• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible scam...has anyone heard of resorttransfergroupsales, apparently of St. Louis, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is your experience with the same company? The eBay seller Resort Sales Group that the OP identified through the email address has been a member of eBay for less than three months (only since October 2019). Their very first timeshare sale on eBay probably hasn't even closed yet. That is the reason for 7 feedback. One of the feedback was positive but the comments read negative by stating they hadn't even started closing a month after they paid.

Does anyone know the timeshare exit company behind this outfit?

I think it is a safe to say that most exit companies are sloppy at best, scam at worst, when it comes to disposing of the timeshares. They just want to be rid of it at all costs and if a few misrepresentations happen along the way, oh well.
They started selling on eBay last May-June timeframe.
Square One is the exit company. That’s where the phone calls go.
Sales department goes by Resort Sales
Closing department goes Resort Transfer Group

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy. I found this TUG thread about this firm, Square One. Pretty disgusting...including information about the sex offense. I didn't know who I was dealing with...and who TUG is accepting listings from. Be careful anyone who deals with this firm.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are you wasting your time with this? Seller said they are not going forward with the deal. I think the word they used is "Cancelling". Move on...

George

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
They started selling on eBay last May-June timeframe.
Square One is the exit company. That’s where the phone calls go.
Sales department goes by Resort Sales
Closing department goes Resort Transfer Group

if they started selling on eBay 7-8 months ago it was under a different name because this eBay profile is less than three months old.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Oh boy. I found this TUG thread about this firm, Square One. Pretty disgusting...including information about the sex offense. I didn't know who I was dealing with...and who TUG is accepting listings from. Be careful anyone who deals with this firm.

Yes, a convicted felon.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
BFE7A99A-10EE-4D9D-8E29-CF5D2BEECE07.png

That’s what my PayPal invoice showed 5 months ago
Melissa left the company, then they changed to resortsalesgroup

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Andre, I'm impressed. Is your transcribed conversation with Mariah verbatim and from recording or simply recall? :ponder:

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Andre, I'm impressed. Is your transcribed conversation with Mariah verbatim and from recording or simply recall? :ponder:
WVBaker,

It's not a recording. It's my memory of the flow of the conversation and what was said, typed and posted soon after I hung up. While it was fresh in my mind. So maybe each individual word is not correct, but that is indeed "what" was said.

I'd never remember this two months from now (two days from now?) and wanted to chronicle the conversation right then and there since I planned on posting it on TUG and if I ever needed that information in the future.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are you wasting your time with this? Seller said they are not going forward with the deal. I think the word they used is "Cancelling". Move on...

George
bogey,

At first, I was simply bewildered. I just wanted input from others. Had anyone experienced these kinds of things before? Was I wrong to not want to sign that "I had read and understood the estoppel" when the estoppel indicated that past due was $721 and the alleged "this year's" MF was unpaid (when the ad said everything had been paid)? Was I being unreasonable (i.e., difficult)? I was actually feeling guilty that I was indeed being difficult and wanted others to assess if I was or was not.

That led to my wanting to actually talk to the company leading to my quest to get a number. They'd be able to see that I was not "difficult" but merely wanted some basic, simple information that they probably already had.

That led to the phone call that I posted from near simultaneous memory.

In fact, I just realized that the docusign she asked me to sign just said that I had read and had explained to me the estoppel....without copying the hand annotated estoppel. What if the REAL estoppel sent to them by the resort indicated that the past due MFs were actually $5000? So I had a reason right there not to want to sign that broad, all-compassing docusign, even though my initial objection was that the estoppel "merely" indicated that $721 past due and this year's $469 were, as the time of the prep of that alleged resort estoppel, unpaid (while the ad said everything had been paid).

So now what? Their ad is still on TUG. Do I do nothing and let someone else sign that estoppel. When I know that even this year's alleged MFs, allegedly stated by the resort, is significantly higher than what they indicated? In fact, that estoppel could have been an estoppel from another resort that they pulled out of another file, or perhaps was simply prepared (i.e., fabricated) by that timeshare exit firm.

Who knows. So now I'm grappling with what to do about it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Plus...I called the resort...I already own there....and they said that $469 for EOY maintenance was incorrect. It is well over $500. You should see this hand-written estoppel. Looks like a kid filled it out.

So....it looks pretty fishy to me.
The estoppel comes from the resort. Did you send it to them? Did they confirm they created it or not? This seems to be the main issue.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The estoppel comes from the resort. Did you send it to them? Did they confirm they created it or not? This seems to be the main issue.

I've got a call in to the general manager whom I know personally. I don't think the resort would "create" anything that does not identify the resort, does not identify any unit # (or other identifying information), and that is merely a form where blanks are filled in. So maybe they (Square One) called the resort and the resort simply provided the info over the phone (although the fact that even the current MF is an incorrect amount would tend to indicate that it was not information received from the resort "just a short while ago".

Moreover, she kept insisting that what appeared to be "$721" (with no decimal point whatsoever) was actually $7.21). The form' blanks indicated this: "Is this in collection (Y/N)" and Y was circled.

Would the resort put someone in collections because someone somehow owed seven dollars and twenty-one cents prior to this year (with MFs still payable without late fee as yet)?

So I wasn't comfortable with signing the "zero exhibit" docusign when too many things seemed questionable, and the estoppel (such as it was) plainly indicated money was owed and not 100% paid.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I'm waiting on an ownership to close from these folks. The purchase price was minimal - $25 - so I'm just sitting back and crossing my fingers. I would not feel comfortable handing them any real amount of money, but that was within my comfort zone. I think it looks like they do actually try to transfer ownerships, and if there are no wrinkles, the transaction proceeds. If I were you, I'd avoid this one, it feels full of wrinkles.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on an ownership to close from these folks. The purchase price was minimal - $25 - so I'm just sitting back and crossing my fingers. I would not feel comfortable handing them any real amount of money, but that was within my comfort zone. I think it looks like they do actually try to transfer ownerships, and if there are no wrinkles, the transaction proceeds. If I were you, I'd avoid this one, it feels full of wrinkles.
Thanks synergy. Thanks for getting back to me after my PM to you yesterday (your having posted in another thread some time ago).

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I'm on a cruise so I'm not as responsive as I'd usually be, but I wanted to let you know where I stood with them.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who may be interested (and I recognize that many may not be), attached is the estoppel form. Somehow, I would have thought a lega
square one estoppel.jpg
square one estoppel.jpg
l estoppel used in closing real estate transactions would be a bit more professional.

Also, it clearly was not prepared "just a short while ago" (making it sound like it was a few days ago when I spoke to them) by the resort since an every other year odd timeshare is allegedly available for 2020 use.square one estoppel.jpg

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talked to owner services.

After I told them what I wanted to confirm, they quite naturally asked me for a "unit number or last name". I said their estoppel had no identifying information whatsover.

They then told me, without knowing which account it was, there was no way they could tell me anything about the specific balances owed by that account.

I then asked about the alleged $7.21 and the alleged 2020 MF of $469.10.

The person told me that she could not recall any "past year's" delinquency of $7.21. She said she looks through delinquency information all the time and, if there is a delinquency, tries to collect it. Theoretically, for that small amount, it might have been some incidental that was unpaid that usually would get quickly paid after their call and/or letter. But, again, she couldn't remember seeing anything like that. But, if she knew which account, she could tell me right away.

$469.10 was last year's maintenance. The timeshare exit company must not have called anytime during January as what's her name claimed. Furthermore, the timeshare exit company likely called earlier during 2019. If a timeshare exit company had called later in the year, after 2020 MFs had been established, they would have said "in 2020, it will be....". Only if they had specifically asked what 2019 MFs (which would have been a strange request if asked in later 2019) would they have been told the 2019 MF.

The last question I asked I think is important for everyone to know. I asked, "What if $1000 was past due when I bought a timeshare...and all that was done by the selling firm was to change names at the registry of deeds, Would I only owe whatever might be owed thereafter or would I owe everything that was as yet unpaid?

The answer: everything that was as yet unpaid.

It would have been nice to hear that they would go after the old owner, and only the old owner, for anything unpaid as of the time of closing, but that is NOT the case.

So beware timeshare exit companies that may not be as forthcoming as they should about past due balances. Their only objective is the name change on the registry books. That's their success, not getting you as the buyer what you think you're getting.

Not saying this what was going on here, perhaps they're just sloppy when they say 2020 MF is $469.10...or that you can use the unit in 2020 despite it being an every other year odd. Maybe their closing department is far more on the ball than what's her name.

But I don't know that...and in any case I'm no longer involved since I'm too "difficult".

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
For those who may be interested (and I recognize that many may not be), attached is the estoppel form. Somehow, I would have thought a legaView attachment 16383View attachment 16383l estoppel used in closing real estate transactions would be a bit more professional.

Also, it clearly was not prepared "just a short while ago" (making it sound like it was a few days ago when I spoke to them) by the resort since an every other year odd timeshare is allegedly available for 2020 use.View attachment 16383
I can't read what you posted, but there is some confusion here. If the document didn't come from the resort, it is not an estoppel certificate/letter. The whole point is to have come from (ie. created and sent by) the entity that ultimately will come to collect.

If it was drafted by the seller or their agent or anyone other than the resort/management, regardless if they "took it down from the resort..." it's not an estoppel.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
For those who may be interested (and I recognize that many may not be), attached is the estoppel form. Somehow, I would have thought a legaView attachment 16383View attachment 16383l estoppel used in closing real estate transactions would be a bit more professional.

Also, it clearly was not prepared "just a short while ago" (making it sound like it was a few days ago when I spoke to them) by the resort since an every other year odd timeshare is allegedly available for 2020 use.View attachment 16383
That’s the estoppel? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL::LOL: Every TS estoppel I’ve gotten was typed, with unit number, previous owner’s name, contract number, and phone number of resort rep where I can confirm such information, etc.

I almost cried laughing about the “estoppel.”

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s the estoppel? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL::LOL: Every TS estoppel I’ve gotten was typed, with unit number, previous owner’s name, contract number, and phone number of resort rep where I can confirm such information, etc.

I almost cried laughing about the “estoppel.”

I agree. It actually looks like the form that a potential "seller" would fill out when submitting his/her Timeshare to someone (for marketing purposes).

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
My 2 cents. I had a deal go south with them ROFR from HGVC. Refunded from Paypal this week. Process was long but they did refund me so they are ok for that in my book. Mariah was much more customer service oriented than the transfer lady...

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Talked to owner services.

After I told them what I wanted to confirm, they quite naturally asked me for a "unit number or last name". I said their estoppel had no identifying information whatsover.

They then told me, without knowing which account it was, there was no way they could tell me anything about the specific balances owed by that account.

I then asked about the alleged $7.21 and the alleged 2020 MF of $469.10.

The person told me that she could not recall any "past year's" delinquency of $7.21. She said she looks through delinquency information all the time and, if there is a delinquency, tries to collect it. Theoretically, for that small amount, it might have been some incidental that was unpaid that usually would get quickly paid after their call and/or letter. But, again, she couldn't remember seeing anything like that. But, if she knew which account, she could tell me right away.

$469.10 was last year's maintenance. The timeshare exit company must not have called anytime during January as what's her name claimed. Furthermore, the timeshare exit company likely called earlier during 2019. If a timeshare exit company had called later in the year, after 2020 MFs had been established, they would have said "in 2020, it will be....". Only if they had specifically asked what 2019 MFs (which would have been a strange request if asked in later 2019) would they have been told the 2019 MF.

The last question I asked I think is important for everyone to know. I asked, "What if $1000 was past due when I bought a timeshare...and all that was done by the selling firm was to change names at the registry of deeds, Would I only owe whatever might be owed thereafter or would I owe everything that was as yet unpaid?

The answer: everything that was as yet unpaid.

It would have been nice to hear that they would go after the old owner, and only the old owner, for anything unpaid as of the time of closing, but that is NOT the case.

So beware timeshare exit companies that may not be as forthcoming as they should about past due balances. Their only objective is the name change on the registry books. That's their success, not getting you as the buyer what you think you're getting.

Not saying this what was going on here, perhaps they're just sloppy when they say 2020 MF is $469.10...or that you can use the unit in 2020 despite it being an every other year odd. Maybe their closing department is far more on the ball than what's her name.

But I don't know that...and in any case I'm no longer involved since I'm too "difficult".
These are examples of real estoppels. For the Wyndham one, the second page, which I didn’t upload, had the owner’s and resort rep’s contact info.

Attachments

• EC6D4C50-D9B1-42CB-B510-21DB6D5DB473.jpeg
    EC6D4C50-D9B1-42CB-B510-21DB6D5DB473.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 1689C0C3-DE1A-4E58-95A7-F3232DD9AC68.jpeg
    1689C0C3-DE1A-4E58-95A7-F3232DD9AC68.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 61

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't read what you posted, but there is some confusion here. If the document didn't come from the resort, it is not an estoppel certificate/letter. The whole point is to have come from (ie. created and sent by) the entity that ultimately will come to collect.

If it was drafted by the seller or their agent or anyone other than the resort/management, regardless if they "took it down from the resort..." it's not an estoppel.
Hi Davidvel.

Yup...that's the "estoppel" that they wanted me to acknowledge that I had received, read, and had explained to me. Of course, they never explained anything to me and when I asked (because there were unquestionably things that I knew to be inaccurate...and it was certainly not indicative of the MFs having been paid as per the TUG ad)...when I asked...I was told that she was going to cancel because I was too difficult. And they did cancel and returned my money back into my Paypal account. Are they crooked? Don't know...but about as unprofessional as can be. When you read TUG stories like "doctor-timeshare", you get reminded that you should always err on the side of being too cautious rather than too carefree.

Status
Not open for further replies.