• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible relocation to Raleigh, NC - please offer Pros and Cons

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember our first winter here in Eastern Virginia - my then husband and I drove to work, admiring the pretty snow on the grass (the grass - none on the road) Boy, were we surprised when we got there and found the doors locked!! because of ALL that snow:) As LI'ers we really thought that was funny

Schools are closed today because of the snow. Took me a long time to get used to having to listen to the radio to find out if that one inch of snow was going to close us down.

LOL ! I hear you! Everyone here is in a tizzy today because we might get an inch of snow tomorrow. There will be a run on bread & milk at the grocery store tonight :)

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I didn't know they didn't have Mosquitos in NY in the summer.

to.

To my knowledge, NY does not have daytime mosquitos.

In NC, the daytime Mosquitos will eat you alive if you try to BBQ, sunbathe, garden, walk to your dog, etc. All day long, not just in the evening like most places.

Sorry Bucky to offend you. But we did not find NC weather to be uniformly bliss, I'm just trying to paint Joe a balanced picture.

We did not move away from NC because of the mosquitos or weather, but we sure dont miss them.

H

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
To my knowledge, NY does not have daytime mosquitos.

In NC, the daytime Mosquitos will eat you alive if you try to BBQ, sunbathe, garden, walk to your dog, etc. All day long, not just in the evening like most places.

Sorry Bucky to offend you. But we did not find NC weather to be uniformly bliss, I'm just trying to paint Joe a balanced picture.
H

Doesn't offend me in the least bit. What I find funny is that you moved from here to LA and we moved from Orange County, CA to here! Small world. I'll take daytime Mosquitos and humidity anytime over six lanes of traffic bumper to bumper in every direction and nobody speaking English any day.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Honestly, I spoke only English today and everyone in LA understood me. :D

Good one Ken. Since we left in 1990 things have obviously improved! Back then I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"! I also remember Bolsa Ave in Westminster. The fire dept actually made them put sub titles in English on their store front signs so they could find them when emergency calls came in.

On another note they are calling for a CHANCE of snow here tomorrow and have already set up schools to be released three hours early! Too funny. We surely don't respond well to winter weather advisories, but then again, we don't get many. Accuweather is still showing 66 on Tuesday and 70 on Wednesday! It's really tough down here!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason I love being in NC is how much I love snow, and *love* that no one expects you to do anything when it happens except go out and play in it. No one expects you to own a snow shovel, or have your back alley plowed/cleared. No one thinks you're odd if you want to stay home and have cocoa by the fire. No one expects you to get any work done. ;)

Where I grew up outside of Philly, people would get into violent fights if someone ignored the lawn chair placed in the parking space they shoveled out on a public street. While perhaps justifiable, that is a problem that you'll *never* have in NC.

And, at my cousin's house in upstate NY, my daughter got eaten alive by daytime mosquitoes this year, so I'm not sure what that is about...

I do love the list about living in NC. One other cultural difference that hasn't been mentioned: people will think you talk too fast. It took many, many years of practice for me to "slow down" enough for people down here to understand what I was saying (all of my professional jobs since college have involved some level of public speaking.) I had a good friend in college (I came to NC to go to college, and stayed) from Boston. When we talked to each other, we understood each other--but all of our other friends couldn't keep up! :p

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
One reason I love being in NC is how much I love snow, and *love* that no one expects you to do anything when it happens except go out and play in it. No one expects you to own a snow shovel, or have your back alley plowed/cleared. No one thinks you're odd if you want to stay home and have cocoa by the fire. No one expects you to get any work done. ;)

Where I grew up outside of Philly, people would get into violent fights if someone ignored the lawn chair placed in the parking space they shoveled out on a public street. While perhaps justifiable, that is a problem that you'll *never* have in NC.

And, at my cousin's house in upstate NY, my daughter got eaten alive by daytime mosquitoes this year, so I'm not sure what that is about...

I do love the list about living in NC. One other cultural difference that hasn't been mentioned: people will think you talk too fast. It took many, many years of practice for me to "slow down" enough for people down here to understand what I was saying (all of my professional jobs since college have involved some level of public speaking.) I had a good friend in college (I came to NC to go to college, and stayed) from Boston. When we talked to each other, we understood each other--but all of our other friends couldn't keep up! :p

Daytime mosquitos in NY now?! Ok, the whole east coast is off the list now. Joe you should move to California. Yes the traffic is insane, the cost of living an outrage and the people are loopy. But there's zero mosquitos. None, neither day nor night.

H

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Daytime mosquitos in NY now?! Ok, the whole east coast is off the list now. Joe you should move to California. Yes the traffic is insane, the cost of living an outrage and the people are loopy. But there's zero mosquitos. None, neither day nor night.

H

That's because they fog the whole state anytime one shows up! I'm sure that's great for everything you leave out and your lungs just love it also! When we lived there they were always fogging for fruit flies. Wonder how much DDT was in that "fog"! Now, throw in the incessant smog and you're all set.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mosquitoes in california

All kidding aside, we loved living in Southern Cali and I'm sure NY is just as nice, albeit for different reasons, to those living there. I'd take ny of these areas over some of the foreign countries I served in, any day.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read an article about Asian mosquitoes in New York. Seems they are daytime mosquitoes and are causing quite a problem. Google it!:bawl:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I'm pro the move to NC, I would agree that the summer weather is far better on LI. LI's weather gets tempered by the ocean, so summers are a little cooler and less humid then other inland areas. Mosquitoes are also far less of a problem on LI then down south.

Of course no place on Earth can beat the weather where I live now. It's 80's in the summer and 70's in the winter. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito. Of course, our COL is actually much higher them it is on LI and almost anywhere else in the US. Our property taxes are low, but our state has lots of other ways they tax us.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Good one Ken. Since we left in 1990 things have obviously improved! Back then I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"! I also remember Bolsa Ave in Westminster. The fire dept actually made them put sub titles in English on their store front signs so they could find them when emergency calls came in.
Wow, quite a racist rant.....

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
While I'm pro the move to NC, I would agree that the summer weather is far better on LI. LI's weather gets tempered by the ocean, so summers are a little cooler and less humid then other inland areas. Mosquitoes are also far less of a problem on LI then down south.

Of course no place on Earth can beat the weather where I live now. It's 80's in the summer and 70's in the winter. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito. Of course, our COL is actually much higher them it is on LI and almost anywhere else in the US. Our property taxes are low, but our state has lots of other ways they tax us.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but you can't drive to ski country! :D

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah...but you can't drive to ski country! :D

Damn, you hit the nail on the head of my biggest negative! I LOVE to ski and being in the mountains! We go skiing for 1 week each year at Park City and its my favorite trip of the year! If I didn't have little kids I'd go more then once a year.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
When did using the word "them" become a racist rant? Come on, give me a break!

"would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"!
This is racist intolerance, give me a break, the US is changing and becoming more diverse, get over it.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
"would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"!
This is racist intolerance, give me a break, the US is changing and becoming more diverse, get over it.

Um, you highlighted the word "them" in your statement.

I'm actually married to another race/ethnicity and my children are hapa (Hawaiian term meaning half). I have no problem with the US becoming more diverse. The racism card is pulled out way to often and unnecessarily.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Um, you highlighted the word "them" in your statement.

I'm actually married to another race/ethnicity and my children are hapa (Hawaiian term meaning half). I have no problem with the US becoming more diverse. The racism card is pulled out way to often and unnecessarily.

Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
"Good one Ken. Since we left in 1990 things have obviously improved! Back then I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"! I also remember Bolsa Ave in Westminster. The fire dept actually made them put sub titles in English on their store front signs so they could find them when emergency calls came in."

Who is "them"? You may have no problem with the US becoming more diverse but clearly Bucky does! Racist comments are just that, so you believe his comments are just fine--"Back then I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"!.

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is "them"? You may have no problem with the US becoming more diverse but clearly Bucky does! Racist comments are just that, so you believe his comments are just fine--"Back then I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "would the last American leaving Garden Grove please bring the American flag"!.

Bucky's post refers to an offensive bumper sticker. I do not see Bucky agreeing with that bumper sticker, do you???

The prior sentence Bucky wrote is "Since we left in 1990 things have obviously improved!" I am not sure what Bucky meant by that, but one interpretation is that Bucky saw offensive stuff like said bumper sticker in 1990 and things are improved since Bucky wouldn't see stuff like that nowadays.

I love LA & OC. I love to vacation there. I do not see racial intolerance when I visit. I wasn't there pre-1990. But, if I saw stuff like that back then, I would agree with Bucky that things are improved.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Wow, quite a racist rant.....

What a stupid comment! I spoke the truth of what I saw and know happened. Didn't offer any opinion on it, just the truth. Now my comment on nobody speaking English was probably out of line and I apologize for that but you are way out in left field. Only an idiot would turn this thread into a bandstand for themselves while the rest of us were just enjoying a little good natured humor.

The next time you accuse me of being a racist, look long and hard at my avatar. I served our country for over 34 years to give you the right to make a fool of yourself.

I'll say again, we left CA in 1990 and what I saw is what I said. Have a nice day.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Them is them, I guess? I don't know who them is or are? I don't think using the word "them", even in Bucky's context, makes it a racist comment or a racist rant.

I don't even think the bumper sticker is necessarily racist. If its referring to illegal aliens, then by definition they are not Americans. Do I think the bumper sticker is in poor taste - Yes. Do I think it's racist - not necessarily.

BTW, not that it really matters, but I'm actually pro-amnesty.

I guess maybe because his name is Bucky and he's from NC, it automatically makes it a racist rant!? :rolleyes:

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess maybe because his name is Bucky and he's from NC, it automatically makes it a racist rant!? :rolleyes:

Didn't say that, you did. He used this forum to make fun of non-english speaking people.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Only an idiot would turn this thread into a bandstand for themselves while the rest of us were just enjoying a little good natured humor.

This has nothing to do with me, so I guess I am not an idiot.:p:p

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Them is them, I guess? I don't know who them is or are? I don't think using the word "them", even in Bucky's context, makes it a racist comment or a racist rant.

I don't even think the bumper sticker is necessarily racist. If its referring to illegal aliens, then by definition they are not Americans. Do I think the bumper sticker is in poor taste - Yes. Do I think it's racist - not necessarily.

BTW, not that it really matters, but I'm actually pro-amnesty.

The sticker wasn't really referring to illegal aliens. This is probably going to be viewed as another racist remark by our resident expert but in 1990 at least there was an exit off of the 22 Fwy in Garden Grove for "Little Saigon". Now I'll admit for those of us that had served in the Far East, that was a little offensive. You have to remember we were only 15 years removed from one of our greatest blunders ever. For those of you that don't believe that, ask the families of the 58000+ names on the wall in D.C.

I'll stand by my comments and for those of you that think I'm just being a racist, do us all a favor and google it. For those of you that truly got what I was saying, thank you.

Joe, I'm sorry this thread got off topic but I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you and your family make. Good luck.

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As these comments have diverted WAY off topic, I hope that the moderator will intercede here.