• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pre-Travel COVID Testing Recommendations

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Thanks 1Kflyerguy. I just looked it up on the Alaska Airlines site, (the airline we're flying), and found this page:

They have a section pointing to Carbon Health, which has a site at SJC, and they claim a 2 hour turnaround (rapid testing). I called their number at SJC, and the recording claims the same. Hmmm. It would make me really nervous to arrive at the airport (probably 3 hrs early) and not have the requirements met, but it may be my best option. I just now realized that, since we're travelling July 7, then 72 hrs before is Sunday July 4. I'm not even sure if sites like CVS will be open on that day. Hmmm. Maybe, as the time approaches, we should try to get an appt on 7/4 at CVS. If we get the appt and the results come back in time, fine. Otherwise, Carbon Health could be our backup.

Sound right?

Yea, that's tough but your plan sounds pretty good to me. I like having stuff nailed down in advance..

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks 1Kflyerguy. I just looked it up on the Alaska Airlines site, (the airline we're flying), and found this page:

They have a section pointing to Carbon Health, which has a site at SJC, and they claim a 2 hour turnaround (rapid testing). I called their number at SJC, and the recording claims the same. Hmmm. It would make me really nervous to arrive at the airport (probably 3 hrs early) and not have the requirements met, but it may be my best option. I just now realized that, since we're travelling July 7, then 72 hrs before is Sunday July 4. I'm not even sure if sites like CVS will be open on that day. Hmmm. Maybe, as the time approaches, we should try to get an appt on 7/4 at CVS. If we get the appt and the results come back in time, fine. Otherwise, Carbon Health could be our backup.

Sound right?

ARRGH! Hawaii's announcement that, as of July 8, we vaccinated people don't need testing comes a day too late for us! We travel July 7.

To make matters worse, that would mean testing on July 4, for a 72 hour turnaround test. But neither Walgreens or CVS administer tests on the 4th of July! There are no other trusted testing sites anywhere nearby.

I just signed us up for Carbon Health at SJC for 9am on the day of our flight. Our flight leaves at 12:20 pm, so in theory this should work (Carbon does say 2 hr turnaround). That makes me very nervous, to show up at the airport on the day of our flight with no test yet. But it appears that's all I can do.

I'm mad at myself and the system. I made my reservation at HGVC Grand Waikikian about 6-9 months ago. I figured a Wed-Wed trip would likely have the lowest airfares. Booked the flight 10 weeks ago, and it was indeed the lowest fare day. But it NEVER occurred to me that the state of Hawaii would mess us up so bad; nor that the 72 hours meant testing on a major holiday that falls on a Sunday.

ARRGH!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
ARRGH! Hawaii's announcement that, as of July 8, we vaccinated people don't need testing comes a day too late for us! We travel July 7.

To make matters worse, that would mean testing on July 4, for a 72 hour turnaround test. But neither Walgreens or CVS administer tests on the 4th of July! There are no other trusted testing sites anywhere nearby.

I just signed us up for Carbon Health at SJC for 9am on the day of our flight. Our flight leaves at 12:20 pm, so in theory this should work (Carbon does say 2 hr turnaround). That makes me very nervous, to show up at the airport on the day of our flight with no test yet. But it appears that's all I can do.

I'm mad at myself and the system. I made my reservation at HGVC Grand Waikikian about 6-9 months ago. I figured a Wed-Wed trip would likely have the lowest airfares. Booked the flight 10 weeks ago, and it was indeed the lowest fare day. But it NEVER occurred to me that the state of Hawaii would mess us up so bad; nor that the 72 hours meant testing on a major holiday that falls on a Sunday.

ARRGH!
You may still have time to use Vault. You'd have to do the math to see the impact of the July 4 weekend/holiday.

jackball

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
We did the Walgreens ID Now and had results back literally within a couple of hours.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Vault says on their web site that nothing will go out on July 4th or 5th. There is little to no chance that something going out on the 6th will return a result by the 7th.

Walgreens does not do ID Now anywhere in California.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We went through the Safe Travel screening in Honolulu yesterday. It was empty! No line. Landed at 11:00, about 30 min earlier than scheduled and we were almost first out of the plane. Next trip back it will be with the “I’m vaccinated” exemption so it’ll be interest it see if it’s any different. I expect it will work much the same except that the QR code will come based on vaccination instead of a test upload.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

ARRGH!

Could you test earlier in San Jose, either before your flight or a day earlier? I know that's a haul from Monterey... If they don't have anything available on their website, but might try calling or emailing the test center. I was able to adjust one of my tests that way...

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
FWIW, we were tested by City Health at the Oakland Airport in California. It was at an outdoor parking lot, and we swabbed ourselves in the car. The whole process went smoothly. They didn't strictly check appointment times - we were 30 minutes early. Got results via test < 24 hours later. Cost was $20/person + insurance. Appointment slots are filing up fast - I think this is one of the few options in the Bay Area that didn't cost > $100. San Jose was full when I checked, so we ended up driving to Oakland - plan ahead if you plan to use this company in the Bay Area.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, we took the Walgreens free test this morning, since they weren't open on the 4th. They said they should have results in 24-48 hours, so we'll see. We leave in 48 hours.

In addition, we have appointments for Carbon Health at SJC for their 2 hr Rapid PCR. 9am appts, 12:20pm flight. That's our backup if Walgreens doesn't come through. My prediction - Walgreens will come through after we've already taken the rapid test at Carbon.

Wish us luck.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sitting at SJC now, with our wrist bands. Yay! Got here 5 hours pre-flight, to deal with this nonsense. Status --

Walgreens still hasn't sent my DW her result. Got mine - invalid sample. Came in via email just as Carbon nurse was about to stick a stick up my nose.

Carbon at SJC was great. Except - at the last minute, their web site changed their status to a 3 hour turnaround, rather than 2. I called to complain that we did our reservation with the 2 hour turnaround, which I had called twice to verify. They simply said to come in early and they'd fit us in as possible. In fact, we ended up being 2nd in line. And when I pointed out that our plane leaves at noon, they said they'd expedite the test. Which they did, in spades! Got the result back in an hour, as we were sitting at Denny's having breakfast. Used Denny's wifi (slow!!) to upload to Hawaii Safe Travels.

All's well that ends well. Proof will be when we go through the lines in Honolulu.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sitting at SJC now, with our wrist bands. Yay! Got here 5 hours pre-flight, to deal with this nonsense. Status --

Walgreens still hasn't sent my DW her result. Got mine - invalid sample. Came in via email just as Carbon nurse was about to stick a stick up my nose.

Carbon at SJC was great. Except - at the last minute, their web site changed their status to a 3 hour turnaround, rather than 2. I called to complain that we did our reservation with the 2 hour turnaround, which I had called twice to verify. They simply said to come in early and they'd fit us in as possible. In fact, we ended up being 2nd in line. And when I pointed out that our plane leaves at noon, they said they'd expedite the test. Which they did, in spades! Got the result back in an hour, as we were sitting at Denny's having breakfast. Used Denny's wifi (slow!!) to upload to Hawaii Safe Travels.

All's well that ends well. Proof will be when we go through the lines in Honolulu.

And all this because today is July 7th and not July 8th! :(

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And all this because today is July 7th and not July 8th! :(

True. But there may have been some advantage to that. We got through the airport, taxi (Charleys) and checkin at Grand Waikikian with few lines. Suddenly, on Thurs July 8, it seemed like the entire world descended on Hawaii/Waikiki. I think everyone keyed in on that July 8 date.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And oh, BTW, while Walgreens told me that my sample was defective, my wife never did get any results of any sort from Walgreens. Glad we didn't depend on them.