two of our timeshares off our hands - relieving us of their maintenance fees if we purchased some extra points - their argument was that in the long run we were paying less per point maintenance fees - really thought that was not the best deal - so an emphatic no. Essentially they wanted us to reduce our portfolio to points rather than having weeks.

I think that is a 'spin' we may see more and more of going forward. Good for you for not falling into it.