• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Popeyes really has the best chicken sandwich

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Hmmm, we'll never tell.....you just have to try them to see. Worth trying, that's all I will say.

Chick-fil-A is good enough, or I should say great enough, that it changed our habits
prior to EVERY trip out of town (when we drive).

We either pick up chicken biscuits if we leave in early a.m.(OMG), or chicken sandwiches if we leave
around lunchtime.
We crave them both, and are firmly stuck on that "tradition". And we always leave on our trip very happy.
Did just that on a trip to Charleston this past weekend.

The biscuits are akin to homemade ones--- fresh, hot, fluffy, & buttery good and almost falling apart, and the chicken
is tender and perfectly spiced. And the sandwiches, albeit different, are simply delicious in every way.
Good luck (and "You're Welcome").

What a way to start out on a rainy weekend to CHS! :) I don't like the chicken biscuits at Chick-fil-A. Too yeasty and sweet. I do love their sandwich and lately have been getting the chicken strips with honey mustard dipping sauce thinking myself saving calories on the bread. Definitely not a driving meal. 10 or more years ago, I used to get Popeye's chicken biscuits occasionally in the mornings. I recall it being overcooked and spicy. But I will try the sandwich one day. Just not near one very often. There is one on Folly Road on James Island but I only drive by it once a month at either 9AM or 3PM.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, we'll never tell.....you just have to try them to see. Worth trying, that's all I will say.

Chick-fil-A is good enough, or I should say great enough, that it changed our habits
prior to EVERY trip out of town (when we drive).

We either pick up chicken biscuits if we leave in early a.m.(OMG), or chicken sandwiches if we leave
around lunchtime.
We crave them both, and are firmly stuck on that "tradition". And we always leave on our trip very happy.
Did just that on a trip to Charleston this past weekend.

The biscuits are akin to homemade ones--- fresh, hot, fluffy, & buttery good and almost falling apart, and the chicken
is tender and perfectly spiced. And the sandwiches, albeit different, are simply delicious in every way.
Good luck (and "You're Welcome").

I am definitely going to try it next time I am near one. I don't need to much convincing :D - Thank you!!!!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I purchased my first Popeyes classic chicken sandwich.

I am giving warning to that other chicken fast food place that sales chicken sandwich.

Popeyes have you beat hands down IMO. In taste and size. IMHO.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pass a nearby Popeye's several times a week. The lines will have to get much shorter before I venture in.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I prefer the Spicy Option.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
had it this week for the first time, I thought it was awful.

way too much breading, way too much mayo...and the pickles were funny.

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to a Popeye’s last week to try the sandwich but none of the stores in the Des Moines area have them. We ate there anyway and found the place filthy (in and out of the restaurant) and the food we did order not very good. I doubt if I can get my wife to go there again even when they offer the sandwich.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will agree on this point, the Popeye’s building is not as fancy and bright as the other brand name fast food chain restaurants .

Compared to some other fast food restaurants in our area.
Popeye’s is a hole in wall.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I will agree on this point, the Popeye’s building is not as fancy and bright as the other brand name fast food chain restaurants .

Compared to some other fast food restaurants in our area.
Popeye’s is a hole in wall.
Our Popeye's used to be a KFC. KFC went under, but Popeye's is thriving. Still haven't had a chance to try the fabled sandwich. I'll have to go by myself because DW didn't like their chicken dinner when she tried it.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Popeyes workers so stressed and busy that some brawled with each other.

geekette

Reaction score
Best part of Tug - anything can be interesting here.

Not generally in the market for a drive-thru chicken sandwich, but would point car to Wendy's.

On my last job, we had to travel out of state to training, always by car, and we took turns in who chose eating establishment. One of the guys is a big Popeye's fan, but I had never been. I guess the food was ok, but I wasn't blown away. For me, it wasn't chicken like I expect, has everything to do with herbs and spices. No one makes it like grandma did, so I had to lower my standards decades ago. I'm not a hot n spicey person, rather ruins it for me, and I think that's the difference that Popeye's has that will cause me to not be a regular customer. I don't recall there being actual food issues beyond "not to my taste".

Taste is subjective, and that's what makes a market.

I am much more of a fried chicken person vs sandwich, and generally get my fried chicken from one of the grocery stores that does it well (I have many options around here). A leg and a thigh, and I'm happy. It is important to time it right, however, as chicken fried hours ago sitting under heat lamps is generally not good. I can tell you that between 4 and 5 is when to hit the busy Kroger, some Meijer stores seem to keep frying all day, but get there before 7pm. yeah, I'm a geek, I have my data....

KFC lost me long ago. I could not identify what that layer of gook was between chicken and crisping. Then they would only do extra crispy in the spicey variety. Broke down a time or two and got old dried out chicken which fully sealed the No Go for me. Too bad, really, one would think that a place that specializes in chicken would actually, you know, make it special.

If others dig Popeye's, I'm glad for them, probably a great replacement for KFC. I miss when Hardee's did good fried chicken, but that is long ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We went to a Popeye’s last week to try the sandwich but none of the stores in the Des Moines area have them. We ate there anyway and found the place filthy (in and out of the restaurant) and the food we did order not very good. I doubt if I can get my wife to go there again even when they offer the sandwich.
Do you blame her?

Brett

Reaction score
Today I purchased my first Popeyes classic chicken sandwich.

I am giving warning to that other chicken fast food place that sales chicken sandwich.

Popeyes have you beat hands down IMO. In taste and size. IMHO.

I'm still waiting for the drive thru lines to go down

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken the time to read this post until tonight -- nearly three weeks since the initial post -- because I haven't been aware of a Popeyes location anywhere near me. However, tonight I noticed there have been 62 replies to the post and that made me curious. How could there be that much to say about a chicken sandwich? After reading through quickly, my next step was to Google location nearest to me. Turns out there is one in the next town over, but would take 20 minutes to drive there. (Nothing else of interest to me near to it.) So, I guess I have not been pursuaded. Hopefully I will remember this post. the next time I see a Popeyes.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If only Popeyes service matched their taste. Service at our local Popeyes is so bad I refuse to go back. The last time thru they had my order sitting at the window, but the cashier was to busy talking with another employee to hand it to me. I literally looked at my order for 5 minutes before she opened the window to hand it to me. When I got home with that order, it was just the chicken. No biscuit and no sides

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
When I had my Popeyes chicken sandwich I was in the restaurant at 10:45 am. The restaurant opens at 10:30 am. It was clear neither the tables or the soft drink dispenser had been wiped down or cleaned in any way at closing time the previous night. I believe that is a Corporate problem and not just with the franchisee as I've seen this in multiple locations in three different states. Popeyes are dirty.

Reactions: DrQ

Brett

Reaction score
I tried the Popeyes chicken sandwich today
ordered the classic in the drive-thru but got the spicy, didn't notice till I got home
But it was very good - better than Chick fil-A and KFC

Last edited: