• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pre-Travel COVID Testing Recommendations

LA_Transplant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
My wife and I will be traveling to Maui at the end of May. For those of you who have been to Maui recently, can you share your experience or recommendations regarding pre-travel COVID testing? Since we live in Los Angeles and are flying Hawaiian Airlines, we planning on scheduling an appointment with Worksite Labs down by LAX. I am just wondering if their might be a more convenient option that will guarantee our results back in a timely fashion. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walgreens ID NOW test results are back in less than 24 hours and are accepted by Hawaii. Many Walgreens don't charge for the tests.

Just checked and it doesn't look like the test is offered by Walgreens in the LA area.

I arrived in Maui on April 15 and am departing now

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
My wife and I will be traveling to Maui at the end of May. For those of you who have been to Maui recently, can you share your experience or recommendations regarding pre-travel COVID testing? Since we live in Los Angeles and are flying Hawaiian Airlines, we planning on scheduling an appointment with Worksite Labs down by LAX. I am just wondering if their might be a more convenient option that will guarantee our results back in a timely fashion. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.
We did the testing across from Terminal 6 at LAX last month. Was really quite simple. You pay when you make your reservation ($125). Park in the parking structure right across from Terminal 6. Walk over, give your name, test, leave. We both had results in < 24 hrs. Uploaded the PDF to Safe Travels and we were done.

Before that we used a local urgent care in Agoura Hills. Had results in about 15 minutes (waited around for the results). More expensive though - $165 I believe.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gravitar,
Did you take a Covid test to leave Maui or will you have to take a Covid-19 test when you arrived in LA ?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gravitar,
Did you take a Covid test to leave Maui or will you have to take a Covid-19 test when you arrived in LA ?
No test is required to leave for the mainland or for transit to HNL. You would need a test to travel to any other island. Some of that is changing with vaccine exemptions for intra island travel. That starts with Hawaii residents shortly and others later this summer.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Traveling DEN-OGG Saturday. Did Walgreens rapid ID Now NAAT test today. No cost and I got my results in 90 minutes. This is hard to beat! Sign up in evenings 4 days in advance for best availability. Look for the “red dot” locations for testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did our Walgreen's ID now yesterday at 12:30, DH got his in 5 hours, 22 hours later I am still waiting

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Did our Walgreen's ID now yesterday at 12:30, DH got his in 5 hours, 22 hours later I am still waiting

Try calling PWNHealth who sends the results. It’s possible your email got lost. I have called them on the same issue and they were helpful. And I reached somebody right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Traveling DEN-OGG Saturday. Did Walgreens rapid ID Now NAAT test today. No cost and I got my results in 90 minutes. This is hard to beat! Sign up in evenings 4 days in advance for best availability. Look for the “red dot” locations for testing.

If only we could get the red dot test in California. I asked Walgreens on FB why they don't offer it and the answer was, "we don't offer it.":doh:

We're thinking of getting two tests; the free Walgreens "slow boat to China" test at 72 hours and then have a backup at Clarity Labs at LAX ($120pp) in case the Walgreens results don't come back by the day before. But at this point I'm leaning toward keeping it simple and just going straight to Clarity. But now I've heard that the Worksite Labs location near LBG (Long Beach) is only $20pp and they don't care what airline you're flying or what airport you're departing from. Can you tell that I tend to overthink things?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
If only we could get the red dot test in California. I asked Walgreens on FB why they don't offer it and the answer was, "we don't offer it.":doh:

We're thinking of getting two tests; the free Walgreens "slow boat to China" test at 72 hours and then have a backup at Clarity Labs at LAX ($120pp) in case the Walgreens results don't come back by the day before. But at this point I'm leaning toward keeping it simple and just going straight to Clarity. But now I've heard that the Worksite Labs location near LBG (Long Beach) is only $20pp and they don't care what airline you're flying or what airport you're departing from. Can you tell that I tend to overthink things?
Is it the same 36 hr guarantee at Long Beach worksite labs? We are flying out of Long Beach in June

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did our tests at 4 different Walgreens, 3 of us had results in under 2 hours, mine took 20 hours.

Walgreens had screwed up on documenting my test, so had to go back for a second test yesterday. Good to go, now, thank goodness

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it the same 36 hr guarantee at Long Beach worksite labs? We are flying out of Long Beach in June

I don't know. Thanks to a FB group, I also discovered City Health, which has an LGB location, and offers 5- hour turnaround (the people in the group reported getting results in as soon as 30 minutes). So we're trying that on Monday, still have Clarity as the backup on Wednesday (flight is Thursday).

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I don't know. Thanks to a FB group, I also discovered City Health, which has an LGB location, and offers 5- hour turnaround (the people in the group reported getting results in as soon as 30 minutes). So we're trying that on Monday, still have Clarity as the backup on Wednesday (flight is Thursday).
Thank you! I will check them out!

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walgreens ID NOW test results are back in less than 24 hours and are accepted by Hawaii. Many Walgreens don't charge for the tests.

Just checked and it doesn't look like the test is offered by Walgreens in the LA area.

Yep, no ID NOW anywhere in California. What gives, Walgreens?

We go to Oahu in mid-July. It looks like our choices are Walgreens PCR Testing, which is free but "Test results cannot be guaranteed in time for travel." Or CVS, which is "typically 1-2 days", and costs $139 per person. Don't mind the expense, though free is better ;), but CVS is also not guaranteed.

Is there any immediate testing at SJC (San Jose)? Otherwise, what's everyone's advice?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yep, no ID NOW anywhere in California. What gives, Walgreens?

We go to Oahu in mid-July. It looks like our choices are Walgreens PCR Testing, which is free but "Test results cannot be guaranteed in time for travel." Or CVS, which is "typically 1-2 days", and costs $139 per person. Don't mind the expense, though free is better ;), but CVS is also not guaranteed.

Is there any immediate testing at SJC (San Jose)? Otherwise, what's everyone's advice?

I live in San Jose, as far as i know there are not any same day tests offered at SJC.

We went to Maui in Feb and flew Hawaiian out of SJC.. We used Worksite Labs, which is the HA partner in San Jose. They promised results in time for the flight, and that worked well.

Leave for the Big Island on United out of SFO tomorrow. United offered same day tests at SFO, but our flight leaves too early for those. We went with CityHealth, they have a number of travel testing locations including SJC. Standard results are 48 hours, which is what we used. They billed our health insurance for the test, and we paid $20 per person for the Hawaii documents prep. I think the 24 hour testing is around $130 per person. We actually got our results in 24 hours even though we didn't pay for the expedited fee.

Not sure how far south you are in Monterey County, Making an extra trip to SJC for testing could work, but it obviously extra driving and time.

Otherwise, i would go with CVS and hope they come in on time. In general i have found test results to come back pretty quick these days. My wife works in healthcare, and both of us were getting tested by the county pretty regularly until we finalized our vaccinations. Even Santa Clara country has been delivering the test results in 24 hour or so for last couple of months.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll give a report on our CityHealth experience today. I made our appointments a couple of weeks ago. We drove to Long Beach Airport, went in the airport entrance and followed the road around to the testing site (you can see if from Lakewood Blvd). We joined the line of cars, about 10 in front of us. Three women were working the intake, going to every third car to collect IDs and health insurance information. Then we drove up to a nurse practitioner, who asked the usual exposure questions and took our vaccination information. Then we pulled up to the actual tester, who gave us the sealed swabs, told us how to perform the test (go a little ways into each nostril and swirl for 10 seconds each), took them back and that was it. Results (negative) came in about two hours later, with the date AND TIME OF COLLECTION noted. The time was incorrect, but it was two hours later, not earlier, which would have put us outside the 72 hours. They were in .pdf format, which makes uploading a lot easier. Accepted by the state. Almost there...

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in San Jose, as far as i know there are not any same day tests offered at SJC.

We went to Maui in Feb and flew Hawaiian out of SJC.. We used Worksite Labs, which is the HA partner in San Jose. They promised results in time for the flight, and that worked well.

Leave for the Big Island on United out of SFO tomorrow. United offered same day tests at SFO, but our flight leaves too early for those. We went with CityHealth, they have a number of travel testing locations including SJC. Standard results are 48 hours, which is what we used. They billed our health insurance for the test, and we paid $20 per person for the Hawaii documents prep. I think the 24 hour testing is around $130 per person. We actually got our results in 24 hours even though we didn't pay for the expedited fee.

Not sure how far south you are in Monterey County, Making an extra trip to SJC for testing could work, but it obviously extra driving and time.

Otherwise, i would go with CVS and hope they come in on time. In general i have found test results to come back pretty quick these days. My wife works in healthcare, and both of us were getting tested by the county pretty regularly until we finalized our vaccinations. Even Santa Clara country has been delivering the test results in 24 hour or so for last couple of months.

Weirdly, the rapid test is the same price as the regular test, $20. I'm assuming that they will bill Medicare for the cost of the test itself.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Weirdly, the rapid test is the same price as the regular test, $20. I'm assuming that they will bill Medicare for the cost of the test itself.

I know when I registered with City Health they had list of which Insurance companies will pay for travel tests and which ones will not.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks 1Kflyerguy. I just looked it up on the Alaska Airlines site, (the airline we're flying), and found this page:

They have a section pointing to Carbon Health, which has a site at SJC, and they claim a 2 hour turnaround (rapid testing). I called their number at SJC, and the recording claims the same. Hmmm. It would make me really nervous to arrive at the airport (probably 3 hrs early) and not have the requirements met, but it may be my best option. I just now realized that, since we're travelling July 7, then 72 hrs before is Sunday July 4. I'm not even sure if sites like CVS will be open on that day. Hmmm. Maybe, as the time approaches, we should try to get an appt on 7/4 at CVS. If we get the appt and the results come back in time, fine. Otherwise, Carbon Health could be our backup.

Sound right?

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD
Flying to Lihue from Kahului May 15. Can anyone recommend a reliable C-19 pre-travel location near the WKORV? Mahalo

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Flying to Lihue from Kahului May 15. Can anyone recommend a reliable C-19 pre-travel location near the WKORV? Mahalo

Call Long's Drugs in the Cannery Mall. They are a Trusted Partner. 808-667-4390

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD
Thanks, however we ended up using Clinical Labs(Trusted Partner) 845 Wainee St, next to Lahaina Foodland and they did a great job. We walked in and they took care of us, $150 per person, but what can you do.