• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

PowerPoint presentation compatibility

coyote

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am doing a presentation in England this September. I will need to show a PowerPoint presentation and a DVD. Can I assume that I can use my laptop (bought in Canada) and then plug it into a converter of some kind. Will my my laptop be compatible to their LCD (data) machine so I do not have to carry one with me. Does anyone know what my options are?:shrug:
Charlotte

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, laptop power cords come in two parts: the section that plugs into the computer with a converter at the end, and a second section which plugs into the converter and the power source. You should be able to replace the second section with one that will work in England. Most laptops are compatible with either voltage; however, you may want to double check the specs on manufacturer's website to be certain.

I'm not sure what you mean by "LCD (data) machine" so can't help on that.

coyote

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drebraxh

Thanks for this information. I never thought of just replacing the power cord section. That seems simple enough. The LCD (data) machine or whatever it is called is what (here) I plug my laptop into so the DVD or PowerPoint is projected onto a big screen.

Charlotte

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charlotte, I have a hunch if you look at the transformer (the rectangular block) in the power cord, in the very fine print, it'll say something like input 110-240v- output 13vdc. If so all you'll need is an adapter to plug it in anywhere.
The digital projector you find in Europe should work fine. They all come from China and environs.

My laptops, cell phone, camera chargers, battery rechargers all accept any old worldwide voltage you can feed 'em. I don't even carry the voltage converter I've had for years anymore, just the plug adapters.

We DID buy a 220v travel curling iron for DW, only because she didn't care for the design of the multi-voltage ones we found.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just back from Europe where we used all our gadgets in UK and Italy. All worked fine but if you are worried, just check the "brick" to make sure it is dual voltage. I would be really surprised if it does not say 110-120 and 220-240. As Passepartout says, all you really need is an plug adapter. I have a small bag with 4 or 5 I carry on trips. I have seen several sites (can't remember the URL's) that shows what the outlet looks like all over the world so just Google to see what you need.

Cheers

coyote

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to each of you for your responses. I am approaching this presentation in a much more relaxed way now

Charlotte