• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Preparing to sell Lake Geneva, need to understand HICV nuances

kpbadger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Lake Geneva
We're preparing to list our points from HICV at Lake Geneva for sale (purchased a TUG membership to list here). I understand there are some nuances about this particular resort when it comes to Holiday Inn Club transfers. I just want to make sure I understand all this so I don't give misinformation to anyone.

We have points from Lake Geneva from a purchase back in 2005 when it was still the Marcus Vacation Club. From what I have read, if someone buys a HICV contract resale, that only allows them to book at their own resort, not all HICV resorts. But what I further read, Lake Geneva is one of a small number of resorts for which this is not true, meaning someone could buy these points and still be able to book at any HICV property just like I do. Is this correct? Can someone provide a brief explanation of why this is true?

I have also read words to the effect of "Lake Geneva is one of the resorts that still has residual value upon resale." Is this because of the same "special" consideration with regard to the HICV points, or is there something else at play here?

I admit feeling like a fool for coming here to learn what exactly I bought, 18 years after I bought it, so I am grateful for any advice that you may have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
This is a good resort to own if one is adding more points if already a HICV member
You probably had use of all HICV resorts as well, so just owning this one should get one into the HICV system.

It maintains Marcus points even in resale
Convert to HICV points
it’s a 12.5 HICV to 1 Marcus ratio

Depending on the amount of points would be the value

Fewer of these exist making the value go up.

Many will try to get this, at little to no cost
I have some myself as a example
87,500 contract in HICV points I would ask 3 to 4 grand ( and I’d get it )

What adds to this for value is once someone is done using it
It becomes RE-salable

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The special status within HICV (points transfer on resale) is what provides the value. I have a small contract at Lake Geneva that I bought solely for access to HICV points, I will likely never go there.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the OP was also asking about why Lake Geneva is this rare unicorn within HIVC, in that it does keep its points (and, therefore, some of its value) upon resale. Does anyone know the answer to that?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the OP was also asking about why Lake Geneva is this rare unicorn within HIVC, in that it does keep its points (and, therefore, some of its value) upon resale. Does anyone know the answer to that?

The HICV points system is an overlay. So for most of the legacy resorts the pre-HICV owners owned a deeded week, and when those weeks are re-sold they lose access to the points program and just get their deeded week.

Because the Lake Geneva property was already points they just did a straight conversion to HICV points. So there is really nothing else for resale owners to revert to. I think it's likely that's the reason they didn't try and restrict the points from transferring from that resort.

kpbadger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Lake Geneva
Thank you so much to all who responded here. I now understand what makes the Lake Geneva points different from most others. :)

MichaelT01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Smokey Mountain Resort (Gatlinburg)
HICV Panama City Beach
We're preparing to list our points from HICV at Lake Geneva for sale (purchased a TUG membership to list here). I understand there are some nuances about this particular resort when it comes to Holiday Inn Club transfers. I just want to make sure I understand all this so I don't give misinformation to anyone.

We have points from Lake Geneva from a purchase back in 2005 when it was still the Marcus Vacation Club. From what I have read, if someone buys a HICV contract resale, that only allows them to book at their own resort, not all HICV resorts. But what I further read, Lake Geneva is one of a small number of resorts for which this is not true, meaning someone could buy these points and still be able to book at any HICV property just like I do. Is this correct? Can someone provide a brief explanation of why this is true?

I have also read words to the effect of "Lake Geneva is one of the resorts that still has residual value upon resale." Is this because of the same "special" consideration with regard to the HICV points, or is there something else at play here?

I admit feeling like a fool for coming here to learn what exactly I bought, 18 years after I bought it, so I am grateful for any advice that you may have to offer. Thanks in advance!
Following the thread. We’re in a similar situation!

Last edited by a moderator:

ltdan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased about 112,000 Lake Geneva points last year from a TUG member. I learned a lot in the process. There are only 3 resorts that transfer points, the rest transfer weeks (as mentioned before). Resale points can be used just like existing points however do NOT go towards your preferred status. The running price is in the neighborhood of the estimate given above. The resale process is a bit arduous, but not too painful.

There is a way to get points to convert and to go towards your preferred status, but that involves purchasing at retail prices at a ratio that is discussed in several other posts. Basically, if you buy 100,000 points at retail, then the 100,000 points you own will then be put towards your preferred status. I do not remember if it is actually 1 to 1, but you get the idea.

I am also still looking to buy additional points so I will be looking at the ad.

Dan