• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Portfolio Program

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The more I learn about the portfolio program the more problems I see with it. Will MVCI fix it one of these days - now that they own Hyatt?
1) If you want to borrow portfolio points from the following year you have to pay the maintenance fees upfront resulting in double fees for the year. With any of the other programs we own, you can borrow without paying next year’s fees. MVCI is one example.
2) If you want to convert your owner’s week into portfolio points you have to decide almost two years out if your owned week is toward the end of the year. Ours is week 52. So - in January of 2020 would need to decide on week 52 of 2021 - so just under two years out. And pay the maintenance fees of course.
3). Portfolio points have to be banked by mid summer.
4). Seems like status in portfolio isn’t based on total of what you own but rather how many points you have in the program each year. At least that is what it seems. So constantly changing. With MVCI it is the same status whether you opt to convert your week or not.
5). And still fees - for guest certificates, housekeeping, etc. Looks like you only get one free housekeeping? Then it is $60?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but the program seems to have a lot of flaws.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The more I learn about the portfolio program the more problems I see with it. Will MVCI fix it one of these days - now that they own Hyatt?
1) If you want to borrow portfolio points from the following year you have to pay the maintenance fees upfront resulting in double fees for the year. With any of the other programs we own, you can borrow without paying next year’s fees. MVCI is one example.
2) If you want to convert your owner’s week into portfolio points you have to decide almost two years out if your owned week is toward the end of the year. Ours is week 52. So - in January of 2020 would need to decide on week 52 of 2021 - so just under two years out. And pay the maintenance fees of course.
3). Portfolio points have to be banked by mid summer.
4). Seems like status in portfolio isn’t based on total of what you own but rather how many points you have in the program each year. At least that is what it seems. So constantly changing. With MVCI it is the same status whether you opt to convert your week or not.
5). And still fees - for guest certificates, housekeeping, etc. Looks like you only get one free housekeeping? Then it is $60?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but the program seems to have a lot of flaws.

You seem to have a good grasp of the program. In short, it’s a disaster.

@alameda94501 made a number of outstanding threads which take a detailed look at HPP:

Click here for the HRC and HPC Inventory Post
Click here for the Introduction Post
Click here for the Request List, Wait List, and Reservations Post
Click here for the Annual Conversion Option Post
Click here for the Hyattizing and Developer Benefits Post
Click here for the Sales Tactics using the Reservation Site
Click here for the Maintenance Fee

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
@Sapper summarized things well, thanks to @alameda94501. I'll just add one additional comment: don't expect Marriott to clean up the mess or somehow sweeten the pot for HPP owners or even prospective owners. Marriott is focused on shareholder value, which means higher maintenance fees for Hyatt owners and a continued effort to find unknowing or naive HPP prospects to prey upon.

The ONLY value in the Hyatt portfolio is to buy fixed weeks resale in the legacy program. And there will be some deals available beginning in October when owners on shaky economic ground start to try to unload their ownership.