• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible to remove ourselves from a Bluegreen deed owned by in-laws?

tatertots123

Reaction score
My in-laws have Bluegreen. Years back, they had all of their young adult kids sign papers and while they sort of explained what they were, mostly the kids all thought it just meant they got to stay at the hotels for free. Now that everyone is older, they realize what they actually signed and no one wants any part of it. Since my in-laws are keeping their names on it, is it possible for all of us to remove ourselves and it go back to just being my in-laws?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not without causing a family crisis. It would take a quit claim and re-titling the deed with the remaining owners' names.
They probably thought they were doing everyone a favor but didn't think through they were saddling the heirs with expenses after they passed on.

You might say that it is a choice for the heirs to accept a bequest if they want it, but they are free to not accept it if the timeshare doesn't fit their lifestyles after the original buyer moves on.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Probably not without causing a family crisis. It would take a quit claim and re-titling the deed with the remaining owners' names.
They probably thought they were doing everyone a favor but didn't think through they were saddling the heirs with expenses after they passed on.

You might say that it is a choice for the heirs to accept a bequest if they want it, but they are free to not accept it if the timeshare doesn't fit their lifestyles after the original buyer moves on.
They aren't heirs, they are owners as they are on the ownership.
So even when parents are deceased, the other people on the deed are still owners.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My in-laws have Bluegreen. Years back, they had all of their young adult kids sign papers and while they sort of explained what they were, mostly the kids all thought it just meant they got to stay at the hotels for free. Now that everyone is older, they realize what they actually signed and no one wants any part of it. Since my in-laws are keeping their names on it, is it possible for all of us to remove ourselves and it go back to just being my in-laws?
Suggest you contact Kris Koski kris@sterlingtitleco.com at http://sterlingtitleco.com/vacation-ownership-services/ - this company handles most closings for Bluegreen.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
As long as it is paid off it shouldn't be a problem. Is it a points unit or a deeded non points week at a resort bluegreen manages?
Bluegreen does charge $500. Everyone who is on the deed would have to sign off on the change so everyone should get together and see if anyone wants to stay on it other than your in laws and then remove everyone all at once.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As long as it is paid off it shouldn't be a problem. Is it a points unit or a deeded non points week at a resort bluegreen manages?
Bluegreen does charge $500. Everyone who is on the deed would have to sign off on the change so everyone should get together and see if anyone wants to stay on it other than your in laws and then remove everyone all at once.
Agree.
the other possibility is that the group of family say 6-8 people "sell" for a dollar to just the parents. Since it is a family transfer, all benefits will stay intact.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree.
the other possibility is that the group of family say 6-8 people "sell" for a dollar to just the parents. Since it is a family transfer, all benefits will stay intact.
If you "sell" back to the parents, is there a risk that BG might ROFR?

Charles

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you "sell" back to the parents, is there a risk that BG might ROFR?

Charles
No.
family transfers are not subject to ROFR.
But please confirm this with Kris Koski, she is the expert. She will tell you how things need to be worded.

Do not trust the people you get on the phone at Bluegreen. They are not as well versed as Kris.

tatertots123

Reaction score

Our understanding is that everyone is on the deeds. After the original owners pass, we may not be on the hook though?

tatertots123

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure. I know they get points and free weeks and the hotel doesn't matter, just the time of year affects the amount of points the stay might be

tatertots123

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure. I know they get points and free weeks and the hotel doesn't matter, just the time of year affects the amount of points the stay might be

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our understanding is that everyone is on the deeds. After the original owners pass, we may not be on the hook though?
Nope. After the original buyers pass, those left on the deed will be the 'successor ' owners and will be 'on the hook'.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only.
I would contact a real estate lawyer and ask this question.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your name is on the ownership then you are an owner.

my last comment.
please contact Kris Koski, she is the expert.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suggestion only.
Not necessary, as far as Bluegreen is concerned, they are on the ownership, they are owners.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree with the above. Heirs are not on the hook but if you are on the deed/contract you aren't an heir, you are already an owner.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only.
Totally disagree. Lawyer would have to learn bluegreen system and would tell her exactly what other bluegreen owners are telling her. And cost her plenty too

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Lawyer would have to learn bluegreen system and would tell her exactly what other bluegreen owners are telling her. And cost her plenty too
Why would a lawyer need to learn Bluegreen System? The question is simply can a relative legally removed their name from their in-laws deed.??? That they do not want to inherit ; when their in-laws passed away/expired. Also, there are other relatives that signed this deed. What about their rights and responsibilties?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why would a lawyer need to learn Bluegreen System? The question is simply can a relative legally removed their name from their in-laws deed.??? That they do not want to inherit ; when their in-laws passed away/expired. Also, there are other relatives that signed this deed. What about their rights and responsibilties?
It's not a deed.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a deed.
And that is why hiring a lawyer us an unnecessary expense because he would eventually find out exactly what was told here and that they will have to pay bluegreen and get all signatures to change the name on the deed.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And that is why hiring a lawyer us an unnecessary expense because he would eventually find out exactly what was told here and that they will have to pay bluegreen and get all signatures to change the name on the deed.
Correct

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please read the tropics of this thread.
It mentions Bluegreen deed; even the OP, of this thread, in post #9, mention the word deed.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It mentions Bluegreen deed; even the OP, of this thread, in post #9, mention the word deed.
Bluegreen sells vacation club membership, that is not deeded.
did you have a lawyer when you bought or sold a timeshare?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Pedro,
Obviously you are not familiar with the. Bluegreen Product.
Yes, people mention deed but you own points in a Vacation Club.

my reference to Kris Koski at Sterling Title Company. She is a real estate para professional that works at a real estate closing company that does commercial and residential real estate closings as well as TS. They are one of only two closing companies that are authorized by Bluegreen to transfer/close BG ownerships.
If you have your closing to LTT, they would forward to Sterling to do the closing.

I assume you are trying to be helpful but in reality BG doesn't want anyone off the " deed"/Ownership because everyone on it is on tbd hook for the maint fees.
General real estate or estate lawyers don't have knowledge of this particular ownership.
The attorneys at Sterling are well versed in this and their associate Kris can guide them.

I have my family members on my ownership and when I don't want the ownership any more I will first remove them/do a transfer to my name alone and then take it from there.

As we know, no one/heir can be forced to take an ownership like this.
But if your name is on it, you are an owner and would need to continue to pay.