• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Polo Towers Owner Claims to be able to book Hilton resorts

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I am a HGVC owner who knows little about Diamond and only what I have heard about joining HVC. We have a friend who owns at Polo Towers and never uses the timeshare that she owns. However, she told me that she called up the other day and was told she could now book Hilton resorts. I tried to explain that for her to do that she needed to pay some money and upgrade to HVC. She said no she already has that privilege.

DRIless

Reaction score
Using Destination Xchange, one can book Hilton branded properties with a deposit of Polo Towers into the exchange, good for 5 years.
I agree and have always felt that DEX is not a good deal, too expensive and a little bit complicated with their tier levels, but if you need a place to park some credits/weeks, it's one way to do it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Using Destination Xchange, one can book Hilton branded properties with a deposit of Polo Towers into the exchange, good for 5 years.
I don't think she meant that. At first I thought that since Polo Towers is part of Diamond which s now part of HVC that is what she was talking about and missed the point that she had to pay to join HVC. Earlier today I started to think about the possibility that Polo Towers was an II resort so she couldn't exchange thru RCI. Now that Diamond was under the Hilton umbrella was Polo now an RCI resort so it could exchange thru RCI to get Hilton Timeshares without joining HVC?

rpennisi

Reaction score
I agree and have always felt that DEX is not a good deal, too expensive and a little bit complicated with their tier levels, but if you need a place to park some credits/weeks, it's one way to do it.
My one bedroom Polo Towers suite gets me a tier 5 (the highest tier is 6) with Destination Xchange. When in the past, I would bank with II the LV week, I could get Grand Luxxe and Marriott exchanges. Those Grand Luxxe exchanges ended for me with the Vidanta 1 in X rules and high resort fees. In addition I used to get 2 for 1 year membership offers from II, but have not for the past couple of years. So I banked my last two Polo Towers with DEX which doesn't charge me additionally for the membership and gives me 5 years to use the deposit. Used it for the first time for next February getting a two bedroom Palm Springs golf resort unit with the exchange fee from DEX cheaper than II. The tiers, so far, don't concern me because the level 5 covers most all the exchanges I have looked at to trade. And if I wanted to go tier 6, the upcharge isn't unreasonable.

Lately, the searches on II had been showing mostly AI required units in Mexico or Marriotts that are only studios. So for me, II is not going to work, and I'll let my membership lapse this year (maybe, unless the 2 for 1 shows up again).

I do agree that using DEX is somewhat cumbersome to use, but with a little practice works for me, so far.

Ron

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
My one bedroom Polo Towers suite gets me a tier 5 (the highest tier is 6) with Destination Xchange. When in the past, I would bank with II the LV week, I could get Grand Luxxe and Marriott exchanges. Those Grand Luxxe exchanges ended for me with the Vidanta 1 in X rules and high resort fees. In addition I used to get 2 for 1 year membership offers from II, but have not for the past couple of years. So I banked my last two Polo Towers with DEX which doesn't charge me additionally for the membership and gives me 5 years to use the deposit. Used it for the first time for next February getting a two bedroom Palm Springs golf resort unit with the exchange fee from DEX cheaper than II. The tiers, so far, don't concern me because the level 5 covers most all the exchanges I have looked at to trade. And if I wanted to go tier 6, the upcharge isn't unreasonable.

Lately, the searches on II had been showing mostly AI required units in Mexico or Marriotts that are only studios. So for me, II is not going to work, and I'll let my membership lapse this year (maybe, unless the 2 for 1 shows up again).

I do agree that using DEX is somewhat cumbersome to use, but with a little practice works for me, so far.

Ron
Great info

Bill4728

Reaction score
To the OP

Your friend may think she is booking a HGVC resort " a Hilton Resort" with her points BUT may actually booking a DRI resort which the branding has changed to Hilton Vacation club - HVC.

I'm an Embarc owner and can use my points to reserve the HGVC at Whistler. Wow!! BUT it turns out that HGVC at Whistler is just a rebranded Embarc resort.

rpennisi

Reaction score
To the OP

Your friend may think she is booking a HGVC resort " a Hilton Resort" with her points BUT may actually booking a DRI resort which the branding has changed to Hilton Vacation club - HVC.

I'm an Embarc owner and can use my points to reserve the HGVC at Whistler. Wow!! BUT it turns out that HGVC at Whistler is just a rebranded Embarc resort.
That's what I meant in my earlier post that DEX can get you DRI resorts that have been rebranded as Hilton Vacation Club.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
ask your friend to visit and show you the reservation system she is using?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that is a great real world example of DEX, thank you for posting!