• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pool with Algae - Pool RX

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
If you have a swimming pool and are constantly battling algae I have to recommend you try Pool RX. I have been battling algae every year from about spring to fall. Not a lot of algae but just enough that if I didn't brush the walls of the pool (where the automatic pool vacuum couldn't reach) that green stuff would start forming. I always was good at testing my water. In fact a few weeks ago I took my sample to leslies pool to complain about the algae starting to come back in the pool. The guy tested my water and confirmed what I knew which was my chlorine and ph levels were perfect. In fact he complemented me and said this was the best sample he had tested in a long time. Oh and no phosphates in the water either. So I then complained to him about the algae that forms in the spot where the vacuum doesn't reach. He agreed that sometimes your water can be kept perfect but with the heat and sun you will still get some algae if you dont constantly brush it. He then suggested I try Pool RX. He said all the pool guys use it and it wlll make the algae go away and also you will use less chlorine. A friend of mine had recommended this to me a couple of years ago and I just kind of blew him off because I thought I had it under control.

So I purchase pool RX at Leslies ($99 for a 25k-30K gallon pool). They do have a smaller size. Its about the size of a large fist and you place this plastic device that has some sort of chemicals in it the the basket closest to your filter. He said it would take about 5 days to work. He was wrong. Within about 3 days I could see the algae disappearing and the blue color returning to the pool. Its really unbelievable. I have never seen a product this good. Within 5 days my pool water was crystal clear blue and all signs of algae are gone. Its now going on about three weeks. The water is perfect. I also have noticed I am using about half the normal about of chorine which the product advertises it does. This will more than make up for the cost of the pool RX. They say this product will last for a year. In a year you just buy another one and pop it in. The guy from Leslies also said it does no harm to the water and is safe which concurs with reviews I have read. So if your pool has algae you can't get rid of try Pool RX. I know you will like it. My wife also asked me what I had done to the pool water because it was no so blue. I love looking at that pool now.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The active ingredient in PoolRX is copper sulfate, which has long been used to treat algae in marine applications. It's also in lots of other similar pool algaecide products. Note that too much can cause staining and turning blonde hair green, so don't use more than recommended.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The active ingredient in PoolRX is copper sulfate, which has long been used to treat algae in marine applications. It's also in lots of other similar pool algaecide products. Note that too much can cause staining and turning blonde hair green, so don't use more than recommended.
I remember my mom using copper sulfate in our pool growing up and my brothers hair would sometimes turn green. IIRC, she would put it inside a leg of a pair of pantyhose and then in to the skimmer basket. That was over 30 years ago. So it isn't a now product, just fancy marketing?