• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pool Remodeling

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I like the blues much better than the copper color you originally chose. More vibrant.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
1596981269025.png

Am I looking at your choices correctly here (I removed the carpet influence to see just your tiles)...

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If so, I like the tile choices in the green rectangle better than the pink rectangle as the tiles in the green rectangle seem sharper visually. The pink rectangle tiles look a bit dirty in appearance (I guess the brown hues in the top row of the pink rectangle tiles suggests that to my eye)....but as noted by @Beachclubmum the coping might sway the opinion....

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Ha! When I looked at the first photos you chose, my personal favorite was the blue patterned tile you are now considering. Wished I’d chosen one like it for our pool. However, after looking at the photo of your home and setting, I thought the tan better. Of the two blue choices, I think the one of the left pops and the one not the right recedes more. Ultimately your choice and whichever will look good.

Last edited:

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
At the end of the day, I think they’re both good choices. Seen in isolation I like the darker blue. However, imagining the coping I think the more teal might be better as a transition from the dark blue pool. Finally, in your shoes, I’d be looking at them outdoors by the pool...if that’s interior lighting with the samples you posted it totally changes things.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Here is the blue one in the store. As you can see, the solid tile has significant variations in tile. So it is really not as dark as it seemed in the prior pictures. The Store only has darker samples in stock.

DCB19599-4CD4-401C-93BB-077CE41D6EF2.jpeg

Here is with the coping. The sun was really strong that day so the blue solid tile looks darker than it actually is. It had more reflection from the sun for some reason. Maybe because of the angle of the camera. I think either color scheme is fine with the coping. In this photo, you can see the 1x1 tiles we would use for the steps and the top of the spa. The second one shows the variation is the solid tile because both the solid tile 6x6 and the 1x1 tiles are from the exact same collection. You can see it ranges from light blue to dark blue. Hopefully when they install the 6x6 solid tile, they would get an even distribution across the color range.

8B9BFFE8-A3ED-45E4-8784-3EA8BB5EB27D.jpeg
2071EF38-492C-4820-A895-9F6F5FBF8B7F.jpeg

BTW, the water bottom will not look as dark as the color sample when the pool is filled with water. It should look like a medium blue. The current water looks teal so that is probably why the teal next to the coping and water looks better.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Here’s another combo. The lighter deco tile with the blue solids. My initial thought was the blue was too bold for the lighter deco tile.

8EF8AD92-DDFC-4AF4-AE61-59C0BB902F39.jpeg

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am remodeling and resurfacing my pool. I have been planning to do this for well over a year. With Covid keeping us home, I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and make an investment in a smoother, more beautiful pool.

After a lot of going back and forth, I have decided that we will resurface the bottom of the pool with Aquabright in the Blue Lagoon color.

This product is smooth like orange peel, which is important to me because one motivator for resurfacing is that the current rough plaster tears my bathing suit. Also this product lasts longer than plaster and does not require the same complicated chemical balance that plaster needs. Our pool’s plaster bottom was ruined because the last owner did the chemicals herself and she did not do it right. Finally I like that this product has a more even application and is more stain resistant than plaster. Our current pool is discolored and the bottom looks dirty all the time. We also considered installing a white fiberglass pool bottom but decided to go with a color instead.

Now I am deciding on tiles and this is where I could use some TUGGER input. Any input on the tile designs?

Here is one tile design that I like. It is a stone-like tile and the colors seem to match the new blue pool bottom as well as the rust-colored coping around the pool. Our house is Mediterranean in style and has a lot of stone and a red brick roof. We would install 1 deco tile for every 3 solid tiles as shown in the photo.

View attachment 24431
View attachment 24432
View attachment 24433

Here is a shot of the back of our house and the pool in its current condition (discolored teal plaster bottom - it still looks good from a distance).

View attachment 24436

This photo has a bit clearer images of the tile but we are only installing one row at the waterline as shown in the previous photo.

View attachment 24447

Here are some other tile ideas I am contemplating, although I think I like the one above because of how it blends with the color scheme and design of my house and pool. These tiles tend to look rather busy when seen all in a row so I might want to find a complementary solid tile for a 3:1 ratio like above. The tile company I have been selecting from is https://www.nptpool.com/tile/. They have many options and there are other tiles I really liked but then when I see them in the virtual app, sometimes they do not look as good as when just looking at the single tile.

View attachment 24437

View attachment 24444

View attachment 24445

View attachment 24446
Reminds me of Portugal and Spain..all so pretty!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here are some more photos in morning sun and shade.

FAC9B310-C3C1-4173-ADA0-AA590D0091F3.jpeg
B5F9D4D2-A84A-4E50-B9A9-83C1FB995924.jpeg
B200587C-65AF-407D-9922-C1C838846F11.jpeg
10AFDE66-E3C0-4D0D-AC39-EB148B0ADDBE.jpeg
C45B49B9-5075-48A5-9C58-58A3675406C1.jpeg

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we remodeled, we CAREFULLY picked out what we wanted (and did the same things you did) however, my husband went out to check the tile out and found that they had brought the wrong tile! (They were about 1/4 done). Additionally, because of the process involved, plan on variations.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few friends on Facebook said the teal tile looks like green algae.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few friends on Facebook said the teal tile looks like green algae.
Well, that's one way to think about it but I don't see that at all. :D (And we know algae, lol. We had problems with it pre-pool guy. It doesn't look like algae).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, that's one way to think about it but I don't see that at all. :D (And we know algae, lol. We had problems with it pre-pool guy. It doesn't look like algae).

I didn’t see it looking like algae until a few people mentioned it. Now I am worried I will see algae every time I look at it. :confused:

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Good job getting all the various lighting photos!!! I agree with klpca that you can’t go wrong. I’m still drawn to the teal a bit more too, but if you’re going to see algae go with the dark blue. It sounds like your heart is more that direction. I remember when black bottom pools were all the rage and they just seemed like such a black hole. Your new blue is dark but it isn’t all that dark so I think the border with a darker blue will be very pretty too. Plus the non-fancy tiles seem to have a more uniform pattern and I can see where that would be preferred.

Can’t wait you see the finished product!!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
ETA
The morning light photo; the dark blue looks really good in it.

Question: when you hold the tiles up on a vertical under the coping (as if they were glued in place) is there enough light to see the pretty pattern? That’s a detail I wouldn’t want to lose.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The color is of course a matter of taste. My preference is in the following order: light blue, dark blue, green. It is better to look at pictures of completed pools rather than look at the small tiles to see if you are going to like it or not. Green is actually not even close on my list for a pool. I love green as a color but I live in a suburb, big lots, so green is really not missing naturally from the pallet of colors. Blue on the other hand is a welcome addition. A light blue pool really opens up the space because it reflects light. Green on the other hand blends in with the environment if that is what you want to accomplish.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found another tile in a lighter blue that matches the patterned tile. Which do you prefer: light blue or darker blue?

2F633E33-0D89-4606-A999-FD0E9F9EEC9E.jpeg

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
They both look good, but my personal preference is the darker/richer blue color.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samples under water

EB3AC026-9554-4F5D-9E8A-31B4DB9E0EB2.jpeg

AFEA945F-6221-408B-848D-065B04007331.jpeg

EA16DBEA-C1D1-46F4-99CD-96EAA0525AEB.jpeg

CE055641-AF3D-43E3-A850-9FABF17B4238.jpeg

D4FEED6F-91BC-4AB4-9FA9-E5CC1B249F5E.jpeg

C22FBCD6-CCD1-4C85-810E-744353706B4C.jpeg

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the darker one a lot more but we can only see a small area. Here is what I try to do when I am making a big design decision - close your eyes and try your best to envision your choices. The darker blue is going to accentuate the shape of your pool. A color that is closer to your water color will blend in more and make the shape less noticeable. Only you can decide what you wish to do - accentuate the coping/outline/shape of your pool, or make the shape blend into the color of the water. You could also reach out to a designer that you trust to help you decide. Also, google your tile name/brand to see other people's pools with the same color.

For the record - our pool was designed to look "natural " but at the last minute I had a total brain fart and choose cobalt blue tile and dark red bullnose coping because it was very popular at the time. Worst design mistake ever in my life. I couldn't have hated it any more - and I had to live with it for over 20 years. When we resurfaced the pool we switched the coping to stone and waterline tile that matched. Now I love my pool. I just wished that *anyone* would have told me how much the coping/tile combo would accentuate the shape of the pool. It is either supposed to be about the shape of the pool or it's not.

Btw, I am sure that the reason that I like the cobalt blue/terracotta tile is because on the color wheel, these are complementary colors. It is natural to like those colors together. A more subdued coping color may look better with a more subdued terracotta. It is a bit hard to tell with photos of single tiles.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After 2 weeks of deciding on tiles and 2 trips to the tile store which is 50 min each way from our house, the pool company said they can’t install 6” tiles in a free form pool. They already priced out several 6” tile options for me as of 2 weeks ago. They neglected to notice that I have a free form pool. I feel like I can’t trust them to be detail oriented if weeks into this project, they just realized my pool is free form. They’ve been to my house, they have photos. Why the late revelation?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Bummer about the tile work issue. How did they not notice it's a free form pool? Lack of attention to detail. I'd look for another contractor.

FWIW, I still like the darker blue tiles. The teal ones DO look like algae. ;)

Dave