• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possibly buying Capital Vacations Club Gold Membership - Advice needed

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our neighbors are looking to sell their Capital Vacations Club Gold Membership to us.
  • They said it is fully paid off
  • They would pay the $370 transfer fee
  • We would pay them $15,000 for the membership
  • We would take over the annual membership fee of $2,200.
  • Their deeded location is at Stormy Point Village in Branson, MO.
We are young newlyweds and aren't sure if this a good deal or not as we know nothing about the timeshare business.
Some of the locations through Capital are not places I would want to go as they seem a bit run down, but the Branson one and some of them on there (I'd say 5-6 locations) look nice from the photos.
Thank you for any help and advice!!
Can you name the timeshare resorts that are under the umbrella of Capital Vacations Club Gold Membership?

Please saved your money, study the different timeshare resorts vacation clubs,, and learned more about timeshare ownership thru this website.

TUG, offer some outstanding information under the TUG Banner causes "Help&Advice."

Please read it before you make a timeshare purchase.
Good luck and enjoy your marriage.

DRIless

Reaction score
They are following the DRI model by having a points system by buying deeded weeks & then re-selling points to owners.
Really? Explain, please.

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? Explain, please.
They tell current owners they have to turn in their deeded weeks for Capital Vacation points for $12-25k or will lose access to their resort. The maintenance fees are double the current maintenance fees but they scare you that your current rate will triple or quadruple, so doubling isn’t as bad. They then announced a new program called Cap-Ex that allows trading, etc. This is the DRI model I’m aware of but I’m sure someone did it before DRI.

You no longer own a deeded property, your maintenance fees have gone way up, your points aren’t able to get an entire week during prime vacation time as you previously could. At the beginning they took away all of the resort activities but they have brought some of them back because of the owner pushback.

Luckily for us we didn’t fall for the lies. while our options & benefits have been diminished since Capital bought Summer Winds, we have learned to maximize our ownership thanks to the contributors here @ Tug!

feliciatd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised you are even considering their made-up math. Maybe I don't understand T/S.

Others have offered excellent explanations and analogies. I'm really upset that my own beloved T/S continues to have off-site locations to lure in prospective buyers. It's shocking how busy the parking lot is - full of prospects listening to these pitches. My T/S is oversold. There are the deeded owners, and now on top of that, there is this "developer" selling a vacation club promising something that sounds too good to be true. There's not the inventory they are claiming.

On your original post, here's what I got: You have something of value which you use and enjoy. You listened to a pitch that will cost you $16K - (that would be a mighty nice cruise or extended vacation by the way.) You already know that it's difficult getting what you want through the largest, most well known, established exchange company...but this company which you can't find much info on apparently has all the inventory you would ever want available?
Really, we surprised ourselves that we seriously considered this. As veteran T/S owners, we know better, yet still got lured in. I appreciate your thoughts though, as we are also tired of constantly being told our ownership just isn't worth that much anymore and we need to keep buying something else to increase our chances of getting what we want. If we can never get anything at some point, it will be time to try to dump it. Yes, we will use our money to buy other nice vacations ourselves.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just went to a presentation today (and said no), but some of the "timeshare math" and fuzzy details sounded convincing enough that I had to research it more. This thread was probably the most useful of the ones I found.

I have a feeling (at least) half of the following information is inaccurate, but here are some of the things they told me:

1) They have six tiers of resorts (35k, 75k, 100k, 150k, 200k, and 250k points each), resorts never change tiers, required points never change, and the unit size doesn't matter.
2) The MFs appear to be about 0.735/point right now.
3) Exchange fees are $99-129.
4) You can bank points for up to 5 years.
5) They have an "Aspire" program where you can bring in weeks you own and get points. My 3BR Branson weeks would get 262,500 points. You need 1 developer point for every 2 Aspire points, so, for instance, I could do a Branson week for 262,500 points and 131,250 developer points, for 393,750 total points/year and $964.69 MFs.
6) They said I could "rent back" up to half of my points for "about 2 cents per point" to cover my MFs.
7) Purchase price appeared to be about $0.20/point, plus a discount of about 45-55% depending on how many points you bought.

What was appealing was the price point of those 35k reservations. At 0.735 cents per point, that's about $250 plus the exchange fee. What WASN'T clear was just how many places you could find 35k reservations, what resorts they were at, how availability was, whether anything would change, etc.

They went MASSIVELY over the 90-120 minute time they initially promised and spent very little of that time actually giving details. I didn't have enough information to make a decision, so the decision was obviously no.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just went to a presentation today (and said no), but some of the "timeshare math" and fuzzy details sounded convincing enough that I had to research it more. This thread was probably the most useful of the ones I found.

I have a feeling (at least) half of the following information is inaccurate, but here are some of the things they told me:

1) They have six tiers of resorts (35k, 75k, 100k, 150k, 200k, and 250k points each), resorts never change tiers, required points never change, and the unit size doesn't matter.
2) The MFs appear to be about 0.735/point right now.
3) Exchange fees are $99-129.
4) You can bank points for up to 5 years.
5) They have an "Aspire" program where you can bring in weeks you own and get points. My 3BR Branson weeks would get 262,500 points. You need 1 developer point for every 2 Aspire points, so, for instance, I could do a Branson week for 262,500 points and 131,250 developer points, for 393,750 total points/year and $964.69 MFs.
6) They said I could "rent back" up to half of my points for "about 2 cents per point" to cover my MFs.
7) Purchase price appeared to be about $0.20/point, plus a discount of about 45-55% depending on how many points you bought.

What was appealing was the price point of those 35k reservations. At 0.735 cents per point, that's about $250 plus the exchange fee. What WASN'T clear was just how many places you could find 35k reservations, what resorts they were at, how availability was, whether anything would change, etc.

They went MASSIVELY over the 90-120 minute time they initially promised and spent very little of that time actually giving details. I didn't have enough information to make a decision, so the decision was obviously no.
Welcome back Michael. I have missed your posts from this website.

alexinorlando

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a Capital Resorts points chart or members guide? I have not. I have searched for one but I can’t find one anywhere. If anyone owns capital, can you please post a link for the membership guide or points chart?