• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2021 ] Preferred Check In Experience? What is this? [MERGED]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It was discussed some in this thread. It doesn't seem targeted toward getting people to sign up for an "owner update".

Thanks! Threads merged. <-- SueDonJ

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received this email. At first, I thought it was a really nice perk and my second thought was this is a scam. But then I realized it’s a new way to get people to a sales presentation.

——————

PREFEREED OWNER CHECK-IN AT GRANDE VISTA ORLANDO--IMPORTANT

Dear Marriott Owner,

Your upcoming vacation to Marriott’s Grande Vista just got better. You've been selected to enjoy a Preferred Check-in Experience. This special offer includes:

>
Preferred Check-in Area
This exclusive lounge for Preferred Owners lets you sit back, relax and enjoy an ice cold beverage while you check in.

>
Preferred Experience Planner
As your Preferred Experience Planner, I can help you answer questions about Orlando’s theme parks, book reservations at local hot spots, discover the resort’s amenities, and more.

Your stay is quickly approaching and we are here to assist you with having a seamless vacation experience. We are contacting you at this time to share important details regarding your reservation.

To ensure that we protect your information, we are only confirming these details over the phone. Please contact us at 407-529-2800 as soon as possible.

We will do our best to accommodate your requests, but please note that villa location and readiness are based on availability and are not guaranteed.

I look forward to seeing you at check-in

Ms. Indira Telhu
Your Preferred Experience Planner
Direct:407-529-2990
We had this Jan ‘20 and I was sceptical too but it was fine. No pressure, we didn’t do a presentation. No worries.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received preferred check-in in May at Surf Watch and it was a very pleasant experience. I had a dedicated person checking me in and was offered snacks and a glass of wine. The person was very helpful and made me dinner reservations for later in the week and answered any questions I had regarding the resort and area. There was no sales pitch, although I was traveling with my brother rather than my wife. I'm curious regarding whether this a perk for Chairman or presidential levels. I hope to have similar experiences for future check-ins.

Added: I did not receive an email prior notification regarding the preferred check-in. I only learned about it when I went to check in at the main desk.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the GV it’s a way of making a pitch to you directly to set up a meeting with the sales staff. When you check in at the front desk this doesn’t happen. When we were there in March they wanted us to use the special check in but after waiting for 20 minutes, after driving six hours, I said enough and I went to the front desk and checked in. They still got me to sit with them before I could get out the door though.

All the stuff they chat with you about is fluff. In our two experiences at GV it’s basically to get you to sign up. After the drive from HHI I don’t need a glass of cheap wine and an intolerably long chat with a new best friend. I just want to go to our villa.

Last edited:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I liked the preferred checkin at MGV. They gave us wine, snacks (such as Lays products and cookies), and "gifts" (Marriott masks, a reusable shopping bag). They DO try to book you into a presentation. Last year we said 'no', but this year we agreed. I liked it because they went out of their way to find me a villa in my preferred locations until I got it. For the 2nd week of our two week stay, I went back to the preferred checkin desk and spoke with the same person to again get my preferred villa location. During that visit, she gave me an entire bottle of wine to take.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the preferred checkin at MGV. They gave us wine, snacks (such as Lays products and cookies), and "gifts" (Marriott masks, a reusable shopping bag). They DO try to book you into a presentation. Last year we said 'no', but this year we agreed. I liked it because they went out of their way to find me a villa in my preferred locations until I got it. For the 2nd week of our two week stay, I went back to the preferred checkin desk and spoke with the same person to again get my preferred villa location. During that visit, she gave me an entire bottle of wine to take.
Are you Chairman or Presidential level? I'm curious regarding whether this is a 'new' benefit. I had a similar experience at Surf Watch.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Are you Chairman or Presidential level? I'm curious regarding whether this is a 'new' benefit. I had a similar experience at Surf Watch.
Nope, I am neither. I'm Executive level.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, I am neither. I'm Executive level.
I enjoyed my preferred check-in at Surf Watch but it appears that this is just another way to try to sign people up for the sales pitch. I didn't receive any pressure, but I was traveling with my brother so they probably realized I couldn't do it anyway. I noticed that nobody was at the concierge desk when I checked in, so that might have something to do with it.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
went through this at GV this week. The Lady was pleasant enough. She combined my 2 weeks into a single reservation so we didn’t have to move. This was for my 2 weeks booked through interval.

I was offered the presentation but was low pressure. Offered $250 at first. Because I requested a Sunday showing, there was $50 extra so a total of $300. What got me was they said it was 75 min instead of the normal 90. It was worth our time as we weren’t doing anything that day as it was a recovery day.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think its based on your level at all, just how badly they want you to attend a sales update. I own one resale Harbour Lake week and no points but i was qualified for preferred check-in when we stayed at Manor Club in March.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Recently did the "Preferred Check In" at Marriott Grande Vista. I think this is the second time we've done this at MGV, but first since the new "Owners Lounge" space. Our first I think was when they were piloting this "Preferred Experience".

While nice to be offered a drink and small snack especially after traveling in, the sole purpose was to get us to attend a Sales presentation. Presentation was stated to be 75 mins as an "Owner Update"...primarily around the integrated Abound program. My Preferred representative did email me prior to check-in, took my time of arrival, my room preferences, etc. All MVCI reps in the "Preferred Check In" experience were very friendly, polite and nice.

My primary disappointment is that it took a long time. I just wanted to get checked in quickly, get my room/keys, and unpack...as I had the rest of the family waiting in the car outside. Instead, it took about 30-45+ mins...as I had to check in at the preferred desk, was asked to sit and wait for my check-in representative while being offered a drink. The lounge was packed, no check-in rep available immediately, once talking with on it was so loud it was hard to hear them talk, etc. Also found out my room preferences were far from what was asked.

Overall, disappointing. Next time, I will skip it and go directly to the Front Desk to check-in. Even with a long line, it has to be quicker! I await the day where I MVCI can get to a digital key on my phone prior to arrival, just like many Bonvoy hotels. It's really nice to just walk directly to my room without waiting.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Grande Vista is still using the Preferred Owner Check In? And what makes you a preferred Owner? We check in (owners at GV) in two weeks and have not received any emails except texts from the Spa. Thanks!

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.

When we were younger and newly married college students, we were offered a toaster or a blanket if we deposited our entire $1,000 savings at the local savings and loan. We settled on the blanket because it was cold in northern Utah. Now that I am old, I get offered potato chips, cookies, masks, a shopping bag and Bonvoy points - the blanket was a better deal - it worked and even prevented "The Covid."

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me add to my 2021 comment: I hate the preferred check-in. Had to do it again earlier this year. I'm never, ever, going back to Grande Vista.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Grande Vista is still using the Preferred Owner Check In? And what makes you a preferred Owner? We check in (owners at GV) in two weeks and have not received any emails except texts from the Spa. Thanks!
It’s not just for owners at GV- we own Harbour lake and had the preferred check in (2019).
I was told we were randomly selected. I was also assured it wasn‘t a sales pitch ( they did of course press us to schedule one but really they always do).
We arrived late due to flight delays are were the only customers in the lobby so it didn’t save us anytime, probably took longer and we were exhausted from 12+ hrs of traveling.
I tried to turn this down before we arrived and also said I could just go through the regular check in since it was free but they would not allow it.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you not go back to GV?
Because of the preferred check-in. I hate that I'm forced to sit and listen to a pitch to sign up for one of their sales meetings when all's I want to do is get to the villa. I once tried to go through the regular line and they made me go to the preferred room. I'm tired after a 6-7 hour drive, and I have no intention of buying anything more. No doesn't work until the fifth or sixth time. I'm coming to like Cypress Harbor better anyway and changed my II reservation from GV to CH.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Because of the preferred check-in. I hate that I'm forced to sit and listen to a pitch to sign up for one of their sales meetings when all's I want to do is get to the villa. I once tried to go through the regular line and they made me go to the preferred room. I'm tired after a 6-7 hour drive, and I have no intention of buying anything more. No doesn't work until the fifth or sixth time. I'm coming to like Cypress Harbor better anyway and changed my II reservation from GV to CH.
If I had this problem, I would call the General Manager's office, explain my need, and expect them to accommodate. We own the resorts. The MVC sales function does not run these resorts, they are just a concession like a rental car desk at a hotel.

Incidentally, I've been very impressed by the General Managers I've met. They really care about the guest experience.

Seems strange that MVC would want us to be fed to the sharks before checking in. Sales must be hard these days.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Agree. While the snacks/drink and space are nice, I generally just want to get my room/keys quickly. You cannot easily do this with Preferred Check-in. You have to talk with the receptionist, wait in line for an advisor, and then sit down at their desk to have them review your portfolio, etc, etc. I want the option for an in-and-out with keys in 5 mins or less. A drink to boot would be nice.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Agree. While the snacks/drink and space are nice, I generally just want to get my room/keys quickly. You cannot easily do this with Preferred Check-in. You have to talk with the receptionist, wait in line for an advisor, and then sit down at their desk to have them review your portfolio, etc, etc. I want the option for an in-and-out with keys in 5 mins or less. A drink to boot would be nice.
Agreed. Had this at Aruba Surf Club this past summer and it took me longer than if the front desk would have just handled me. I believe they do this for marks they really want to sit for a sales pitch, but who decline before arriving at the resort….one more chance to get you to say yes to hearing the pitch. I said no, since we had the kids, spouses, grandchild with us.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We'll be checking into Grande Vista next week. Usually I get an email inviting me to Preferred Check-in but I didn't get it this year. Does anyone know if they still do this? I wonder if I got blacklisted because last year I got the hard sell to sign up for an Owners talk, which I didn't want. I kept saying no, and the advisor said I could do one remotely from my laptop after I got home so I said OK. She called my cell phone to schedule it as we were dragging our luggage up to our room and I barked "I can't talk now", hung up, and I never called her back. o_O

Anyway, because of the length of time it took I vowed I wouldn't do this again, but so far I haven't been invited to so I was curious.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'll answer my own question now that I've gotten an email about it, in case anyone else was wondering... The email had a contact from Preferred Check-in for me to call. Unfortunately, every time I call him I get his voice mail and he hasn't returned my call. I'm guessing maybe they don't work on Tuesdays (or Wednesdays) since those aren't weeks check-in days?

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with the “preferred check in” experience?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I have. I am at Grande Vista now. Last week I got an email from one of the concierges inviting me to do preferred check-in. We decided to skip this "benefit to ownership" because it ends up taking too long to check in and the real purpose is to get us to sign up for a presentation. The email said I needed to contact them in order to sign up for it so I ignored the email. Then I started getting phone calls, which I again ignored.

When we went to check in, someone inside the door with a clipboard asked for my name. I gave it and walked right up to an associate at the regular check in desk. He called to me and said I was to get preferred check in (even though I didn't opt for it). I said "That's ok. This is faster". I started to check in with the associate at the main desk, giving her my ID and credit card, when the concierge that sent me the original email (and made the phone calls) came out and got me and MADE me go into the preferred check in desk. I did take a glass of wine for my trouble ;) and of course she started to pitch signing me up for an Owners Update. We both told her we weren't interested... though she tried a little harder before accepting my "I'll think about it" just so we could get our room keys and leave.